Thread: Need help in identifying a Mexican(?) Food!

Default Need help in identifying a Mexican(?) Food!

I cannot find what this product is. It is named either Sopa de Duros or Sopa de Buros..not quite sure of the last name on it. It is some kind of pasta like thing. it is Pumpkin orange and is in strips that have been broken into pieces and are ridged...the origianl strips being flat but slightly ridges and about and inch and a half wide. What is this stuff, and how is it used? Internet has been no help. Tanks to anyone who can clue me in to what this stuff is.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Default Re: Need help in identifying a Mexican(?) Food!

It sounds like it might be duros but I've never even heard of a sopa de duros.

Elite Member

The closest thing I could find was Pasta Para Duros which are orange but in wagon wheel kind of shapes that you just microwave or deep fry untill they fluff up and eat as a snack. Maybe someone took the recipie and made Mafalde with them? Mafalde sound exactly how you describe them except for the color.

That was kind of no help wasnt it?

^^So it sounds like it would be "duros"? Ok. thanks Ralphycnan I will look that up.
    I looked at the duros and it kind of sounds like them..these are orange and hard..fairly thin and are ridged..they look like they were in strips about one and a half inches wide and then broken into rough rectangular pieces. I have some now and I don't know what to do with them..lol They do look good sitting in a glass container but I would like to know exactly what I can do with them. There must be some kind of time limit on their storage and I don't want to just throw them out eventually. BTW..when I was looking them up half of the listings included drugs and marijuana..what is up with that????

ETA They must be a type of Duros. I microwaved a few and they puffed up into a type of airy crunchy chip. It says you can deep fry them so I will try that later.
    Last edited by Sojiita; April 29th, 2006 at 04:30 PM.

Yeah, you deep fry duros and they become puffed chips. I know that mexicans here walk around in shopping carts selling them with lemon and chile.

^^I had thought they were a type of pasta..so originally I had boiled them in water...no wonder they tasted like absolute shit!

SVZ

Are they kinda like shrimp chips?

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    Are they kinda like shrimp chips?
    I think they kind of look like them but not taste like them. they puff up nicely when cooked(both in the microwave and in hot oil ) very quickly. They kind of curl up too. personally I think they would be good with sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on them right after they come out of the fryer. when I bought them I thought they were a type of colorful pasta. duh!

Silver Member

Are you talking about Churros?

Elite Member

You're asking the Mexican girl here..I grew up on this shit...lol

I think you're speaking of these:

Here's the link:

http://www.friedas.com/detail.cfm?id=193

Also this one:

The "other" chicharrones
    Technically, pasta para duritos, this is what you get when you fry up those little orange pinwheels that you see in the Mexican section of the grocery.
    I thought you boiled them until I read an article about them in The Rosengarten Report. Now I know you deep fry 'em. just like pork rinds, or you can nuke 'em too. These were deep-fried in that habanero-infused lard I made last weekend. Then they were spinkled with Louisiana Cajun Seasoning which imparted a blissful veneer to complement the capsaicin soul kiss within. Julio told me that this is the kind of food you nibble on when you're "just drinking." Highly recommended!

By the way, for future help, what I normally do when I want to look up anything Mexican or international, I rarely use a search engine in English...I'll go to Yahoo.com and then scroll down to 'Yahoo international', then to the country I want...click on it and then do the search in Spanish. Most of the time you'll get websites in other languages but luckily these were in English. Hope this helps.

Also, churros are a desert...a fried type of pastry that's sprinkled with sugar or syrup. Here's a picture:

http://mx.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je56E...te_churros.jpg

Churritos are different. Churritos a snack, a sort of chip that comes in a bag that you and lime and chile to..this is them below.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; May 1st, 2006 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl
    You're asking the Mexican girl here..I grew up on this shit...lol

I think you're speaking of these:

Here's the link:

http://www.friedas.com/detail.cfm?id=193

Also this one:

The "other" chicharrones
    Technically, pasta para duritos, this is what you get when you fry up those little orange pinwheels that you see in the Mexican section of the grocery.
    I thought you boiled them until I read an article about them in The Rosengarten Report. Now I know you deep fry 'em. just like pork rinds, or you can nuke 'em too. These were deep-fried in that habanero-infused lard I made last weekend. Then they were spinkled with Louisiana Cajun Seasoning which imparted a blissful veneer to complement the capsaicin soul kiss within. Julio told me that this is the kind of food you nibble on when you're "just drinking." Highly recommended!

By the way, for future help, what I normally do when I want to look up anything Mexican or international, I rarely use a search engine in English...I'll go to Yahoo.com and then scroll down to 'Yahoo international', then to the country I want...click on it and then do the search in Spanish. Most of the time you'll get websites in other languages but luckily these were in English. Hope this helps.

Also, churros are a desert...a fried type of pastry that's sprinkled with sugar or syrup. Here's a picture:

http://mx.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je56E...te_churros.jpg

Churritos are different. Churritos a snack, a sort of chip that comes in a bag that you and lime and chile to..this is them below.
    Thanks Pretty Girl! That is them. The dark Orange flat pieces are what they look like uncooked and the puffed piece above is just what they look like nuked(this is referring to the first small pic). Instead of using spices like cajun seasoning can you use cinnamon and sugar on these..just like you would for churros?..they have a nice texture but are a little bland. I suppose I could use them for dipping also. I have them in a huge glass container and they look very colorful and attractive in the kitchen. You can get them here for almost nothing. And of course I LOVE fried food. I would have gone to where I can buy them and ask...but NONE of them speak English! and naturally I can't speak Spanish to save my life. Mexican and other Latin stores and restaurants are all over this part of town..in the last 15 years 17,000 or more Hispanics/Latinos/Latinas have moved into this side of town, which has about 125,00 people altogether. And of course I have to try some of these new foods.

Elite Member

You're in Ohio? I had no idea there was a large hispanic community out there! We're multiplying...lol

I just fixed some Churros. I deep fried them and dipped them in a sugar and cinnamon mix! Delicious and different!(although calorie laden-but who cares?). Just a handful of them puffed up to fill a huge bowl.

All hail Mexican food!

I'm Mexican but largely raised in the US and I'd all but forgotten about these things. I remember I don't like them all that much and the best part about them is the lime chili stuff sprinkled on top.

Churros, on the other hand, I could eat myself into a coma with those!

Also, cool to see another fellow Mexican girl besides myself on here...

Thread Information