Thread: The facts about removing odor from the fridge

Default The facts about removing odor from the fridge

The facts about removing odor from the fridge | Yahoo! Green

The nontoxic, natural cleaning powers of baking soda have been known for generations, and many people leave a box of the stuff in their refrigerator to try to fight odors. But many of us aren't using it correctly. There are some things you should know about how baking soda works to get real results and the best value for your money.

Baking soda, which is really 100% sodium bicarbonate, eliminates odors by neutralizing strong acids and stabilizing strong bases the root causes of most bad odors.

According to Leslie Stein of the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, there aren't any real-world studies that prove the odor-eating effectiveness of baking soda, but there are reams of anecdotal evidence and lessons from the lab.

To get the most out of baking soda, follow these three guidelines.

1. Replace it often
    Most of us leave an open box of baking soda in the fridge for months, if not years. But experts recommend changing out a fresh box every one to three months.

Baking soda neutralizes odors by turning them into inert crystalline salts, according to Ray Brown, a research and development scientist with Church & Dwight, the company that makes Arm & Hammer. Over time, the salts build up (that's the crust that develops on the top) and baking soda loses its effectiveness. Brown says the odors work their way through the box, and stirring it up doesn't really help.

After its odor-fighting ability is exhausted, the used baking soda will still have enough power to use for cleaning counters, trash cans, or drains, Brown says, but don't use it for baking or personal care.

2. Open the box in the right location
    It's critical that the baking soda powder actually come in contact with the odors. Tear off the box top, and make sure that airflow around the baking soda isn't restricted by a shelf or other items in the refrigerator.

The best bet is to place an open box as close as possible to the refrigerator's fan.

"Baking soda is not like a fragrance, which goes into the air to cover up odors," says Brown. "Baking soda reacts with the bad odors. When the fridge door is closed, air is circulating past the baking soda, and odors are continually removed."

3. Use the right tool for the job
    If baking soda isn't working on a tough odor, or if you want to get rid of all odors, including chemically neutral ones like fruity or floral scents, try activated carbon (sometimes called activated charcoal). This material is treated to make it extremely porous, like a sponge for the air, so it can absorb a large amount of odor but it still must be replaced.

Activated carbon is used in water filters, shoe inserts, cat litter, and fish tanks, and can be purchased at pet stores or ordered online. The downside? It's not as widely available as baking soda, and it costs more (about five times as much, per pound.) So most of the time, you'll be better off sticking with baking soda.

Bronze Member

Vinegar's good for removing tough odors as well.

That reads like a baking soda advertisement. Just clean the damn fridge instead of trying to mask the odours.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    That reads like a baking soda advertisement. Just clean the damn fridge instead of trying to mask the odours.
    Exactly. Keep foods tightly closed in their packages and clean the shit out. IMO most odors come from left overs being in there for too damn long.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I agree, A fridge shouldnt smell
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

My boyfriends likes that heavy smelling cheese. Nothing helps to keep that odor in its package. But one thing helps: Cut an apple in two parts and just put it in the fridge. It helps - no clue why.

How about covering dead body smell in your car, same steps?

Dead body smell is such a hassle. You've got to replace the carpet, scrub everything with bleach, ..ugh

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Why the fuck don't you just clean out your fridge and keep things wrapped properly.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Because the author probably got some sort of kickback from Arm and Hammer

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Why the fuck don't you just clean out your fridge and keep things wrapped properly.
    don't know. ask my co-workers. the fridge in our office is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen / smelled.

Thread Information