Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Starbucks Pisses Off Vegans

Default Starbucks Pisses Off Vegans

Whether you're a vegan or not, the idea of eating crushed up bugs is kind of upsetting—and yet a lot of us do it regularly and don't even realize it. Wait, we do? Yes, the bugs in question are used to make something called cochineal extract, which is actually a pretty common product used to dye foods like yogurt and juice pink or red. Starbucks recently started using cochineal extract in its Strawberries and Creme Frappuccinos and red velvet whoopee pies. They did this after customers insisted that Starbucks start to use natural ingredients whenever possible. While it's not exactly appetizing, cochineal extract is natural, being made from ground-up insects and all.

But a vegan barista at Starbucks noticed the ingredient change and alerted the vegans of the internet, who are now mad at Starbucks for using the extract and demanding they stop. Jim Olsen, spokesman for Starbucks, kind of can't win here, but he gamely made a statement anyway in which he said, "This is an alternative to other synthetic red dyes that are out there." He continued, "We certainly respect and understand the interest this is getting, but it is a very common ingredient in foods and juices and beverages."

Which can probably be loosely translated in non-corporate-employee-speak as "What they hell do you people want from us? To dye our drinks with our own tears of frustration?"

Starbucks Pisses Off Vegans

Don't these things have dairy in them anyway?
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

cochineal has been around for thousands of years. people have been crushing dried bugs to make dyes forever. and yeah, it is natural and i'd rather eat food coloured with that than with synthetic dyes.
    if you're vegan and can't stomach the thought of it, bake your own, but don't expect the rest of the world to bend backwards trying to accommodate your eating choices.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Don't these things have dairy in them anyway?
    Do they do dairy free drinks with soya or something? Coz otherwise that wouldn't make sense that vegans were pissed off with just the food dye!

Damn those are some yummy bugs cause I love the Strawberries and creme.
    Kathie_Moffett and Honeythorn like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

The whoopie pies are dairy (and the red velvet isn't on the menu anymore, they took it off maybe 2 months ago?), but the frappuccinos can be made with soy so they could be vegan before. That still makes a total of I think 3 drinks on the whole menu that can't be made completely vegan (white mocha is basically sweetened condensed milk and the chai has honey in it), so whatever.

I actually don't think there is a single dairy AND egg free pastry we offer, we have things like granola bars and a tofu sesame noodle thing that is vegan friendly.

ETA: I was wrong, caramel drizzle isn't vegan and neither are the java chips. I also think the plain bagels are vegan. The protein powder for the smoothies are whey, but we can leave it out and make a chocolate or orange mango smoothie with soy and it's vegan.

I can't think of any vegan I know who is too bothered by insects.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Better call the WAHmbulance.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I can't think of any vegan I know who is too bothered by insects.
    One group I was briefly affiliated with believed the commercial production of honey was cruel to bees. I didn't research it to see if they have a point. Also, a bit of trivia...charred animal bones are used in the production of refined sugar.
    ikmccall likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Bits of insects inadvertently end up in packaged food all the time. I prefer not to think about it. But I guess vegans are objecting more on ethical grounds than being grossed out.

Last edited by Ravenna; March 29th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    One group I was briefly affiliated with believed the commercial production of honey was cruel to bees.
    Commercial production of anything is awful for animals. I know the guy I get honey from so I feel alright about it.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

their bottled frappuccinos are so good.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

I wonder if there is any castoreum in any of their stuff? Quite frankly, I'd rather have the crushed beetles.

I am not vegan and hate the idea of dinking beetlejuice.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I am not vegan and hate the idea of dinking beetlejuice.
    Cochineal food coloring is in lots of things McJag, has been for years. Anything red you ate as a kid? Cochineal.
    Free Charmed.

Luckily, I was never fond of red candies. Or strawberry.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information