Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: The scary-ass 'dips' on Pinterest?

Default The scary-ass 'dips' on Pinterest?

Maybe there's already a thread for this, but if not...

Some of the things that masquerade as dips on that site frighten me. I mean:
    Red Velvet Cake Batter Dip | Peanut Butter and Peppers

And what about the 'eight million great ingredients that we've just lumped all together and are calling it a dip just so it has a name' recipes?

inspired by charm: very PINteresting {delicious dips}

Reminds me of (Nsfw language)
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Maybe there's already a thread for this, but if not...

Some of the things that masquerade as dips on that site frighten me. I mean:
    Red Velvet Cake Batter Dip | Peanut Butter and Peppers
    At first I thought the dip involved red velvet cake, peanut butter and peppers all together and I was going to hurl. I didn't realize that was the name of the site. It doesn't sound that bad except that the person decided to make it "healthy". FFS, if you need to be that healthy, eat a fucking apple and stop making stupid dips out of packaged processed cake mix filled with sugar. No amount of Greek yogurt is going to make that healthy. What an idiot. I guess that PhD in microbiology she's bragging about isn't helping too much with reading the ingredients on the back of the fucking box.

With that said, I don't really like sweet dips that much, I'd rather just eat a damn piece of red velvet cake once in a while.
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I think most of these 'dips' are just cleverly masquerading casseroles. But, you know, it's not cool to say 'casserole'
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I agree. I'm surprised there hasn't been a huge casserole revival among foodies and hipsters (unless there was one and I missed it). I guess dip sounds like party food and casserole sounds like a church potluck?
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Screw them, I love casseroles. And the only thing sweet that should be a dip is plain caramel or hot fudge. (With a few exceptions like the pumpkin dip I had last month which was unfreakingbelieveable.) Although throw some Rotel and cream cheese together in a crock pot and I am THERE!
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

It's funny, apples with caramel dip was the only thing that came to mind for sweet dip I like. The pumpkin dip sounds good, too and possibly something made from peanut butter would be good with fruit or pretzels. I'm not completely against it as a concept, but I like salty stuff too much to waste my time on dessert dip.

And I love casseroles too, for the most part. As long as it's got stuff I like in it already, what's not to like?

I wonder if someone has concocted green bean casserole dip. Blanched green beans with the soup and onion part as the dip?

Wait, of course they did.
    Green Bean Casserole Dip with Carrot Chips

Herb Mesa
    Ingredients
    Leftover Green Bean Casserole
    Fried Onions, brown (can use the leftover ones on top of the casserole)
    Carrots, sliced into strips
    Fresh Parsley, chopped
    Directions
    Reheat the green bean casserole in the oven. While heating the casserole, slice the carrots into strips. Once the casserole is heated, put the casserole into a food processor and blend to the desired consistency. Put the blended casserole into a bowl and top with fried onions and serve with carrot chips.

Green Bean Casserole Dip with Carrot Chips

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Holiday Green Bean Casserole Dip

Less than a week away from one of my most favorite days of the year! I hope you are all ready! We should probably begin to thaw our Turkeys in the refrigerator by tomorrow (at the latest) depending on the size of your bird.
    This year I am going with 18 lbs., the last two years, I have gone with 20 lbs. But, it seems as though we will have a few less people this year at Granny's, and it will save me 1/2 hour. And a 1/2 hour is a 1/2 hour. I can do a lot in a 1/2 hour. I can run 2 and 3/4 miles (I have not quite got 3 miles in 30 min. yet). I can cook any number of Rachel Rays 30 Minute Meals. I can sleep in. I can skim the news paper. The possibilities are truly endless!
    I can also whip this ↓ gem of a recipe I came up with the other night and bake it for 1/2 hour before my guests arrive. It would be a perfectly unique holiday teaser until the unveiling of the real star of the show comes along. And by that I mean, the mashed potatoes and turkey gravy! Who am I kidding, I love every last bit of every Thanksgiving morsel and creation!
    This recipe actually takes about 1/2 hour to prep and about 1/2 hour to cook. So one hour total. You could easily prep it the night before though.
    It is a really fun and super yummy twist on the classic!

Holiday Green Bean Casserole Dip

-16 oz. white button mushrooms (sliced)

-2 Tbsp. grape seed oil

-1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar

-2 tsp. fresh garlic (minced)

-8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)

-one 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup

- ½ c. sour cream

-2 c. bag shredded three cheese cheddar cheeses

-6 oz. container French fried onions

-1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

-S & P (1 tsp. each)

-one 14.5 oz. can green beans (drained)

-cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat an 8”X 12”X 3” pan with cooking spray (I am sure a 9” x 13” x 2” would work fine too) set aside. In a blender (or food processor) puree drained green beans with ½ of the can of cream of mushroom soup, set aside. Sauté mushrooms in grape seed oil until brown and cooked through (half way through cooking the mushrooms) add S & P, white wine vinegar, and minced garlic. When mushrooms are finished cooking, remove from heat to cool a little.

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, the other ½ can of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, ½ of the bag of shredded cheese, ½ of the container of French fried onions, the Worcestershire sauce, and the sautéed mushrooms. Mix all ingredients until well combined. Pour, and spread out evenly, in your greased pan. Spoon green bean mixture (in dollops) over creamy layer. Swirl green bean mixture into creamy mixture with a butter knife. Top dip with the other ½ of your shredded cheese and the rest of the French fried onions. Bake for 30 minutes (uncovered) until hot and bubbly. Eat!

P.S. I used thinly sliced French bread to dip in it but I am sure other things, like pita chips, would be good too.

I hope you all have a wonderful, memory making, crowded with family, football filled day! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    JULIE'S JAZZ: Holiday Green Bean Casserole Dip

eta - Ew! They put the first one in the blender? That's disgusting.
    ~Manx Mouse

I could eat green bean casserole and nothing else during the holidays. I love a good casserole.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Screw them, I love casseroles. And the only thing sweet that should be a dip is plain caramel or hot fudge. (With a few exceptions like the pumpkin dip I had last month which was unfreakingbelieveable.) Although throw some Rotel and cream cheese together in a crock pot and I am THERE!
    Brown a roll of sausage and throw it in the Rotel and Cream Cheese, and you have a little piece of heaven right there.

I fucking love dips and casseroles. I can eat dips like a meal. I just made the pickle wrap dip from Pinterest last weekend.

The Pizza casserole from Pinterest is awesome too. I have found some other casseroles on there are pretty bland.
    southernbelle likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Ooh! You have to post those Louis!

{for mamas}: Pizza Casserole

Pizza casserole. You could do variations of it, it's pretty basic. I don't know how to get the whole page with pics to post on here. I am technically challenged.

Also another dip, hubs fav.

1 roll sausage. any flavor
    1 can rotel, you choice on heat
    1 package of cream cheese

cream cheese at room temp is best. Pour rotel over it. Brown sausage, drain, and put over top of that. Stir together. Sometimes, I microwave in between stirring, because it makes it hotter and easier to stir. You can also put it in one of those little crock pots if having a party. It's awesome. Everyone I know now makes it.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

that video made me laugh

You're all doing my head in. Sweet dips? The fuck? My teeth hurt just reading those ingredients. And how did you get from cake batter dip to casserole? I don't see the connection, maybe your US definition of casserole is different to our antipodean one but to me a dip is like hommous or guacamole and casserole is a thing you bake, like chicken or beef casserole, and I was never tempted to stick some pita chips in and scoop it out.
    00Kimmi00 and levitt like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Yep, you've got it exactly. Crazy people out there are looking at casseroles and thinking...hmm...I think I'd like to stick a chip in there and make a dip out of this chicken casserole. That's why they're crazy. Although, I'm not going to lie, someone has made a buffalo chicken dip at the last two get-togethers I've been to with cream cheese, shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, and I forget what else, but that stuff was amazing too.

OK thanks, I thought once again something had been lost in translation. Like the way you guys can fill a bowl with canned whipped cream and marshmallows and call it "salad".
    twitchy2.0 and yanna like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    OK thanks, I thought once again something had been lost in translation. Like the way you guys can fill a bowl with canned whipped cream and marshmallows and call it "salad".
    Aw, I love Hawaiian salad once in a while. LOL I think that must be left over from the 1930s when everything came out of a can and it was actually fashionable to eat that way. And then there were the Jell-O salads.....I guess they were trying to make salad palatable to the meat and potato-eating masses, though it must not have worked very well.

The buffalo chicken dip sounds really good. I don't think it's any stranger than taco dip or other hot dips. Like if you made hot artichoke or hot crab dip, it could be served as a side dish as well I would think.
    ~Manx Mouse

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information