Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Ketchup for the 1%

Default A Ketchup for the 1%

A Ketchup for the 1%

Since we live in the Golden Age of Artisanal Everything, it seems somehow fitting that Heinz Ketchup should get a white-person upgrade. Heinz Balsamic Ketchup will launch November 14th to zero fanfare, and be made available only through the brand's Facebook page.

You won't be able to buy it in anything besides glass bottles, which, for the original recipe, have become hard to find. (Hipster nostalgia, check.) It will cost $4.49 per shipped bottle, versus $1.89 for a squeeze container of the plain kind. (Premium pricing, also check.) It will eventually make its way to store shelves, and, if it sells well, will become a permanent addition to the Heinz family.

But how does it taste? For that, we look across the Atlantic, as product was made available to the UK market last March. According to a review in the Telegraph, replacing the traditional white vinegar with balsamic had a subtle but profound effect:
    The taste is unmistakably tomato ketchup. It has the same immediate hit of vinegary tartness, followed by a teeth-stripping sweetness. But whereas ordinary ketchup has little, or no, "finish" as wine tasters would say, the balsamic version has a depth to it. The flavour is darker and richer, with a definite hint of tamarind, one of the key ingredients in Worcestershire Sauce. It is genuinely sophisticated, without taking away from its basic ketchupness.
    How long before this gets politicized by both ends of the spectrum, with Occupy Ketchup protesters decrying the "Condiment for the One Percent" on one side, and Fox & Friends devoting entire segments to "President Balsamic Obama and his high-falutin' catsup tastes" on the other?

A Ketchup for the 1%
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

i love ketchup (yes, i admit it) so i would try this if it was offered. but i wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering it and having it shipped.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Not to mention the fact that John Kerry's wife is no doubt behind this elitist, East Coast ketchup. Decent, hard working people in the 'real America' won't want anything to do with this shit.

I'll give it a try, though I'm not truly a ketchup person.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I would try it if it was in front of my face...I am more of a spicy mustard kind of gal.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

I'd try it. And still consider myself a decent person.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Not to mention the fact that John Kerry's wife is no doubt behind this elitist, East Coast ketchup. Decent, hard working people in the 'real America' won't want anything to do with this shit.
    You do know that she has nothing to do with Heinz foods, right? She is the chairman of The Howard Heinz Endowment and the Heinz Family Philanthropies but has no say in the business.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I would try it with my uppity ass!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I slather ketchup on everything (yes, I'm a heathen like that) and I would try this but only if it was free because I'm not really fond of Heinz ketchup anyway.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'm a ketchup feind, I put it on everything from fries to salmon, so I would try this. But I wouldn't put in the effort of ordering it on line.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I'm tempted to mix up my own with some Lucini Gran Riserva, I put that shit on everything.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I'm a ketchup feind, I put it on everything from fries to salmon, so I would try this. But I wouldn't put in the effort of ordering it on line.
    Nooo-not salmon! OMG. Only lemon on mine.
    Okay, I hate ketchup. Too sweet for me. I would give this quick ,try just not coming near my salmon.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I don't do ketchup either. Blech.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

I've never understood the big deal about balsamic vinegar, or ketchup for that matter (except in a bacon butty)
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

balsamic vinegar is yummy in vinaigrettes - balsamic, olive oil, dijon mustard, salt + pepper = deliciousness. that's pretty much all i use it for.
    but i don't get the whole foodie obsession of putting it in everything either. it's got a very strong taste and tends to overpower stuff so when it's used to marinate meat or something, it's too much.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information