Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ravenna

Thread: Was Your Chocolate the Product of Child Labor? Possibly!

Default Was Your Chocolate the Product of Child Labor? Possibly!

Bad news for ladies who love chocolate but also possess a basic code of ethics. NestlÚ, after recently undergoing an investigation by the Fair Labor Association (FLA), have been accused of utilizing child labor in their cocoa-supply chain, which is a violation of the company's own supplier code.

The food purveyor had commissioned the FLA inspection after increased global pressure (to NestlÚ's credit, they are the first multinational chocolate company to allow the assessment), with the independent auditor mapping the chocolate supply chain in the Ivory Coast, starting in small villages and working their way up to the company's direct exporters.

The assessment discovered that while most of NestlÚ's primary suppliers had agreed to the company's code (which includes clauses on child labour, safety and working hours), violations ran rampant at the lower levels.
    Says FLA President Auret van Heerden:
    "Now that its supply chain has been mapped, NestlÚ will be held accountable. For too long child labour in cocoa production has been everybody's problem and therefore nobody's responsibility. NestlÚ is taking direct responsibility for decreasing the risks."
    Further demonstrating the unsafe working environment, several of the child laborers were found with wounds and scars on their legs, caused by the machetes used in cocoa farming. Worse still, many of the workers, adult and child alike, have been working without pay.

NestlÚ has agreed to take action, with their Executive Vice-President for Operations Jose Lopez saying:
    "The use of child labour in our cocoa supply chain goes against everything we stand for. No company sourcing cocoa from the Ivory Coast can guarantee that it doesn't happen, but we can say that tackling child labour is a top priority for our company."
    Nestle 'failing' on child labour abuse, says FLA report [BBC News]

Hey Ladies: Was Your Sweet, Sweet Chocolate the Product of Child Labor? Possibly!
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I adore chocolate so Nestle is not a brand a buy. I prefer it to not taste like chalky shit.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

What about carob??? Is it still okay to eat sweet, delicious carob?

The article seems to be trying to put NestlÚ in a bad light, or at least use these info for sensationalism, but after I read the article, NestlÚ's behavior is not as bad as it sounds.
    They did allow FLA to check and they did take responsibility, even if the cocoa providers are third party.
    I hope that other multinational chocolate companies will allow FLA to check. Child labour is horrible.

If I find out there is a such a problem in Lindt's supply chain, then I'm going to do the right thing-- stick my fingers in my ears and sing Mary had a Little Lamb.
    DeChayz and Honey like this.

I love my 70% or higher dark chocolate too much to care about child labor.
    I doubt Nestle pleases my palate.
    I buy the $$ shyt because it's oh so worth it.

A*O

This is West Africa and the rules are different to those we arrogantly assume everyone should follow. The financial and social structure includes young children working to support their families. Ivory Coast cocoa isn't grown on big, formally managed plantations: it's grown on family owned and run small holdings scattered throughout certain regions.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information