Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Vegans...

Default Vegans...

Do we have any vegans on GR? If so, I have a bunch of questions.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I'm not currently vegan, just vegetarian with some dairy, but from time to time I do go strict vegan. Maybe I can help?
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thanks so much for replying! Hub and I have been going vegan, but find it kinda difficult. So I am looking for tips to make satisfying great meals which don't rely on processed soy foods, soy cheese, etc. which all seem to be full of sodium and preservatives. Salads are fine, but both of us are getting really tired of them. I guess I am hitting the wall with preparing meals and getting panicky thinking about doing this for the long haul, but yet neither one of us wants to go back to eating meat or dairy.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Field roast is fucking amazing but the sodium is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have people say Field Roast is one of the best hot dogs they ever ate in their entire fucking life, I had to make a veg chili to top them off because I thought it would be wrong to smother them in my meat version. I just used the Italian Sausage variety of Field Roast (crumbled it up and sauteed with garlic then added tomatoes) for a pasta dish, very tasty.

Best friends are beans and quinoa; season like a mofo! We eat a ton of rice, quinoa (I can't pronounce is "keenwa" I just can't do it) mixed with veggies and avocado. We're not veg, we just don't eat meat every day. We do eat cheese and eggs.

It's best to avoid "fake meats" in general because they're highly processed nonsense.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

^^Exactly, sodium and other crap runs rampant. It seems like the only alternative is to make everything from scratch, which is hard when you can't use the ingredients you normally use. And I hate beans so much, argh. But I've found chick peas make a great tuna salad substitute. You can add vegan mayo, shredded carrots, celery, and some seaweed salt sub for the fishy taste.

I'm pretty sure aabbcc is a vegan. Maybe she'll pop on. My old co-worker was a vegan and she ate a lot of Indian food. Basmati rice, grilled veggies, curry, etc. I don't eat a ton of meat and I do a lot of stir fry dishes with zucchini, squash, peppers,etc. Farro is a great grain. Hard to find but delicious.

^Yep Indian food is great for vegans, although be careful about anything with ghee/butter. Middle Eastern food is also great (my personal favourite) because they use a lot of lentils, chickpeas etc in both hot and cold dishes, and at least one meal a day I have hommus and falafels with wholemeal Lebanese bread and tabouli. I also make curries and stir fries with tofu or occasionally grill it up for burgers. I also make sure I eat a big handful of fresh greens every day with whatever I'm having, as they're a good source of iron.

I just made a couscous salad with a tin of chickpeas (feeling lazy), capsicum, spring onions, cherry tomatoes and some chopped up black olives and artichokes. Took 5 minutes and it's delicious!

A*O

We have vegan phases and there's no getting around the fact it is more labour intensive, requires more planning and imagination and you can't afford to be too picky about useful vegan staples like pulses, a wide range of vegetables or spices. Trying to do it with packaged or processed foods is almost impossible and expensive. You also have to think about where you get your protein without meat, dairy or eggs. If you don't like beans/pulses you might have a problem as I guarantee you'll get sick and tired of tofu very quickly. We aways come unstuck when we see/smell a bacon sandwich.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yeah, aabbcc was always posting yummy stuff she made in the what are you eating now thread.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Faithanne, hummus is good for sure. I forgot about the ghee, ugh.
    AO, we both detest tofu, so that's out. Plus, soy foods aren't really all that healthy anyway. I can do lentils, I like those. But hubby hates them, haha. This is not as painless as I thought it would be. We both love meat, but after watching a couple farm docus, just can't eat it any more.
    Kris, haven't heard of Farro, will have to check into that. Love Basmati, Jasmine, etc.
    Greys, thanks, will look for aabbcc recipes.

A*O

Without soy, tofu or pulses you're going to have a problem getting enough protein. Maybe think about protein health drink shit but read the label as I think a lot of them are dairy based. Going vegan is great in theory, much harder in practice as you are discovering, especially if you can't bring youself to eat some of the vegan basics. You have to be really committed to do this and I admire anyone who can stick with it long term.
    Dame Edna Everage

I know a lot of people don't like tofu, but to me it has no taste at all and absorbs the flavours of whatever you're cooking it in. I would have turned my nose up at it when I was a meat-eater, but now I love it and eat it all the time. Maybe you just need a good tofu experience like the first time I ever had green curry tofu and almost ordered seconds it was so good.
    Waterslide likes this.

aabbcc always is talking about the best food. I always want to go to her house and eat what she's making.

Like A*O said, I think that if you don't like beans or tofu, being vegan is not going to be an easy route. It takes a lot of research and making most things from scratch, but I think most things should be made from scratch if you can do it. You can eat too much soy, and that can cause problems, but there are health benefits to tofu and a million ways to prepare it so you don't even realize you're eating tofu. I don't mean as fake hot dogs or processed turkey or things like that. Plain old tofu you can throw in salads, make "egg" salad out of it, or you can fry it and throw it in stir-fry or fried rice.

I was wondering why some of you say you go through periods of being a strict vegan, but then go off it. Is it because of convenience or for health reasons mostly?
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

A*O

We go vegan to give ourselves a bit of detox for a few weeks, not for moral reasons. Sorry my petard friends. Giving up meat isn't too hard but a future without fish, eggs or cheese seems pretty bleak to me.
    Dame Edna Everage

i enjoy vegan food sometimes but nothing will keep me from meat, cheese and eggs for very long. not to mention wearing leather.

but yeah, as others have pointed out, you're pretty fucked if you don't like beans and lentils.

if i were to go vegan, i'd make lots of indian food. corn is delicious too, i'd also learn to make corn tortillas from scratch, not the nasty tex-mex ones that are made with cornmeal but the real mexican and central american ones that are made with a different type of corn flour - don't know what it's called but i'm sure you can find it in salvadorean or central american shops. you can also stuff them by rolling the dough into a ball, making a little divet or hollow in it, stuffing it, and then closing up the hole before flattening the ball with a tortilla maker.

i'd also eat a tonne of mushrooms. find a good market that has a large variety and look up all the different ways to cook them. a lot of them are actually quite 'meaty' and filling.
    and look for vegan pasta too so you can eat that with mushrooms.

you can also make vegan variations of vietnamese bun, or vermicelli salad. with rice vermicelli, shredded lettuce, carrots, cucumber, green onion, chopped peanuts. and maybe marinated tofu or mushrooms as the 'meat'. and nuoc cham vinaigrette on the side. the vinaigrette is basically lime juice, brown sugar, chili garlic paste and fish sauce. not sure how to substitute the fish sauce which is what gives it that special taste but i'm sure if you google you can find vegan alternatives for it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information