Thread: Vegetarian substitutions

Default Vegetarian substitutions

okay... bought some morningstar crumbles and some extra-firm tofu.

I'm tired of eating the same ol' thing all the time. I'm wondering if I take "traditional" hamburger recipes, or mixes such as hamburger helper. can I substitute the veggie crumbles in these with a good outcome?

I'm looking for the "traditional" flavor without the bovine DNA..

Default Re: Vegetarian substitutions

Yes, you can. I do it all the time with soups, stews, casserole-type dishes, 'meat' loaves, pasta sauces. They won't taste exactly the same, but they'll still be delicious. Don't be afraid to play with recipes.

Good luck!

You might also want to try them as taco or enchilada fillings, even shepherd's pie.
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Do these substitutions cover actual meat's nutritional values? Sorry for the ignorance, I'm just wondering. My cousin was misdiagnosed with anorexia (she's dumb, and doesn't talk and her doctor certainly hasn't seen her eat... I don't know how so much food can fit into a woman that size), because she weighs around 90lbs at 5'4" and age 30. The thing is she's a vegetarian and a smoker, but she eats like a big teenage boy (plus she can't go for 2 hours without food). She's always complaining and crying that she won't gain any weight. The only times I've seen her gain a few pounds was when she was living at my house, and we tricked her into eating meat or put meat juice or lard into "innocent" looking rice and beans (we didn't do it for the bad though... it was sad to see her obsessing over gaining lbs, and she was so happy when she did). It's not that she doesn't like meat either, she has some childhood trauma with poorly prepared meat, but when she didn't know that hot-dogs and ham were meat (lol), she liked them. Now that she knows, she suddenly hates them. She gets anemic without the meat, and won't gain weight. Is that normal among vegetarians?

^^ It depends on the types of foods. A vegetarian diet can be very healthy or it can be very unhealthy.

If she is looking to gain weight and still be a vegetarian, she just needs to eat foods that are more calorie-dense and/or a bit higher in fat ... avocados, nuts, dried fruits, smoothies made with full-fat vanilla soymilk, high quality olive oil in salad dressings or drizzled on a baked potato, beans, full-fat tofu ... these are all healthy foods that will supply more calories and good fats.

Vegetarians who eat a good diet and get lots of variety tend to be very healthy, even strict vegetarians who don't eat dairy or eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc
    ^^ It depends on the types of foods. A vegetarian diet can be very healthy or it can be very unhealthy.

If she is looking to gain weight and still be a vegetarian, she just needs to eat foods that are more calorie-dense and/or a bit higher in fat ... avocados, nuts, dried fruits, smoothies made with full-fat vanilla soymilk, high quality olive oil in salad dressings or drizzled on a baked potato, beans, full-fat tofu ... these are all healthy foods that will supply more calories and good fats.

Vegetarians who eat a good diet and get lots of variety tend to be very healthy, even strict vegetarians who don't eat dairy or eggs.
    You can also add tofu and nuts to smoothies to boost nutrition and calories. I use frozen organic fruits like peaches and berries to keep it icy!

Gardenburger Original Burgers are DELICIOUS. They have mushrooms and rice and cheese in them and they taste delicious. Morningstar Farms also has these bacon strips that taste really good. For some reason, I like them better than real bacon.. maybe because I'm not eating a pigs ass and subsequently making my ass look like one too.
    I was a vegetarian for a while, but I foolishly still ate things with animal by products in them (lard in tortillas, shortening in cookies, etc etc)
    I certainly dont eat a lot of animal products today, but I'll occasionally eat shrimp or crab or some turkey breast.
    You really can get creative with vegetarian cuisine though.

Silver Member

I don't do fake meats, they are too expensive for me. I try to stick with bulk foods that are less than $1/lb and get creative.

You can make some nice veggie burgers by blending a can of black beans with mushrooms, corn meal, oats, and seasonings and cooking in a skillet. If you aren't vegan, you could add some egg.

Thread Information