Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wendy's sells new fries with potato skin, sea salt

Default Wendy's sells new fries with potato skin, sea salt

Wendy's sells new fries with potato skin, sea salt - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK With an eye toward appealing to foodies, Wendy's is remaking its fries with Russett potatoes, leaving the skin on and sprinkling sea salt on top.

The fast-food chain has been changing its menu to focus on "real" ingredients to win more fans.

The first move in the strategy was a new line of salads such as Apple Pecan Chicken in the summer. Now, the fries, which first appear on Thursday and roll out over the next two weeks. This is the first major overhaul of the 41-year-old company's fries, although it has adjusted the recipe in the past.

The new fries are slightly slimmer than the old ones, and crispier because they're smaller. They will have more salt, a medium size fry goes from 350 milligrams to 500 milligrams, and calories add 10 to 420. The selling price will not change, ranging from 99 cents to about $2. The fries will still come to stores frozen.

Wendy's is planning a marketing push, including national television ads airing later this month, to highlight the changes.

"We want every ingredient to be a simple ingredient, to be one you can pronounce and one your grandmother would recognize in her pantry," said Chief Marketing Officer Ken Calwell, who declined to say what the Dublin, Ohio, company was spending on the effort.

People want more natural foods and they want to know where they come from, he said. Having the skin on is a way to remind people that fries come from potatoes, he said. Testing showed that some people think restaurant french fries are processed foods, he said. The old recipe used a blend of potatoes, not always Russett, but the fries were 100 percent potato.

Sea salt is being increasingly used in fine dining and in mainstream eating. Lay's, part of PepsiCo Inc., uses sea salt in a version of its natural potato chips.

The new fries are also cooked in a different blend of vegetable oils.

Wendy's worked with its suppliers to grow more Russett potatoes, so the new recipe will only cost a fraction more to produce.

The company, a unit of Wendy's/Arby's Group Inc., has never been known for its fries, Calwell concedes. Burger King in the late 1990s famously overhauled its recipe to be crispier.

Wendy's said its new fries have been selling well in five test markets, including New Orleans and Orlando, in the past eight to nine months, he said. Wendy's has changed its fry recipe over the years, by adjusting the blend of oil used to fry them, and the amount of time they go from preparation to order, among other things. But those changes aren't something that could be easily understood by diners, so they were never touted.

Fries are very important to restaurant chains because they're a staple, but they've never been a major part of Wendy's business, said Joscelyn MacKay, a securities analyst with Morningstar. The company has been known more for its beef, which is fresh, not frozen. Fries are more of an afterthought to Wendy's, so it's not likely this will drive new business.

"It's very consistent with their positioning but at the end of the day, it's going to be down to taste," she said.

I don't normally order fries (don't normally eat fast food), but I might have to try some of these...
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

in what kind of oil and how often does ut get changed? fastfood fries gross me out unless they are from Evos
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Speaking of oil...

Is there a way to make this stuff taste good without completely submerging it in oil? I mean, I liked baked potatoes. Can't you just spritz the potato sticks with a little olive oil or peanut oil or something? Or put it in a lightly oiled agitating heating pan and cook them that way until they were done? They would have probably 1/4 the fat of traditional fries.

I like fries. Bojangles fries are good. Yes they're submerged in oil, but there not supposed to be eaten daily. They're not gonna kill you bro.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

The last thing my fat ass needs is fries, but I'd try them. I like when they leave the potato skins on.

Wendy's has pretty crappy fries imo but I would like to try these.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I like fries. Bojangles fries are good. Yes they're submerged in oil, but there not supposed to be eaten daily. They're not gonna kill you bro.
    True. But I'm kind of wondering why so many things have to be deep fried. Even that packaged ramen noodle stuff is deep fried. Why? It's just noodles. People are going to add water and cook it and make it soft again. How does the oil help? When Campbells briefly offered baked ramen noodles, they cut the total fat in a package from 16 grams to about 4.

^ It's much faster to deep fry than to bake or boil, though. Presumably more energy efficient once the oil's heated up, too; fries would undoubtedly cost much more if they were baked.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

and, let's face it, they also don't taste as good. i'd rather eat them less often but when i do, i want the crispy, oily, fried, delicious kind.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The only fries I eat are Five Guys fries. Everything tastes bland after you've had them.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Speaking of oil...

Is there a way to make this stuff taste good without completely submerging it in oil? I mean, I liked baked potatoes. Can't you just spritz the potato sticks with a little olive oil or peanut oil or something? Or put it in a lightly oiled agitating heating pan and cook them that way until they were done? They would have probably 1/4 the fat of traditional fries.
    you can do oven fries, just toss cut up potatoes in some olive oil and bake

Yummy.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Everyone who works in fast food basically works on a timer and has to do a very fair amount of work as quickly as possible.

But as automated as a lot of fast food prep work is, I would think they could think up some quick and easy way to do baked fries.

Wendy's is nice because they have offered up salads and stuff for a long while now.

I haven't set foot in a Wendy's in decades. I miss their breakfast. Decadent stuff.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information