Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ending the Great Condiment Debate- Refrigerate?

Default Ending the Great Condiment Debate- Refrigerate?

Ending the Great Condiment Debate on Shine

You like to keep your peanut butter in the fridge. Your spouse says its fine on the shelf. Whos right? Actually, you both are, as long as you plan to finish the jar within a few months. Put an end to the Great Condiment Debate with this handy list of storage and shelf life tips for your favorite dressings and spreads:

Ketchup Like many condiments, ketchup can be stored either in the refrigerator or on the shelf even after its been opened. If you dont use it regularly, however, opt for the fridge. Unopened ketchup will last at least a year. Once opened, it should be used within a month if stored in the cabinet or within six months if stored in the refrigerator.

Mayonnaise Unopened mayonnaise stored in the pantry should ideally be used by the Best By date on the package (but in most cases will still be good for up to four months after that date). Mayo is made from eggs, so it must be refrigerated once its been opened. A jar will last up to three months in the refrigerator and should never be left on the counter for more than an hour or two.

Mustard One of the heartier condiments, unopened mustard can still be used after two years on the shelf. Once opened, a jar can be stored for up to two months in the cabinet and a full year in the fridge.

Peanut butter Unopened jars can be stored in the cabinet for up to nine months. Opened jars are fine for at least a month on the shelf, and considerably longer in the refrigerator.

Jams, jellies, and preserves Unless theyre homemade or the label instructs otherwise, unopened jars can be stored for at least a year on the shelf, though they will last longer and taste better if refrigerated. Once opened, theyll last another year in the fridge.

Soy sauce When it comes to condiments, soy sauce goes the distance. An unopened bottle will last up to three years on the shelf, while an opened bottle can remain in the fridge for up to two years. (Opened soy sauce can be stored on the shelf for a short time, but it lasts far longer when refrigerated.)

Barbeque sauce BBQ sauce can remain in the cabinet for a year unopened. Once opened, bottles can be stored up to a month on the shelf and up to four months in the refrigerator.

Capers Unopened jars of capers packed in brine can be stored on the shelf for up to three years before opening, and up to a year in the refrigerator after opening.

Cocktail sauce Store unopened cocktail sauce in the pantry for up to a year and a half. Opened jars can remain on the shelf for up to a month, but will last four months or more in the refrigerator. (Note: Never dip seafood directly into the jar or pour sauce that has come in contact with seafood back into the jar.)

Vegetable oil sprays Handy spray cans of most varieties of oil will last up to two years in the pantry.

Salsa Bottled salsa will last up to 18 months on the shelf and up to a month in the refrigerator. If transferred to a freezer bag or air-tight container, it can be frozen for another two months. Fresh salsa should be opened within two weeks or frozen for up to two months. Once opened, eat it or freeze it within a week (ditto for homemade).

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting and helpful.

ETA- I'm wondering about some other condiments. Anyone know how long these are good, and whether to store on the shelf or the fridge?

- Olive oil
    - Various vinegars
    - Relish
    - Roasted peppers in a jar
    - Pickles
    - Jars of mushrooms

i think i'm having dj vu - didn't we already talk about that here once?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    We did, but the thread spoiled.

I just threw out a jar of Miracle Whip because I forgot to put it in the fridge last Thursday. For some reason, it was sitting on the mantle near my fridge and I forgot all about it.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    If we did, I didn't see/ read it. Sorry!

I know it says that opened peanut butter lasts longer in the refrigerator, but that drives me insane. When it's too cold it isn't spreadable at all unless it's going to be used for baking, etc. As far as everything else, it all goes in the fridge at my house.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I keep peanut butter and oils in the pantry. Anything else goes in the fridge once it's been opened.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

growing up we used to keep peanut butter in the pantry but i live alone and a jar lasts me well over a year so i figure it's probably best to keep it in the fridge.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    - Roasted peppers in a jar
    Having just cleaned the fridge, I say toss 'em when there's a fuzzy blue layer on the surface of the liquid.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    We did, but the thread spoiled.
    Nice.
    I just threw out a jar of Miracle Whip because I forgot to put it in the fridge last Thursday. For some reason, it was sitting on the mantle near my fridge and I forgot all about it.[/quote
    You should have thrown it out just because....
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    You should have thrown it out just because....
    You sound like my moms....she HATES Miracle Whip. I don't mind it on sandwiches, but prefer mayo for things like potato or pasta salad. And I'm really liking the Hellmann's mayo with olive oil.
    Last edited by BITTER; July 31st, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

[quote=BITTER;2508122]
    Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    You sound like my moms....she HATES Miracle Whip. I don't mind it on sandwiches, but prefer mayo for things like potato or pasta salad. And I'm really liking the Hellmann's mayo with olive oil.
    I actually grew up with Miracle Whip, but I opened my eyes when I was introduced to Hellmans Real Mayonaise. I can still do MW on tuna though.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

The whole Miracle Whip/mayo thing is funny to me. I eat them both. The trick is not to think of them as supposing to be the same thing. Two entirely different condiments like ketchup and mustard.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Thank you for posting this! Very interesting and helpful.

ETA- I'm wondering about some other condiments. Anyone know how long these are good, and whether to store on the shelf or the fridge?

- Olive oil .......pantry. I always smell before using just to be sure it is still fresh.
    - Various vinegars....pantry
    - Relish......refrigerate after opening.
    - Roasted peppers in a jar...refrigerate after opening.
    - Pickles..........refrigerate
    - Jars of mushrooms.......pantry
    Pickles, I refrigerate when I bring them home, just so they are ready.
    I like them cold and crunchy. Dill only for me.

Oh,yes. Every one has a use by date. Always check!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

pickles have to go in the fridge, otherwise they lose their crunchiness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information