Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexican Coca-Cola makes inroads north of the border

Default Mexican Coca-Cola makes inroads north of the border

Mexican Coca-Cola makes inroads north of the border | La Plaza | Los Angeles Times

More consumers in the United States are cluing in to a secret that immigrants, Mexican Americans and ardent foodies have known for years: Mexican-made Coca-Cola is said to taste better than U.S.-made Coke. The cited reason? Mexican Coca-Cola still uses cane sugar as its main sweetener, while U.S. Coca-Cola is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

The drink is popular among Mexican Americans and migrants yearning for a fizzy and familiar taste from south of the border, and among foodies who insist that the taste difference is evident, despite a stated position by Coca-Cola's international headquarters that no difference can be discerned. Additionally, Mexican Coke is still usually bottled in glass, contributing to what some consider an authenticity factor that U.S. Coke loses when it comes in plastic or aluminum.

According to Daily Finance, in 2005, a Coca-Cola bottler in Texas started a pilot program to import Mexican Coke into the state. In 2006, Mexican Coke muscled its way into California, and in 2009, into Florida, Georgia, and several other states.

The result? Blogs and food websites raving about the crisp, more "natural" taste of Mexican Coke compared with U.S. Coke, and plenty of Facebook chatter.

One fan of Mexican Coca-Cola on Facebook recently wrote: "We sell Coke with real sugar at my cigar shop by the bottle and I can't keep it in stock it's so popular! I don't like calling it Mexican Coke because it's just real old school Coke -- like when I was a kid."

Well, "Mexican Coke" sounds like something it's not. Like the FBI is listening to your cellphone conversations now because you're asking how to get Mexican Coke and then you get busted for enjoying a beverage.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

They sell that and other cane sugar glass bottled sodas at the Fresh Market here in town. I had pretty much stopped drinking soda by the time HFC replaced sugar, but now that I can get my hands on actual cane sugar Coke, I'll have one every once in a while.

Does it actually taste THAT different/better?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I personally have very fine taste buds, and I think HFC tastes very syrupy. I really can taste it.

Lucrezia, you mean you gave up on sodas 25 years ago? Some say the 1985 New Coke fiasco was in fact a ploy to introduce HFC-sweetened Coke. When "classic" Coke was reintroduced, people could swear the taste had been altered, but I read that the switch to HFC had been made earlier than that.

We stock up on kosher Pepsi or Coke when they come out around Passover because it's made with sugar instead of HFC. We don't drink it often so we have it around for a while.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    I personally have very fine taste buds, and I think HFC tastes very syrupy. I really can taste it.

Lucrezia, you mean you gave up on sodas 25 years ago?
    Yeah, somewhere around there. I'm as old as rocks (ok, 40 doesn't really count as the age of rocks but sometimes I feel like it).

I wasn't that much of a soda drinker as a kid anyway - it was more of a treat than something kept around the house and by the time I reached teen years I drank it even less - just sort of lost my sweet tooth.

I never liked the HFC stuff much either. The sugar Coke reminds me of soda when I was a kid - and I still like it the same way: in a glass bottle (the small sized ones when I was a kid, much smaller than today's) ice cold - so cold ice is literally floating in the bottle.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I can tell a difference.

The Mexican Coke tastes like the soda of my childhood. I can definitely taste the difference.

It's widely available here. I rarely drink soda but if I want one I'll seek it out.

One of my boyfriend's cousins is a high level exec with Cocoa Cola and apparently they don't like the popularity (has something to do with regional reps losing money or something like that.) We were talking about it and I told him they need to stop with the HFCS!

Anyway it sounds like they're dealing with it in Texas.

Mexican Coke also comes in glass bottles which I also like better. One of our friends always takes the bottles back to Mexico for the refund.

They have it here too, mainly at little Mexican grocery stores or mom and pop restaurants. I think it tastes a lot better than the regular stuff.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Does it actually taste THAT different/better?
    Oh yeah!

Try some soon, if you can.

It does taste different. I noticed that Target had a small selection of mexican sodas in the bottle and they were all out of Coke. I don't even drink soda but I have heard lots of people say they prefer the Mexican bottled coke over American coke. Good, cause HFCS is even worse for you than all that sugar.

it does taste different & much better. if i'm going to drink a soda, i only drink mexican coke. they are very easy to find in my town.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I think around here (the Netherlands) we still have it with real sugar. Maybe not cane sugar but a least it's not HFC.

We don't have a lot of products that have HFC in it, I think.

I wish CocaCola would just start making Coke with cane sugar again. Mexican coke does taste way better, pepsi with real sugar too as was mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information