Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Purely out of curiosity, what do you serve with an average meal?

Default Purely out of curiosity, what do you serve with an average meal?

That 'What are you eating' thread kind of covers this, but I'm more curious as to what kind of portions and how people balance starches vs veggies, etc.

In general I serve a meat or main dish, one steamed veggie or veggie medley, and an additional side like rice, potatoes or fresh fruit.

This is pretty standard for dinner around my place. We almost never eat just a main dish, unless its a stew with many ingredients.

Do you have a 'main dish' or lots of little things? Do you serve side dishes at all? Is your main dish often meat? Is fish common in your house?

We have so many members from different 'corners' of the world, and I'm curious how different our dinner routines are.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Ours is pretty similar. Main dish (almost always a meat or meat casserole), green side, other side (squash, potatoes, corn, rice whatever), and bread. Fish is not common at all, unless I take the notion to buy some frozen fillets on a whim, but that's just a personal preference. Another common thing at home is a meat dish like pot roast or sweet and sour chicken over a bed of rice and end it there or possibly sometimes green beans on the side.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Mine is similar as well. I like meat/fish, potatoes/rice, preferably a green vegetable and then something else like corn or raw tomatoes or fresh melon. Either that or salad beforehand. It doesn't always happen that way. I love bread, but don't serve that with every meal anymore for health reasons, but it's not a biggie. Or sometimes I make a huge salad with chicken, tuna, salmon, or whatever I have on hand. I like casseroles, but hardly make them for some reason. In winter, I'll make a big thing of soup and have fresh bread with that.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

In the summer its normally grilled beef/pork/salmon/chicken and corn on the cob , potatoes/baked beans and some fresh veggie like a green salad or grilled squash
    During the rest of the year its normally meat with pasta or roasted meat with potatoes or some other veggie, it all depends on how much energy I have left after making the main dish

Tortillas, beans, rice like any good Mexican.

If I do meat or fish, then definitely 2-3 sides.

If I make pasta it's generally just a salad and pasta, no meat unless I've gone full on guinea and made meatballs, braciole, etc- 'sunday sauce'. But that's a load of work and I only really do it in cold weather.

We do a few things that are all in one dish- like escarole, cannellini beans, and sausage, or salads with a meat, chicken or fish added. Those we normally eat without a separate side, but with something small before.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I like to do a lot of one-dish meals: slow-cooker stew, seafood chowder with lots of veggies, shrimp risotto with asparagus and parmesan, or a meat dish oven-roasted with veggies, sauce, and even fruit (I like the combination of red onions, bell peppers, apples and mango with pork or chicken, in a slightly sweet sauce, for example). With a meal like that, I may add a green salad or a single veggie side like (steamed broccoli, grilled zucchini, asparagus, or tomato, or sauteed kale are favourites).

When we were living with my in-laws, they were very much the "Meat main dish, starchy side, 2 veggie sides" types - not a lot of mixing elements of the meal together, stir-frying or one-dishing - and we cooked nearly every supper there so we adapted to that for awhile. It could get boring, though, and it often seemed like we were just reaching for a random vegetable to steam or a grain to boil rather than creating an interesting whole meal. I like to think about how the different flavours will work together which often results in fewer individual dishes on the table but the same number and variety of ingredients.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If I do meat or fish, then definitely 2-3 sides.

If I make pasta it's generally just a salad and pasta, no meat unless I've gone full on guinea and made meatballs, braciole, etc- 'sunday sauce'. But that's a load of work and I only really do it in cold weather.

We do a few things that are all in one dish- like escarole, cannellini beans, and sausage, or salads with a meat, chicken or fish added. Those we normally eat without a separate side, but with something small before.
    this, pretty much. when we have meat/fish, i usually make 2 sides, not 3...usually one salad/veg dish & then either beans or grain or greens of some type. and, once in awhile, bread or tortilla or naan or crackers or whatever bread-y type product goes with what we're eating. with the one pan meals (we have one that we love that has beans, asparagus, chorizo & croutons), i often do a small green salad as a first course. i do the same thing when i serve soup.

i forgot that in the warm months i also put fresh fruit on the dinner table; usually melon or berries. so, i guess that kinda counts as a third side.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Interesting. Those doing the one meat, one starch, one veggie meals: are your parents/extended families from the american south or midwest, by any chance? I'm curious if this is a result of food pyramid stylized meals, family tradition, or national tradition. I'm also curious how strongly british/european roots influence these meal selections, or if its a more recent phenomenon.

In movies from the fourties and fifties you often see JUST a meat and starch. If there's veggies at all, its often a salad.

Those of you who prefer the one dish mixed meals, was this the way food was in your house growing up or did it develop over time?

Only answer if you feel up to it Its not exactly keeping me up nights, but it is something I've recently noticed among my rl friends. Those from the south or midwest often do the meat/starch/veggie combo, but those who are broadly traveled or from large cities are more likely to do one dish or many small dishes.

My father always serves meat and bread and nothing else My hubby's single best friend does the same. Know any women with this pattern?

Also: Mmm, sauteed kale! I never thought of that. I do tend to pull things out of my garden at the end of the season where there's not enough of any one thing and stir fry it all, though, so I can imagine it.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I do a lot of one dish dinners, in summer that usually means a lot of Asian inspired soba or rice noodle salads with tons of veggies, lettuce, peanuts or cashews and ginger and sesame oil based vinaigrettes, or just a big salad (usually baby spinach) with nuts, cheese, other veggies, apple or dried cranberries or some other fruit for a touch of sweetness. Or I'll stir fry some kind of meat with veggies and serve it over rice or noodles or just on top of a lot of steamed broccoli. Also a lot of curries, Indian or Thai, usually with rice though I loved red curry soupy and with noodles.
    If I'm making salmon or some other fish I'll steam veggies as a side, like fennel or broccoli or something. I make a lot of gazpacho in summer and that keeps for days so I usually have that in the fridge and start dinner with that and then the fish and veggies or whatever I made, and in winter I make a lot of soups and start with that so I don't usually make any starches (half-assed attempt at limiting carbs to the first half of the day, and also because I'd rather drink my carbs out of a wine glass), unless I'm having people over for dinner or I feel like pasta or I've made a curry and then I'll make rice to go with it. And sometimes I'll buy fresh pasta like tortellini or ravioli and have a small portion of those as a starter and then have fish or chicken and steamed veggies.
    And sometimes dinner is just bread or those big Scandinavian crackers and cheese and herring or smoked salmon, pickles, etc, kind of a lot of little things, a habit I picked up from a Dutch ex boyfriend.

Growing up my mother did a lot of meat or fish dishes with rice and veggies as sides, but also lots of one dish meals like lentils and chick peas over rice or just pasta or eggplant parmigiana or moussaka or shepherd's pie, with salad as a side. My taste in food is definitely more on the Indian and Asian side than my parents ever was, but one way I do take after my parents is that I pretty much never have dessert, sometimes when I'm out at a restaurant and even then, usually shared. We were never a big dessert family, fruit was usually eaten with breakfast, school snacks or after school, and sweets were something we ate with coffee in the afternoon on weekends or when we had family movie nights or something, not a daily thing.

lol just did a dinner-festo!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i make the main dish (fish, shrimp, tofu, soup, pasta etc) and 1 side like cous cous, quinoa, or salad.

My hub is super picky, so my fall back meal is chicken breast, brown rice and a veggie. I love one pot meals like chicken stews, and live for a veggie stir fry over couscous, quinoa or brown/wild rice.

My parents are mostly Mexican, so our meals growing up were meat/rice/beans. I was a vegetarian for most of my teenage years, and mastered cooking pasta and frozen veggies to keep myself fed.

I haven't cooked red meat in 3 years since my hubby doesn't eat it and I don't care for it much either.

Also, I love all things soup. I can whip up soups from Morrocan to Italian to Jordanian to Mexican...I can happily enjoy soup in 106 degree weather--it's my favorite food!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I make veggies and fruit the main thing on our plates; tons of brown rice, beans, and avocado here... always a bit of spinach on the plate, too. I love meat and potatoes, a good stew, chili but there is always a pile of leafy green for the boy to eat. My son is hilarious, he'll compact his entire pile of raw spinach and roll it all up into one tiny little spinach roll thing and inhale it that way. In the summer there's usually a diced bell pepper/cucumber/carrot/avocado salad at the table; I know my son will eat it so it's a main stay. We eat meat maybe 2 to 3 nights per week. We love eating meat and my son is a bacon monster but he knows that he can't just stuff his face with that stuff and call it a day.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I grew up with very Southern parents. Always meat,potatos and 2 veggies plus cornbread or biscuits. Always fresh onions,tomatoes and cucumbers. Veggies, usually Italian green beans (Kentucky wonders per Mother) black eyed peas or crowders,field peas. We ate what we wanted and no one had to try a bite of anything unless we wanted to! Her fried chicken was great, her soups were to die for. Fresh as the key word with her and I have followed that rule.
    I do much more fish (salmon) with lemon and still have fresh tomatoes daily. I only use bown rice now, but the summer sends me straight to microwave or forget it! I try to use black beans, mustard or turnip greens a lot. Usually frozen.
    This summer I made a lot of our favorite sandwiches-salmon(in those packets) mixed with Dijon mustard, chopped olive salad & dill pickle relish. We love them with sliced tomatoes and purple onion.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

I grew up eating quite an "adventurous" diet, ie, not meat + 2 veg but "foreign" stuff so thats how,I cook. Lots of pasta a million ways, curries, one pot casseroles, stirfrys, always with plenty of green leafy veggies (MrAO is a vegetable nazi). Plenty of fish too. We tend to just dive into a main course, no starter, and I NEVER make dessert. Another habit from childhood and my weight obsessed mother. Maybe some cheese, crackers and fruit afterwards.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information