Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By EatTheGarnish
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0

Thread: Help! Need advice on making Ghee

Default Help! Need advice on making Ghee

I've read about the health benefits of ghee and seeing the exhorbitant cost of it in the grocery store, I decided to look up recipes and do it myself. So I've been buying more pounds of butter than Paula Deen attempting to get the recipe right and failing miserably several times. The times I did get right I believe were by chance. I'm having trouble with the exact timing on when it goes from clarified butter to true ghee - Ghee is clarified butter, but not all clarified butter is ghee. I know I have to look out for the milk solids to separate, but what about the milk solids on the bottom? Also, what about the level of heat? I've read versions that say melt the butter on medium heat and when it starts boiling, turn the heat down low while others say turn it all the way off to let it cool down. One recipe called for the butter to be melted on medium-high heat and then cook for another 7-8 minutes on medium heat. Damn Alton Brown! I've burnt a lot of butte not getting this down to a science like I felt I should. Any advice would definitely be appreciated! I'm trying one more pound of butter tomorrow before I say "screw it"

Long time lurker here. I finally signed up just now out of, I don't know, clarified butter solidarity. (Okay, I may have also had a glass or two of wine.)

I think mainly the inconsistencies in recommended heat have to do with the difference between gas and electric. If you have gas, you can go from medium-high to low and the effect is immediate; if you have electric, the heat dissipates slowly, so if you start high, you need to completely remove your pan from the heat source in order to keep from burning.

My personal approach for ghee has been this. Heat on medium high until the butter starts to foam, then immediately remove from heat. Skim the foam off the top with a tea strainer. At this point you have clarified butter; to go from this to proper ghee, strain it completely, let it cool for a minute or two, then heat it up again and start over from the beginning. The second time you can heat it higher, because with fewer milk solids you can afford to burn it a little without affecting the flavor.
    hustle4alivin, McJag and Novice like this.

Greatest first post ever.
    sputnik likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

have you looked for any video tutorials on youtube? sometimes reading a recipe is not enough and you have to actually see someone do it right before to figure out exactly how to get it right.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Aw, shucks! Now I'm gonna have to go choose an avatar.
    Last edited by EatTheGarnish; March 11th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EatTheGarnish View Post
    Aw, shucks! Now I'm gonna have to go choose an avatar.
    Just gotta say, your user name cracks me up
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Long time lurker here. I finally signed up just now out of, I don't know, clarified butter solidarity. (Okay, I may have also had a glass or two of wine.)

I think mainly the inconsistencies in recommended heat have to do with the difference between gas and electric. If you have gas, you can go from medium-high to low and the effect is immediate; if you have electric, the heat dissipates slowly, so if you start high, you need to completely remove your pan from the heat source in order to keep from burning.

My personal approach for ghee has been this. Heat on medium high until the butter starts to foam, then immediately remove from heat. Skim the foam off the top with a tea strainer. At this point you have clarified butter; to go from this to proper ghee, strain it completely, let it cool for a minute or two, then heat it up again and start over from the beginning. The second time you can heat it higher, because with fewer milk solids you can afford to burn it a little without affecting the flavor.
    I like you. Drink more, post more!

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    See, we can agree on something.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I followed your instructions and my ghee came out beautifully!

Great first post!
    Now lurk less & post more!!!
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information