Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Milk Under Siege: Should It Be Banned?

Default Chocolate Milk Under Siege: Should It Be Banned?

Chocolate Milk Under Siege: Should It Be Banned? - Food on Shine

If there’s one thing that most kids can agree on, it’s that chocolate milk is awesome.

Turns out a lot of parents, perhaps recalling their own childhood love of Bosco and Nesquik think so too. And most importantly, for many white-milk-averse kids, chocolate milk serves as a highly efficient, state-of-the-art calcium delivery system.

That’s why parents — and also kids, some of whom are honing their petitioning skills in the process — have whipped up a tempest in a half-pint about the latest lunchroom trend: No more chocolate milk. Schools from Washington to Wiggins to Wenatchee have removed all flavored milk from cafeterias, citing concerns about sugar consumption. And if you consider the success of Jaime Oliver’s school-food revolution, a chocolate milk fatwa, though hardly universal, was probably inevitable.

But is banning it really necessary? Depends whom you ask.

Obviously, the National Dairy Council, whose current campaign is “Raise Your Hand for Chocolate Milk,” and the Milk Processor Education program, which has backed studies showing calcium deficiency in three quarters of teens and, say no.

“There is a vocal minority looking at flavored milk from one sole angle, which is the sugar content. Parents need to consider the total nutrient package,” a Dairy Council VP recently told the New York Times.
    And for every parent whose response to such bans goes something like, “Lighten up,” there’s another who says, “Are you people seriously trying to tell me chocolate milk is ‘healthy’?”

The milk sold in schools today represents 7 percent of all milk sold nationwide; and 71 percent of it is flavored. Yet overall, milk sales have been down for years, and the dairy industry has explicitly stated that flavored milk “offers opportunity for growth.”

Blarney says Janet Poppendieck, a sociology professor at Hunter College in New York and author of Free for All: Fixing School Lunch in America, she told the New York Times: “As we have had our consciousness raised about milk both flavored and unflavored, the dairy council’s efforts begin to look less angelic.”

Setting aside the question of industry interests, some experts say that when it comes to talk of calcium vs. sugar (or “total nutrient package”), the chocolate milk debate misses the larger — and much more important — issue of what and how our kids eat.

Isn't there any chocolate milk without added sugar? Perhaps the little tubs of lard could try drinking that.

If it comes to calcium vs sugar, I'd go with less sugar even if it means less calcium. Give them a pill, or something.

A*O

Here's an idea. Instead of banning it why not educate the morons who still think it's healthy?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

NO. period. The chocolate milk at my kids' school is 1% milk fat which I thought kids were suppose to have the full fat because of brain development.

Yeah, withholding the chocolate milk will really do a difference when kids will go home and eat a family size bag of doritos and get zero exercise.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

There is chocolate syrup sweetened with Splenda in case people are worried about sugar.

I give my kids chocolate milk - at breakfast and night. Quite frankly, they get very little sugar the rest of the day, unless it's in fruit. When I was a kid, I drank chocolate milk that was so filled with syrup it looked like something out of the Deep Horizon well, and it didn't cause me any problems.

Ban the whole dairy industry. It's gross.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I don't buy chocolate milk but my son does have it occasionally at school. On occasion doesn't bother me.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

The only thing the kid I nanny for will drink is that nasty pre mixed quik stuff. She's a skinny kid but she doesn't eat much else... I can't believe her mom buys it for her.
    Posted from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Ban the whole dairy industry. It's gross.
    It is when you think about it. But that fact gets outweighed by pure, creamy deliciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    NO. period. The chocolate milk at my kids' school is 1% milk fat which I thought kids were suppose to have the full fat because of brain development.
    The "experts" say after age 2 all children should drink 1% or skim.

My kids get skim milk only. The 1% at school probably taste like half-and-half to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My kids get skim milk only. The 1% at school probably taste like half-and-half to them.
    My 4 year old nephew recently had whole milk for the "first" time. He immediately spit it out and said it was "chunky".

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    My 4 year old nephew recently had whole milk for the "first" time. He immediately spit it out and said it was "chunky".
    Ironically, I used to drink whole milk all the time as a kid. Huge amounts. I weaned myself off of it in my early twenties.

We followed our pediatrician's advice on reducing the amount of fat in the milk as our kids went from babies to toddlers. I think whole (4% fat) milk has about 8 grams of fat in an 8-ounce serving while skim has virtually 0 grams. That is a lot of unnecessary fat you are saving when you are drinking three or four cups a day.

in switzerland most children get whole milk when they're little. and it's what doctors recommend up to at least age 4 since it's less processed than skim or 2% and because children need healthy fats.
    but you also have to bear in mind that milk on the whole is better and more natural there than in the US - a lot less antibiotics or hormones (no preventive antibiotics - meaning they're only administered if the cow is actually sick). and organic milk is readily available in every supermarket.

also, and perhaps most importantly, people drink a lot less of it. a kid might get a cup of plain milk every morning (every once in a while a glass of milk with ovaltine - a normal glass, not a huge one either), yoghurt as a snack or some cheese. and that's it.
    it's not the same as north america where kids drink gallons of milk and have it with meals. that's pretty much unheard of anywhere else.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information