Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan: Squid dances before being eaten - Gross Warning

Default Japan: Squid dances before being eaten - Gross Warning

Not so good if you don't like looking at live seafood that is about to be eaten. Some of you love gross things so there are more videos on the right side.

It's so cute. He's like a puppy that you want to pet and talk to.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxQmOR_QLfQ&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

How they filet the squid.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepUk2ggrZ0&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Does it ever die before it hits the stomach?

If you know Japanese food - what the green ball in the bowl? Is that wasabe?
    Last edited by Chalet; July 21st, 2011 at 06:13 PM.

That's horrific. Can't they put the damn thing out of its misery first? Yuck.

I read some of the comments that say the squid is actually dead. It's the salt in the Soy Sauce that causes a muscular reaction. IDK, I could only get through a few seconds of the video. I'm not eating anything that moves on my plate either way. Eckkk.

Elite Member

^I figureg that's what was going on. Other than the squid (dead or alive), the rest of what's in the bowl looks yummy.

Wow..thats creepy. I don't think I could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    I read some of the comments that say the squid is actually dead. It's the salt in the Soy Sauce that causes a muscular reaction. IDK, I could only get through a few seconds of the video. I'm not eating anything that moves on my plate either way. Eckkk.
    I do believe that is possible. Anyway, lobsters are boiled alive. Sure they are dead on your plate, but they must feel SOMETHING when they're in the pot!

How to prepare a lobster - Features, Food & Drink - The Independent

Claws snapping, tail writhing, antennae twitching. Then, a plop into water followed by an ear-splitting squeal. It's no surprise that such a gruesome ritual once described by the author David Foster Wallace as a "medieval torture fest" continues to divide gourmands too squeamish to murder a crustacean in cold blood.

Boiling Lobster - How to Boil a Lobster

It's important that you begin with a live lobster. If the lobster is already dead, it may not cook properly.
    Pick up Lobster and quickly place head first in boiling water.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

That is absolutely revolting.

i'm not gonna lie, i would totally eat that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Not watching the video, but I'm pretty sure it's still alive. I recently read a travelogue about China, in which the guy was served several live squids to eat. So I assume it's not uncommon in Asia. I think I would puke if something I was eating was squirming around in my mouth.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I couldn't eat it even if it was dead. I think Calamari is pretty chewy, so I can't even imagine how fresh, raw squid tastes. What part would you eat anyway? Cut off a tentacle?

I think it's possible that it is dead, but still moving. The tentacles themselves move for quite a while after being cut off. And even if it's alive, I think it does feel pain in the sense that some other animals do. However, I don't think I could eat something that would appear to be alive or especially resisting being eaten.

These were still alive:
    [youtube]0fAs_DJCjG4[/youtube]

This is a video that would probably put people off of eating sushi. I don't need it that fresh:

[youtube]DCvO9rInXmo[/youtube]

I'm not watching either of those. I'm so tempted being a compulsive link, press play clicker, but the dancing squid remained in my thoughts for a long time.

I'm not watching either of those. I'm so tempted being a compulsive link, press play clicker, but the dancing squid remained in my thoughts for a long time.
    I can understand that. The first video shows an American Kendo fighter trying live squid with some friends. I think he says that the fish is not especially hard to chew, but is kind of slimy. The video implies that the suckers from the tentacles will stick to your mouth, teeth, and gums as you try to choke this thing down. It kind of seems like people do this to show some kind of bravado, not because it is a delicacy per se.

The second video shows a chef slicing a big piece of sushi off a fish, and then puts it back in the tank where it continues to swim around, seemingly unbothered. I've heard that fish do not have an area of the brain that allows them to process the feeling of pain.

I've heard that fish do not have an area of the brain that allows them to process the feeling of pain.
    Yes I've heard that too. Still it being put back in the tank with a chunk taken out of it is just ugh.

Yes I've heard that too. Still it being put back in the tank with a chunk taken out of it is just ugh.
    Yeah, it feels instinctively cruel to me, even if they can't feel pain.

And the inside of a fish tank is pretty dirty, I think. I don't know how you can slice another piece from that (sliced off) area of the same fish without giving somebody food poisoning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information