Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By greysfang

Thread: Judge Says Pom Wonderful’s Advertising Is Misleading

fgg

Default Judge Says Pom Wonderful’s Advertising Is Misleading

Judge Says Pom Wonderful’s Advertising Is Misleading

Pomegranate juice lost a little of its pizazz on Monday when Pom Wonderful, the company that made it a best seller on grocery store shelves, was ordered to dial down its claims about the extent of the health benefits its product bestows.

An administrative law judge issued a cease-and-desist order after determining that the company had insufficient evidence to support claims that its juice reduced the risks of heart disease, prostate cancer and impotence.

The order will remain in effect for the next 20 years. It was issued after an Federal Trade Commission complaint two years ago, contending that Pom Wonderful had engaged in false and misleading advertising,

“The greater weight of the persuasive expert testimony demonstrates that there is insufficient competent and reliable scientific evidence to substantiate claims that the Pom products treat, prevent or reduce the risk of erectile dysfunction or that they are clinically proven to do so,” D. Michael Chappell, chief administrative judge, wrote in his decision, which was dated Thursday and released Monday.

He made similar findings for some claims Pom Wonderful had made about heart disease and prostate cancer and concluded that the commission had proved its case that the company’s marketing was false or misleading.

Craig Cooper, Pom Wonderful’s chief legal officer, said in a telephone interview that the company is still determining what it is and is not permitted to do under the judge’s order.

“I think this will allow us to continue making general health benefit claims,” Mr. Cooper said. “We can’t make claims for treatment, prevention or cure of diseases.” He said the judge had found that only “a small number” of the company’s ads were flawed.

The judge’s order, which can be appealed before the full commission, appears to place limits on even modest claims, stating that the company “shall not make any representation, in any manner, expressly or by implication, including through the use of a product name, endorsement, depiction, illustration, trademark or trade name, about the health benefits, performance or efficacy of any covered product, unless the representation is nonmisleading.”

The judge also ordered the company and its affiliated business, Roll Global, to submit its ad and marketing materials for the next five years and any complaints and comments about them to the F.T.C.

Judge Says Pom Wonderful
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Screw the health benefits. The only reason so many people bought it was because if the cute bottle.

ETA: Okay, so this is a little misleading:

"Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

It tastes pretty good, too. I don't think you should ever believe any so-called health claims on food and beverage items. I love Sobe Vitamin waters but could care less about any of the claims on the bottle - I just think they taste good.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Words to live by. I'm a sucker for the SoBe Dragon Fruit, but I haven't had one in ages.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

“I think this will allow us to continue making general health benefit claims,” Mr. Cooper said.
    The judge’s order, ... “shall not make any representation, in any manner, expressly or by implication, including through the use of a product name, endorsement, depiction, illustration, trademark or trade name, about the health benefits, performance or efficacy of any covered product, unless the representation is nonmisleading.”
    I think they need to find a lawyer who can actually read.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I like it anyway. I have to use about 1/4 water because it seems so strong.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love it. I mix it half and half with ice cold Seltzer water, makes a really nice, fizzy drink.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Pom vodka is awesome! Think I'll have one now.
    Brookie likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information