Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast food on the run: what's good AND healthy?

Default Breakfast food on the run: what's good AND healthy?

I don't eat breakfast unless it's something I can grab on my way out the door. Not ideal, but I don't foresee changing anytime soon. I like granola bars, but so many of them are just sugar. I got a box of South Beach Diet breakfast bars but OMG, they were horrible. Slimfast breakfast bars aren't much better, and they have a sugar substitute in them that has unpleasant side effects (please see the thread about annoying co-workers). Special K bars are ok but just a step above a rice cake. Are there any products out there that you can take with you, that aren't pure junk but don't taste like sawdust?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Default Re: Breakfast food on the run: what's good AND healthy?

Why don't you just prepare some lowfat cottage cheese and pineapple or grapes the night before in a dish with a lid? I like that for breakfast.

That's good, or a dish of yogurt and some healthy low-fat granola mix with nuts. Or a banana -- I eat those and apples in my car all the time. I also like a little fig and anise bread with buckwheat honey -- I eat those in my car, too.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    That's good, or a dish of yogurt and some healthy low-fat granola mix with nuts. Or a banana -- I eat those and apples in my car all the time. I also like a little fig and anise bread with buckwheat honey -- I eat those in my car, too.
    Where do I find fig and anise bread? Am I to bake it? Or is it a fig and some anise bread?

We have a great bakery here in Vancouver, Terra Bread, that makes it. But you should be able to find it. It's delicious -- not too sweet, but with that breakfast taste. It's a tiny bit chewy, too. I'm practically addicted to it and I don't normally eat much bread.

You can make your own protein bar..

I have a recipe somewhere - let me look
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I just found the best thing ever: a microwave egg poacher. It's plastic and you put an egg in it and a minute and a half later you have a poached egg.

So in the morning, I put a whole wheat english muffin in the toaster, then put the egg in the microwave. The english muffin pops up, I grate some cheese on it. The microwave beeps and I put the egg on the muffin. Voila, a perfectly balanced, protein and carb, semi low cal (no butter) egg mc muffin.

Quote Originally Posted by snakebread
    I just found the best thing ever: a microwave egg poacher. It's plastic and you put an egg in it and a minute and a half later you have a poached egg.

So in the morning, I put a whole wheat english muffin in the toaster, then put the egg in the microwave. The english muffin pops up, I grate some cheese on it. The microwave beeps and I put the egg on the muffin. Voila, a perfectly balanced, protein and carb, semi low cal (no butter) egg mc muffin.
    Someone, I think AO told us how to make poached eggs in the microwave the other day. Put an egg in a teacup and pierce the yoke, without breaking it. She said do it for 20 seconds. I did it for 20 seconds. Waited a minute. Then another 20 seconds. It was still soft.

A*O

It worked! Remember to cover the teacup too in case of explosion. It's a fine art and depends entirely on your particular microwave oven.

If I am literally running out the door I grab a banana for an instant sugar boost. It usually works for me until lunchtime because given the choice I would prefer not to eat brekky at all - I am simply not hungry when I get up in the mornings but I force myself to eat something because all the nutritionists say I should.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    It worked! Remember to cover the teacup too in case of explosion. It's a fine art and depends entirely on your particular microwave oven.

If I am literally running out the door I grab a banana for an instant sugar boost. It usually works for me until lunchtime because given the choice I would prefer not to eat brekky at all - I am simply not hungry when I get up in the mornings but I force myself to eat something because all the nutritionists say I should.
    I am gifted with my microwave. I know its quirks. I know this sounds weird and why would I ever want to but I can make perfect SCRAMBLED eggs in the microwave. You have to undercook and stir. I guess I did it as an HOMAGE to Julia Childs when she died. I have her circa 1950's French Cooking Book and she spends FIVE pages on scrambling an egg!

Elite Member

I make up a smoothie the night before with strawberries, banana, low fat yogurt and half a weet bix with some water if I know I'm going to be up and out the door.

I take medicine in the morning so I have to eat with it. I am not really FAMISHED either. I should be. I can't eat for two or three hours before bedtime because of reflux. I ignored the doc's advice but twice I ASPIRATED acid. It went into my nose. It feels like you are choking on vomit but it is just acid and it burns so much. Very unpleasant!

Quote Originally Posted by Lani
    I make up a smoothie the night before with strawberries, banana, low fat yogurt and half a weet bix with some water if I know I'm going to be up and out the door.
    YUMMY!

Silver Member

Quice muffins on the run:

get 12 FOIL cupcake liners and place into cupcake pan
    spray with pam spray

in a bowl
    Combine 6 eggs or liquid equivilant
    3 cups drained steamed (or frozen thawed) spinach
    onion minced (optional)
    minced bell peppers (optional)

spoon into foils
    add a piece of reduced fat alpine lace swiss to top (optional)
    bake at 350 for 22 minutes

let cool, use a fork to remove foil cupcake from pan. Place all 12 on a plate and flash freeze for 20 minutes.
    Remove from freezer.

Remove foil, and place 2 muffins in 1 ziploc, repeat until finished. Put in the freezer.
    When on the go mode occurs, place 1 ziploc of muffins in micro and zap for 1.50 minutes (varies)

remove, let cool and eat, warning, may be watery from spinach!!

Yummy!!!!

If you can prepare these in advance they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by chatterweb
    Quice muffins on the run:

get 12 FOIL cupcake liners and place into cupcake pan
    spray with pam spray

in a bowl
    Combine 6 eggs or liquid equivilant
    3 cups drained steamed (or frozen thawed) spinach
    onion minced (optional)
    minced bell peppers (optional)

spoon into foils
    add a piece of reduced fat alpine lace swiss to top (optional)
    bake at 350 for 22 minutes

let cool, use a fork to remove foil cupcake from pan. Place all 12 on a plate and flash freeze for 20 minutes.
    Remove from freezer.

Remove foil, and place 2 muffins in 1 ziploc, repeat until finished. Put in the freezer.
    When on the go mode occurs, place 1 ziploc of muffins in micro and zap for 1.50 minutes (varies)

remove, let cool and eat, warning, may be watery from spinach!!

Yummy!!!!

If you can prepare these in advance they are awesome.
    What is the binder? I don't see how they wouldn't be mush. I guess the eggs when baked hold it together, like a custard?

Silver Member

Q What is the binder? I don't see how they wouldn't be mush. I guess the eggs when baked hold it together, like a custard? Q

No, like a portable omlette, firm, but if you do not drain spinach it can get watery, still tasted ok in my book...I live to eat BTW...
    Binder is eggs no more, no less, sticking is the real issue here ...

KISS!!!( I will not elaborate on the acronym)

I love you!!! Smooch!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information