Thread: Gesztenyepüré

Default Gesztenyepüré

Bought a few packages of frozen Gesztenyepüré (Hungarian dessert of Chestnut puree). Can you tell me how to make them? any recipe? Thanks!

you only need whipped cream
    Hungarians have this device they put the gesztenyepüré in and then squeeze it through, it looks like a garlic crusher only bigger. Pic:

I simply cut it into tiny bits (you have to defrost it first - no microwaving though) put it in a bowl and sqeeze a generous amount of whipped cream on top (looks like this: then with the application of a big spoon I shove it in my mouth within seconds. Yummy!

edit: I don't think I add sugar, the frozen stuff is usually sweet, you can jazz it up with a bit of a rum tho'. It can be used as a filling in a cake too, I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks!
    Just back from Hungary. This is the best dessert I've ever ate!

I didn't get how to defrost it if not in microwave?

just let it sit on the counter, it defrosts pretty quickly on its own. I've tried the microwave but the edge's always got harder and dry. But it's highly likely that the problem is my inability to defrost things in the microwave

Did you try Somlói galuska there? That's another dessert that is the epitome of sin and it's so delicious...

I really hope it tastes good because it kinda looks like worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Geest View Post
    just let it sit on the counter, it defrosts pretty quickly on its own. I've tried the microwave but the edge's always got harder and dry. But it's highly likely that the problem is my inability to defrost things in the microwave

Did you try Somlói galuska there? That's another dessert that is the epitome of sin and it's so delicious...
    Yeah that's what I did, it soooo tasty!
    I didn't try the other dessert. I was there only for a few days so at any chance I had I ordered Gesztenyepüré.

Thread Information