Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The cruel confinement of veal calves

Gold Member

Default The cruel confinement of veal calves

The-Daily-Record.com - Group: Video shows veal cruelty at Wayne farm

Please click on the link & watch the video shot at a veal farm in Ohio. It shows the incredible cruelty of the veal and dairy industries. Male calves are deprived of their mother's nurturing at birth, instead being shipped off to live a short life of cruel confinement in wooden pens, which they are chained to, that are so small that they cannot move. They are then slaughtered at only 4-5 months of age. In the video, you can see the calves straining to be free from their chains and move around.

Videos such as this one make me wonder about our humanity. I don't know how anyone can justify depriving an animal of its mother's nurturing and condemn it to a short life in which it cannot move around or see the light of day. I wish people would get informed about how their food is produced. Consuming veal is inhumane, imo.

That link is nothing but affirmative veal action.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's interesting that people feel sorry for veal calves, but no one feels sorry for other 'food' animals who also live horrid lives [and have to deal with the suffering for much, much longer]. Factory chickens, for example, spend their lives crammed into small cages with other chickens, packed so tightly they rub all their feathers off and their feet grow around the wire of the cages because they can't move. Their beaks are sliced off with hot knives so they won't peck each other to death in their distress at such close confinement. The cages are stacked from floor to ceiling and the chickens in the top cages poop all over the chickens in the lower cages. It's horrendous. No animal should have to live like that.
    Carrie: What kind of impotence do you think it is? Charlotte: The kind that makes it soft. (Sex and the City)

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    [url=http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4886471]I wish people would get informed about how their food is produced. Consuming veal is inhumane, imo.
    They get irate if you tell them. There is no humane way to mass produce animals or animal products for food. It isn't just veal. If you aren't a vegan you are paying somebody to torture animals for you. You don't need them or their products to be healthy. But you are kidding yourself if you think it's only veal.
    Posted from my iPhone

They all die harsh deaths. Thats just the way it is
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

They get irate if you tell them. There is no humane way to mass produce animals or animal products for food. It isn't just veal. If you aren't a vegan you are paying somebody to torture animals for you. You don't need them or their products to be healthy. But you are kidding yourself if you think it's only veal.
    I'm afraid this is true. And I don't want it to be true, because I am not a vegetarian or vegan and don't have the commitment or moral fiber to become one (plus, I like meat).

The idea of a 'humane' way to kill animals is kind of silly to me. Is there a humane way to kill people?

A*O

Veal = bland and tasteless anyway. I don't know why people bother eating it.

Eggs = free range only please. Widely available and they taste much better. I specifically avoid so-called barn or cage eggs.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

It's not the killing I have a problem with (that's usually swift and efficient) but it sucks the way the animals have to live before getting slaughtered.

And I agree, free range eggs do taste better! So does organic beef. Fresh game (recently killed) is pretty tasty. Though how soon you eat it depends on how you're gonna prepare it. I've had jerky made from deer meat and it was okay, but I'm not much of a jerky fan to begin with.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    It's not the killing I have a problem with (that's usually swift and efficient) but it sucks the way the animals have to live before getting slaughtered.
    Not all the time, unfortunately.

Slaughterhouses are also dirty and extremely dangerous places for the humans who work there, often for minimal wages. Slaughterhouses, in many instances, have few government regulations in place to protect their workers. Eric Schlosser touched on this briefly in Fast Food Nation.

I have heard a lot about this book, but I haven't gotten up the courage to read it yet.

Slaughterhouse

Slaughterhouse is the first book of its kind to explore the impact that unprecedented changes in the meatpacking industry over the last twenty-five years—particularly industry consolidation, increased line speeds, and deregulation—have had on workers, animals, and consumers. It is also the first time ever that workers have spoken publicly about what’s really taking place behind the closed doors of America’s slaughterhouses.
    Carrie: What kind of impotence do you think it is? Charlotte: The kind that makes it soft. (Sex and the City)

Ick. Factory slaughterhouses do sound disgusting.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    Posted from my iPhone
    Please don't join this otherwise productive conversation. People get angry with YOU as opposed to people like aabbcc because you are militant, angry, and plain insufferable. If that gets me an infraction, so be it. People DO listen, they just don't listen to you. Get the point. You are condescending, rude, and absolutely arrogant when it comes to expressing your viewpoint about meat. I absolutely hate when you join any conversation spewing all of your crap, miss "I have morals, I have a conscience, no one else does." Back out of this thread before it goes to shit, it deserves a chance. You do your own cause SO MUCH fucking injustice it is incredible.

aabbcc, thank you for the information, I appreciate it.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

My brother and his wife are vegetarians (they do a bit of dairy, free range eggs and such) but they aren't obnoxious about what anyone else does. Hell, my brother was grilling his stepson a beef hamburger when I went over there once so they don't even enforce it on their kids, just something they prefer for themselves. They do often come up with some tasty stuff. I just don't think I could do it. She's a SAHM and has more time to experiment with food.

I have noticed when I eat less meat, as in beef or pork (and definitely not anything processed) I feel better physically. But I love poultry and fish. That would be way harder for me to eliminate than beef. And there's no way in hell my husband is giving up any meat, which would make it even harder. I miss the quality of the seafood that I used to have on a regular basis when living in Miami.

A*O

I have no time for militant petards either but their agenda is always so transparent it's amusing to see them do their cause so much harm with their strident condemnation of anyone who dares follow a different path to them. I am totally against the cruel treatment of animals but I still like to eat them. I'm a food chain kinda person.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Free range eggs are not necessarily more humane. There are quite a few farms that grind up those male chicks alive. However, the militant vegan attitude does not help the cause. There's a different between educating and simply pointing a finger and calling someone an animal killer.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    It's interesting that people feel sorry for veal calves, but no one feels sorry for other 'food' animals who also live horrid lives [and have to deal with the suffering for much, much longer]. Factory chickens, for example, spend their lives crammed into small cages with other chickens, packed so tightly they rub all their feathers off and their feet grow around the wire of the cages because they can't move. Their beaks are sliced off with hot knives so they won't peck each other to death in their distress at such close confinement. The cages are stacked from floor to ceiling and the chickens in the top cages poop all over the chickens in the lower cages. It's horrendous. No animal should have to live like that.
    I feel sorry for all animals raised for meat. That's why I've been a vegetarian for over a decade. I love eggs, and I used to eat them every morning for breakfast, but I don't anymore because I don't agree with the way chickens are crammed into battery cages. Even free range chickens are not treated very kindly, so I don't trust that label at all.

I am not a total vegan, because it is VERY hard to cut out ALL dairy products. But I am trying my best because dairy cows are abused, too. And the poor veal calves in the video are a product of the dairy industry. I posted this particular video because I just came across it & felt like others should see it as well. I couldn't believe the cruelty of those farmers ripping calves from their mothers directly after birth (because god forbid the calves drink any of the milk that is meant for us.) And then chained in a stall for four months and inhumanely slaughtered. What a pitiful existence - to never know a mother's nurturing, to never see the light of day, to never graze as cows are meant to do. We're disgusting as a species for treating other living beings in that way.

Why do we even drink cow's milk anyway? (Or eat chicken's eggs for that matter?) It seems like a totally unnatural to drink the milk meant for baby cows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information