Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Apple/Apple Pie/Applesauce etc recipes wanted

Default Easy Apple/Apple Pie/Applesauce etc recipes wanted

I have a lot of Liberty Apples(kind of like a McIntosh I think) from my father's tree(which I planted) and I wondered if anyone had any good recipes for apple things..maybe pies or crisps or something? Or maybe one for sauce that has a special 'something' to it? Something nice but easy so I cannot screw it up.

I also have alot of left over sweet and low(bulk) I would not mind using up.
    Thanks.

* I love the apple tree-It produces every year with lots of apples, little insect damage and no disease or spraying at all. It is so attractive it could well be an ornamental. I recommend 'Liberty' apple on a semi-dwarfing rootstock very highly!

Apple sauce is easy. Wash apples, get rid of stems and cores. Peel if you want to or leave the peel on. Tiny bit of water in the bottom of a pot. Cook them until mushy. Don't burn. Puree in blender. Let it cool first if your blender is plastic. Add cinnamon and/or cloves to taste. Sweeten only if you want to. Eat, freeze, whatever. Depending on the type of apple, leaving the peel on will result in various shades of pink sauce. I don't know if it has the "special something" but it is easy.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Apple sauce is easy. Wash apples, get rid of stems and cores. Peel if you want to or leave the peel on. Tiny bit of water in the bottom of a pot. Cook them until mushy. Don't burn. Puree in blender. Let it cool first if your blender is plastic. Add cinnamon and/or cloves to taste. Sweeten only if you want to. Eat, freeze, whatever. Depending on the type of apple, leaving the peel on will result in various shades of pink sauce. I don't know if it has the "special something" but it is easy.
    Can I put them in a big crock pot? I have one. Also do I need to add acid(lemon juice) while preparing them, or does it matter since they will turn darker anyway?

Is there any recipe out there for something with cherries and apples? ( I have some cherries too..sweet cherries).

And yeah, I plan freeze alot of it.

oatmeal apple crumble. can't go wrong. and i'm wary of anything that involves pastry but crumble is super easy.

i can't remember where i got the recipe (probably epicurious since that's my go-to places for just about everything) but i don't even use it anymore when making this because it's that easy.

2-3 apples. cut in half length-wise and then into thin slices.
    put them in a bowl and toss with brown sugar and lemon juice
    place apples in baking dish and add a little water, then bake until they're golden and tender.

in another bowl, mix about 1/4 cup of rolled oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, pinch of salt. add butter (maybe 2 tbsp) with your fingers so that it's not perfectly mixed in but makes more of a lumpy mud, which you then spoon on top of the apples and put them back in the oven until the topping is golden and crispy.

this is what you're supposed to do but because i like it better when the apples aren't as cooked, i add way less water and only put them in the oven maybe 5-10 minutes before taking them out and putting the oatmeal topping on.

depending on how much i want i add more or less apples and oats. i don't really measure anything out because it's really impossible to get it wrong.

a friend of mine also taught me to make this with a mix of oatmeal and flour and it's the same thing except use half oatmeal and half flour and mix with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.

i also make apple pie but i cheat and buy the pastry and then all i have to do is blind bake it with tinfoil on top and beans or something for weight for maybe 10-15mins and meanwhile mix thin apple slices in a bowl with lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon (or use fresh grated ginger instead of cinnamon and it's also delicious), take the pastry out of the oven, spoon the apples in and return to oven until done.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

MMmmm crumble..

Crock pot would be perfect! I don't bother with lemon juice but I might if it was going to be out or refrigerated for any length of time. We usually just eat it fresh so that's never been an issue. Yeah, add cherries. Experiment! Fine tune the sweetness to whatever your preferences are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, and it goes without saying you can make crumble with any fruit, the recipe is the same. you could mix some cherries in with the apples, or do just berries, peach, etc... the possibilities are endless.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Will have to get some brown sugar..but I have a ton ot oats( I love oats..in fact I sometimes eat oats raw...just out of a dish. like a horse or something. maybe with a little water.)

I am going over to my parent's house tomorrow and I am going to get even more apples.

My SIL (who is training to be a chef(-see? she is ten years older than I am and is making a successful career move-why shouldn't I?) used some of them to make some delicious old fashioned apple pies with the lattice tops and all. So very good!

JUST to be a smartass: get in your car, go to local supermarket...purchase said apple pie/applesauce.

Go home. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    JUST to be a smartass: get in your car, go to local supermarket...purchase said apple pie/applesauce.

Go home. Enjoy!

I normally would. But these are from a tree I planted myself. A mail order tree. A bareroot stick. I purchased two..one for my dad, and one for us(my partner and I). The other tree did produce nice apples which we(my partner and I) enjoyed, but it(like my partner) got sick, and died.

The only one left is the one at my dad's house. And it has done so well and is so attractive and productive. I want to enjoy the apples from this tree(and share the products of the tree) with my dad while he is still alive. He is 82 years old...

He is still quite active and golfs twice a week(usually wins).

I also made spiced crab apples before from a crab apple(columnar tree called Maypole, two inch red fruit) from a tree I planted in his backyard way back. It is now only about 3 or 4 feet wide, and about 18 feet tall!

mom’s apple cake | smitten kitchen

i just made this & it is deeeeeeeeeelish. (i subbed lemonade for the o.j.)

also, i love the story of your tree, sojii.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

A*O

For extra crunch you can add chopped (unsalted) nuts to any crumble mix - walnuts, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, even peanuts. I find lots of half-used packets of nuts at the back of the cupboard and they all go into a crumble with the oats.

Cherry Apple Chutney
    900g cherries (fresh or frozen and thawed)
    2 green apples, peeled and chopped
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
    Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil and boil uncovered, for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until fruit has softened and liquid is syrupy. Remove from heat and cool. Either pick out the cherry pips as you stir or risk cracking a tooth!
    Pour into an airtight container. Store in refrigerator.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have a recipe for the most amazing apple crisp (it's out of one of the major cookbooks but I've tweaked it along the way) .....

8 large apples (I find that Rome works best, but it can be used with any kind of apple), peeled and cut up. Put in a large rectangular lasagna or casserole dish.

3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I use almost double though)
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 stick of very cold butter (not frozen, but make sure you take it out of the fridge RIGHT before you're going to use it)

For the topping, mix all dry ingredients together in a Cuisinart. Cut the butter lengthwise and then into one teaspoon chunks. Throw the cut butter into the dry ingredients of the Cuisinart (don't clump them all together). Pulse until you have pea sized butter/dry ingredients. Spoon the topping all over the apples. I make two batches of the topping because it's that much more yummier. Make sure you "slam" the dish down a time or two on a counter to get some of the topping into the apples.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cook for 55 minutes. Let it sit for a minute or two before serving.

Tips: If you make in advance, make sure it goes into the fridge, covered, right after preparing. You need to keep the butter very cold or it will turn into mush. Do not cover dish in the oven. We find it tastes best with soft serve vanilla ice cream or just plain old vanilla ice cream from the supermarket. Superb dessert and very easy. These can also be made into individual crock bowls (my husband's favorite).

With Crumbles (apple,fruit) I have used Ginger Ale in place of water for a different taste.

And a neat trick I've found from an online pie recipe is to heat butter, brown sugar and bit of vanilla bean together into the caramel stage and pour over the top of an apple pie before baking it.
    Takes the simple apple pie into an entirely different level. My kiddies LOVE it.

And ...growing up I would watch my dad, bless his soul, core the middle out of an apple sitting in a bowl to stick a bit of butter and brown sugar in it and microwave (or bake). Within minutes you have a warm gooey apple to devour with the buttery.sugary liquid pooled around the bottom of the bowl.

The apples could also be paired with cheese and crackers as appetizers..no?

^^^^
    and salads.
    i love apples and pears in salads.
    throw in some walnuts and blue cheese and some dark lettuce and you've got a delicious, easy lunch.

Then there's breakfast. Core and slice an apple or two. Add to pot with oats, cinnamon and water. Cook. About 15 minutes later serve with brown sugar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information