Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all the picky eaters (and beet haters)

Default Calling all the picky eaters (and beet haters)

This is the absolute troof!!! And it's the Mighty Opes, so you know it's solid. And 4 of my favorite foods.

4 Foods You Only Think You Don't Like - Food on Shine
    4 Foods You Only Think You Don't Like

Photo: Thinkstock

By Lynn Andriani

Beets Whether it's their moderate-to-loud flavor, unusual slipperiness or surprising sweetness, some people don't quite know what to make of beets. But Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg, co-authors of The Flavor Bible, love their earthy taste and the soft-firm texture they take on when cooked. The best way to make these antioxidant-rich vegetables taste delicious is pairing them with contrasting ingredients. That can be a salty, creamy cheese (e.g., goat or blue), toasted nuts (e.g., walnuts or almonds)—or both. "The creamy and crunchy elements serve as counterpoints to the beets," the husband-and-wife team say.

Get the recipe: Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Arugula

Brussels Sprouts
    A Thanksgiving staple for many, these mini cabbages are bitter and very "vegetal" tasting, in the words of Page and Dornenburg. They also turn gray and stinky, taking on a sulfurous odor, if you overcook them. For this much-maligned vegetable, we asked James Peterson, who went from studying chemistry at Berkeley to teaching home cooks the finer points of flavor, which ingredient is most likely to convert skeptics. Bacon, says Peterson, the author of Kitchen Simple: Essential Recipes for Everyday Cooking, without missing a beat. The crisp, smoky, salty meat is the perfect complement to Brussels sprouts' inherent (really!) sweetness. To combat texture issues, try slicing them thinly (julienne style) and sautéing them in olive oil with garlic so they soften without getting mushy.

Get the recipe: Brussels Sprouts with Turkey Bacon
    Cauliflower
    "Frightful memories!" That's the only way Peterson can describe a childhood spent choking down this cruciferous vegetable, which, like the Brussels sprout, acquires a strong sulfury taste when cooked too long. Now, though, Peterson puts cauliflower in a soufflé-like gratin with plenty of Parmigiano-Reggiano and Gruyère. "This preparation makes it more about cheese; the cauliflower just becomes a sort of medium for it," he says.

Get the recipe: White House Cauliflower Gratin

Cilantro
    Some people may be genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro, but the intense aromatics of this herb—a cornerstone in Mexican and Thai cuisine—can be tamed. Page and Dornenburg suggest tempering it with olive oil, such as in a cilantro pesto made with olive oil and cotija cheese, which you can then use to top chicken or fish. Or go the more tried-and-true route, pairing it with a compatible loud flavor, such as chilies, so they balance each other out.

Get the recipe: Chile-Lime Crab Salad with Avocado and Cilantro
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

When I was in Australia, there was this chain of hamburger places called "Hungry Jack's" - they looked kind of like a Hardee's (U.S.).

Instead of pickles on the hamburger, they had a slice of sugar beet. It didn't really taste like anything, though.

But, Montana! It is the violent color of beets I object to. That is not addressed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Cilantro?!?!? I would think spinach would rate higher than freakin cilantro.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Cilantro?!?!? I would think spinach would rate higher than freakin cilantro.
    I used to hate cilantro - the first time I had it, someone had dumped it in my chicken soup at a central American restaurant. It was overpowering, and it took me years to like it, but now it's good.

With spinach, that's basically the entire salad in our house (since lettuce has no nutritional value). My kids eat it with no problems, especially if it has some kind of dressing on top.

fgg

i despise cilantro! i'm good with beets, brussels and cauliflower.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

how can you not like spinach?
    i think the problem a lot of people have with vegetables is that they've never had them done right. a lot of people overcook veggies, and basically serve them up like a soggy, salty mess. who would like that?
    i worked as a nanny when i was at uni, and one family i worked with, the parents had no clue. veggies consisted basically of broccoli and baby carrots in a bowl of water, in the microwave, until they were soft and soggy. and disgusting. so of course getting kids to eat their veggies was a struggle. i gave them one of those metal steaming thingies you put at the bottom of a pot and starting steaming their veggies until they were cooked but still had some crunch - al dente - and putting a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper on them. the kids learned to like them and even branched out from broccoli and baby carrots to snow peas and spinach and cauliflower and asparagus and green beans and mushrooms. it's all about preparation.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I tolerate beets and cauliflower and love the rest of the list.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think the problem a lot of people have with vegetables is that they've never had them done right. a lot of people overcook veggies, and basically serve them up like a soggy, salty mess. who would like that?
    i worked as a nanny when i was at uni, and one family i worked with, the parents had no clue. veggies consisted basically of broccoli and baby carrots in a bowl of water, in the microwave, until they were soft and soggy. and disgusting. so of course getting kids to eat their veggies was a struggle. i gave them one of those metal steaming thingies you put at the bottom of a pot and starting steaming their veggies until they were cooked but still had some crunch - al dente - and putting a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper on them. the kids learned to like them and even branched out from broccoli and baby carrots to snow peas and spinach and cauliflower and asparagus and green beans and mushrooms. about it's all preparation.
    And seasoning! Salt & peppers adds a lot, but to me Cavender's Greek seasoning makes them sing.
    I love cauliflower raw or cooked ,but raw with a sprinkle of Cavender's is worth a whole bag of potato chips.
    You can get kids or anyone to eat raw carrots if you just add even salt free Mrs Dash.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fgg

i like cauliflower done up like mashed potatoes.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

My wife and I used to put cauliflower in our salads all the time. The biggest problem I had with cauliflower, though, was that it tended to be pretty expensive, and could get bad (moldy?) quickly. Even on the store shelf. As soon as we bought it, you'd have to caught off the funky brown stuff on the outside. It was just a pain.

I saw Cavender's Greek at Walmart the other day and thought of you McJag. I remember you were always talking about it a couple years ago. Still haven't bought it, but I probably will when I get a full kitchen. I have started using Everglades seasoning a lot since moving down here. I guess it's a Florida thing, but someone recommended it to me shortly after I moved down here and it's another one of those "good on everything" seasoning mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i like cauliflower done up like mashed potatoes.
    Ooo,yes!
    A friend of mine also makes this Dutch recipe that has mashed potatoes and carrots that is fab. I think she does almost half & half. Carrot haters would never guess.

I love everything on the list. I make my brussel sprouts by sauteing them in bacon fat too.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i worked as a nanny when i was at uni, and one family i worked with, the parents had no clue. veggies consisted basically of broccoli and baby carrots in a bowl of water, in the microwave, until they were soft and soggy. and disgusting. so of course getting kids to eat their veggies was a struggle. i gave them one of those metal steaming thingies you put at the bottom of a pot and starting steaming their veggies until they were cooked but still had some crunch - al dente - and putting a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper on them. the kids learned to like them and even branched out from broccoli and baby carrots to snow peas and spinach and cauliflower and asparagus and green beans and mushrooms. it's all about preparation.
    I agree. There's a lot you can do with vegetables to make them taste more appetizing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information