Thread: Juicing

Default Juicing

What do you think about juicing? Healthy? Not? I buy a lot of fruit and vegetables every week. Whatever I haven't consumed by Sunday morning gets thrown in the juicer. Mostly because I hate to waste food, but also, I figure I'm still getting the benefits of the food that I didn't eat.

I have a friend who thinks that juice is evil incarnate - pure sugar and no fibre - that I might as well drink soda.

Any thoughts?

SVZ

Default Re: Juicing

too bad soda doesn't have vitamins, minerals or phytochemicals....

I love my juicer but must admit to being so lazy at times and not using it enough. I used to love juicing just plain ole apples/carrots/celery. My skin looked so radiant after consuming this juice daily. I have this book at home called Raw Juices Can Save Your Life by Dr Sandra Cabot and I really like it.

Trouble is, and I am going to be completely honest here, I hate cleaning up the juicer mess afterwards.

Oh and also I went through a phase of growing my own wheatgrass but that wasn't a big success as you really needed to have the proper juicer for that. But that stuff is gold or so I heard.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I don't exactly juice but I use my blender to make smoothies (with no added sugar, just some milk usually).
    I find that I'd feel fuller if I had eaten the same amount of fruit as is, but when blended I can drink it and won't feel as full. I think it's something to do with chewing, doesn't it produce some sorta neuro chemicals to tell your brain that you are full?
    I think it's good to juice esp with veggies that you don't normally like eating just to make it more palatable etc. But I think it would be better to actually eat and chew raw fruits and veggies. But I understand in your case that you are trying not to waste the food! Good for ya

I don't think just because you used a juicer, the fibre in your fruits/veggies will disintegrate, it's not gonna instantly become as bad as drinking pop. I think your friend is wrong in saying that. And I agree with svz, juiced or not, vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals will still be in your veggies and fruit.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Oh yeah I think your friend could be wrong. I would choose fresh juice over soda anyday. And smoothies as Moomies mentioned.

Silver Member

Yes I have heard that the fiber is taken away after juicing but the vitamins and minerals are still there and the benefits are supposed to be great. I have been wanting a juicer for a long time. I think that if you eat fruits and veggies as well as use the juicer all is good.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I have pals that swear by juicing. So much so that they go on very long natural juice fasts. One of my friends had cancer and he did the juicing thing and is now cancer free. It definately added in his recovery from the brutality of surgery/chemo/radiation.

Silver Member

I have read books about the fasting thing using only fresh juice. It seems like the health benefits can be amazing, I want to try it but I don't know if I could last without food.

I love juicing, but the clean-up is such a pain in the neck! I usually give the carrot left-overs to my bunny.

I want to buy a wheatgrass juicer, but I can't bring myself to justify the cost of it yet!

SVZ

don't drink wheatgrass, it's not good, just more marketing. it has sooooo many allergens in it. if you want chlorophyll you can get some of that algae stuff, or even the drops. those are just as good.

I have two juicers, and they were both given to me by friends who didn't want them. They actually fought over who was going to give me the juicer, because they each wanted me to take theirs. Coincidentally, they were both the exact same model of juicer.

I guess if you're not afraid of used stuff, a garage sale would probably get you a good juicer for really cheap. Or just mention it to your friends, especially ones that have gotten married in the last few years. They probably have one sitting in the closet in it's original box.

I got a blender a couple of months ago, I love it! It can work as a juicer if I put the filter inside, but I like "solid" fruit juice
    I love to throw all kinds of fruit in it, it makes me eat more fruit in a day than if I'd have to chew them.
    I also use it to make yummy vegetable soup, anything with tomato
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

There are always good juicers people have only used a few times on Ebay.

We love juicing. Last night my husband made a delicious juice from apples, carrots, parsley and spinach. I add the leftover mulchy goodness to salad. Or I will just add raisins and a dab of mayo and my husband loves it!

Careful about juices with spinach and the like. We found that unless you drink them right away, they get slimy. For some reason watercress is OK, and it's also very healthy (a big anti-oxidant).

Thread Information