Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Some moron is suing Nutella after being 'shocked' at the calorie content

Default Some moron is suing Nutella after being 'shocked' at the calorie content

California Mom Sues Nutella, Alleging Hyped Nutrition Claims

Published February 04, 2011
    | FoxNews.com

A California mother is taking Nutella to court, alleging that the popular sandwich spread purports to be a nutritious treat, but actually is loaded with unhealthy sugar and saturated fat.
    A copy of the suit by Athena Hohenberg, which was obtained by AFP on Thursday, said she was "shocked to learn that Nutella was in fact, not 'healthy, nutritious' [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]food[/COLOR][/COLOR], but instead was the next best thing to a candy bar, and that Nutella contains dangerous level of saturated fat."
    Hohenberg is seeking refunds to be paid by parent company Ferrero to its legions of U.S. customers.
    In its marketing, including in claims made on its website, Nutella touts its cocoa and hazelnut spread as ideal for busy moms trying to "nourish their children with whole grains" and says that "Nutella can form a part of a balanced meal."
    On its website, Nutella lists its ingredients as sugar, palm [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]oil[/COLOR][/COLOR], hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, reduced minerals whey (milk), lecithin as emulsifier (soy), vanillin: an artificial flavor.
    YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN 6 expenses you should never put on a credit card VA Halts Surgeries at St. Louis Hospital Suit: Man Claims Glaxo Drug Made Him a 'Gay Sex Addict' JOHN STOSSEL: I Can Balance the Budget Mets Owners Turned Blind Eye to Madoff: Lawsuit

The suit, filed in federal court in San Diego, alleges that many consumers of the product would not have purchased it had they been aware that the health claims surrounding it were overblown.
    "Nutella was worth less than what plaintiff and members of the class paid for them," Hohenberg, the mother of a four-year-old child, said in her lawsuit, which she hopes to turn into a "class action."
    Under the terms of such a class action suit, she asks that any monetary judgment against the company be divided among "all persons who purchased on or after January 2000 one or more Nutella products in the United States for their own or household use."
    Hohenberg also wants the court to make Ferrero launch a new ad campaign, correcting the allegedly misleading claims.
    Nutella was created in the 1940s by Pietro Ferrero, a pastry maker and founder of the Italian Ferrero company.
    Its nutrition label shows that there are about 200 calories in each two tablespoon serving, about half of which come from fat.
    The suit notes that consumption of saturated fat has been shown to cause heart disease, and that consumption of processed sugar has been shown to cause type-2 diabetes.
    Elise Titan, a spokesperson for Ferrero USA, said the company stands by the wholesomeness of its product.
    "What we can say right now is that we stand behind the quality of ingredients in Nutella hazelnut spread and advertising for our product," she said.
    "It's really early in the case and we are really not in position to discuss the case any further," she said.

Read more: California Mom Sues Nutella, Alleging Hyped Nutrition Claims - FoxNews.com
    Bitch, put that spoon DOWN and quit blaming Nutella because you and your kid are fat.

Sheesh, a chocolate spread is high in fat and sugar? Alert the media!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

try reading the nutritional label on the side of the bottle.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Those commercials are so ridiculous. Look at me, I'm the best mom ever. I feed my children crap for breakfast, but it's okay because I put it on whole wheat toast.

The next thing you know, people will be saying that fries are fattening.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

We could sue her for acute stupidity.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    We could sue her for acute stupidity.
    THIS
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I do think they put addictive substances in it.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    The next thing you know, people will be saying that fries are fattening.
    Didn't they try to sue Mc Donalds a couple of years ago?

So she can't read nutrition labels, she can't simply taste the sugar and chocolate and realize it's pure candy?

Although, I suppose if Cheerios can get busted for their nutrition claims, why not Nutella?

FDA Warns Cheerios on Health Claims - Healthy Recipes, Nutrition and Cooking Tips to Improve Health or Lose Weight on MedicineNet.com

She could start a support group with this woman: Cap'n Crunch Crunchberries are not real fruit - woman sues

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

And the fruit loop woman, bunch of thickos!

Dumbass. On a related note, I started making my own version with natural hazelnut butter, fair trade organic cocoa powder, some crumbled almond slivers for crunch and a little local maple syrup. Sooo yummy and not too sweet.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Would you be kind enough to share your receipe? Sounds delicious !!!
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Dumbass. On a related note, I started making my own version with natural hazelnut butter, fair trade organic cocoa powder, some crumbled almond slivers for crunch and a little local maple syrup. Sooo yummy and not too sweet.
    God that sounds divine.

^ I just spooned some of the hazelnut butter into a mason jar (so I could mix it well without spilling oil from the full jar everywhere) - so maybe half a cup - added about 2 tbsp of cocoa powder and mixed in a tbsp or two of maple syrup. I had some sliced almonds sitting around, so I dry-toasted those in a pan, tossed them in, and they naturally fell to pieces while I was mixing the concoction with a butter knife.

You could use agave nectar, white sugar, Splenda, whatever you like to sweeten it. It's not gooey and ultra-spreadable like the commercial stuff though, but that could be because it sits in my freezing cold kitchen and gets stiff!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information