Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids get nearly half their calories from junk food

Default Kids get nearly half their calories from junk food

Kids get nearly half their calories from junk food : The Thin Green Line

According to the American Cancer Institute, American young people aged 2 to 18 get 40 percent of their daily calories from empty calories — or calories that come with no nutritional value attached. Indeed, if you looked at kids' eating habits, you'd be forced to conclude that pizza and soda were key food groups: The NIC analysis showed that half of the empty calories kids get come from just six popular foods: pizza, soda, ice cream, cookies and cakes, sugary fruit drinks, and whole milk. (I wouldn't include whole milk or 100 percent juice drinks on this list if it were up to me, but it wasn't.)

The causes for these abhorrent eating habits are many, but researchers pointed to the food industry's work to make junk food "maximally palatable" and to market it aggressively.

"I don't see a solution unless we have serious limits on advertising of foods that damage the health and reduce the longevity of today's children," remarked Dr. Walter Willett, chair of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.

Looking at the kids out there I might agree with this. WTF is happening?

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I can't believe it's kids "aged 2 to 18". There's no reason for toddlers to be chowing down on junk food. I don't even accept the "junk food is cheaper than fresh" in this case, since the study is referring to treats, not junky meals:

pizza, soda, ice cream, cookies and cakes, sugary fruit drinks...
    And water is free...

I wouldn't have counted whole milk in there, though. It's real, wholesome food, and I know a lot of people actually drink whole milk, but a lot less of it, because they find it more satisfying than lower-fat (or they even use it in place of much higher-calorie cream), so the calorie difference is ultimately negligible.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Pizza doesn't seem to be all bad. I guess some toppings are loaded with grease, but I think you can have a pretty healthy pizza. Compared to candy, cookies and cakes.

The problem is that a lot of people genuinely don't think there's anything wrong with eating huge quantities of this crap and nothing else. They don't know about the costs to their health or that fresh fruit and veges are so much better, they really believe chicken nuggets and pizza is a good meal. It's so messed up. Saw a show about some town in America where half of the people are obese, they didn't even know what a potato or a tomato looked like. They just had NO idea.

Do parents not cook wholesome meals for their children anymore? Wtf do they sit down to dinner to, fried chicken nuggets and glistening porkwiches?

Wtf is wrong with parents today
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What's going on is laziness.

I have a friend with two small children and she knows better than to feed her kids McDonalds and mac and cheese, but she says she's tired when she gets home from work and just doesn't have the energy to cook or to fight with her kids about eating. She says she's picking her battles. But I think this is a battle worth fighting because her 5 year old has already been tagged by their pediatrician as being a bit overweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Do parents not cook wholesome meals for their children anymore? Wtf do they sit down to dinner to, fried chicken nuggets and glistening porkwiches?

Wtf is wrong with parents today
    A lot of parents don't cook wholesome meals or they cook two meals every night. One for the adults and the other for the kids. My friend will cook a nice meal for her and her husband, but chicken nuggets and fries or corn for the kids. She claims it's because they won't eat the healthy meal. I say bullshit. I'm stocking up on healtly recipes for my Wunderkind as we speak. I refuse to have her be one of those kids.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    A lot of parents don't cook wholesome meals or they cook two meals every night. One for the adults and the other for the kids. My friend will cook a nice meal for her and her husband, but chicken nuggets and fries or corn for the kids. She claims it's because they won't eat the healthy meal. I say bullshit. I'm stocking up on healtly recipes for my Wunderkind as we speak. I refuse to have her be one of those kids.
    If it gives you any encouragement, Kris, my 15-month-old eats everything we eat. We cooked real food for him from the start of solids - plus fortified baby cereals - and now we just share appropriately-sized pieces of our meals (as long as they're healthy; if we're being bad we'll give him some nice leftovers, fruit, yogurt, grains or something). I can't think of anything he's ever spat out or turned his nose up at; he didn't seem terribly impressed with a raw mushroom once, but that's about the extent of it! I call bullshit on kids innately preferring junk to real, healthy, delicious food too!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    If it gives you any encouragement, Kris, my 15-month-old eats everything we eat. We cooked real food for him from the start of solids - plus fortified baby cereals - and now we just share appropriately-sized pieces of our meals (as long as they're healthy; if we're being bad we'll give him some nice leftovers, fruit, yogurt, grains or something). I can't think of anything he's ever spat out or turned his nose up at; he didn't seem terribly impressed with a raw mushroom once, but that's about the extent of it! I call bullshit on kids innately preferring junk to real, healthy, delicious food too!
    That's what we're planning on doing. Introducing her to foods appropriate for her age. We got these cool little "feeders" to give to her when she's older. They look like these little mesh sacks and you fill them with the food that you eat, just pureed.

Pizza doesn't HAVE to be horrible----we make our own. Thin whole wheat crust, just a little sauce and lots of veggies that the girls put on themselves. They LOVE it. A little cheese, but not much. We do it once a week--Pizza Night!
    Both my girls have come to love veggies now because of it--and even other things like onions and garlic.

You can also make chicken 'nuggets' much healthier and fries too. Just takes some time....and practice.

EVERYONE gives in once in awhile though.....everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Pizza doesn't HAVE to be horrible----we make our own. Thin whole wheat crust, just a little sauce and lots of veggies that the girls put on themselves. They LOVE it. A little cheese, but not much. We do it once a week--Pizza Night!
    Both my girls have come to love veggies now because of it--and even other things like onions and garlic.

You can also make chicken 'nuggets' much healthier and fries too. Just takes some time....and practice.

EVERYONE gives in once in awhile though.....everyone.
    You have to give in. I don't want to be on the opposite end of the spectrum and not let her have anything junky and yummy.

i am not surprised. after getting together with some other moms of young kids, i was blown away by what a couple of the kids were eating. i saw a 13-month-old eat two huge sugar cookies with dyed frosting in less than two hours & then proceed to SCREAMMMMM at his mom until she gave in & gave him more. that wasn't even the worst i saw. i didn't even know people gave kids that young junk food. i was horrified.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I don't think it's what kids are eating these days as much as how sedentary they are.

I ate an absolutely ungodly amount crap when I was a kid. But there was no such things as VCRs or video games, and I was outside running my ass off doing something physical.

totally agreed, mohandas.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information