Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Authority
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: Goodbye High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hello Corn Sugar (Signed, Corn Industry)

Default Goodbye High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hello Corn Sugar (Signed, Corn Industry)

Whether it's HFCS or any other refined sugar people just eat too much of it.

Goodbye High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hello Corn Sugar (Signed, Corn Industry)

NEW YORK — The makers of high fructose corn syrup want to sweeten up its image with a new name: corn sugar.

The bid to rename the sweetener by the Corn Refiners Association comes as Americans' concerns about health and obesity have sent consumption of high fructose corn syrup, used in soft drinks but also in bread, cereal and other foods, to a 20-year low.

The group applied Tuesday to the Food and Drug Administration to get the "corn sugar" name approved for use on food labels. They hope a new name will ease confusion about about the sweetener. Some people think it is more harmful or more likely to make them obese than sugar, perceptions for which there is little scientific evidence.

Approval of the new name could take two years, but that's not stopping the industry from using the term now in advertising. There's a new online marketing campaign at and on television. Two new commercials try to alleviate shopper confusion, showing people who say they now understand that "whether it's corn sugar or cane sugar, your body can't tell the difference. Sugar is sugar." CornSugar.com - Facts About Sugar From Corn

Renaming products has succeeded before. For example, low eurcic acid rapeseed oil became much more popular after becoming "canola oil" in 1988. Prunes tried to shed a stodgy image by becoming "dried plums" in 2000.

The new name would help people understand the sweetener, said Audrae Erickson, president of the Washington-based group.

"It has been highly disparaged and highly misunderstood," she said. She declined to say how much the campaign costs.

Some scientists have linked consumption of full-calorie soda – the vast majority of which is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup – to obesity.

But sugar and high fructose corn syrup are nutritionally the same, and there's no evidence that the sweetener is any worse for the body than sugar, said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. The bottom line is people should consume less of all sugars, Jacobson said.

"Soda pop sweetened with sugar is every bit as conducive to obesity as soda pop sweetened with high fructose corn syrup," he said.

The American Medical Association says there's not enough evidence yet to restrict the use of high fructose corn syrup, although it wants more research.

Still, Americans increasingly are blaming high fructose corn syrup and avoiding it. First lady Michelle Obama has said she doesn't want her daughters eating it.

Parents such as Joan Leib scour ingredient labels and won't buy anything with it. The mother of two in Somerville, Mass., has been avoiding the sweetener for about a year to reduce sweeteners in her family's diet.

"I found it in things that you would never think needed it, or should have it," said Leib, 36. "I found it in jars of pickles, in English muffins and bread. Why do we need extra sweeteners?"

Many companies are responding by removing it from their products. Last month, Sara Lee switched to sugar in two of its breads. Gatorade, Snapple and Hunt's Ketchup very publicly switched to sugar in the past two years.

The average American ate 35.7 pounds of high fructose corn syrup last year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's down 21 percent from 45.4 pounds 10 years before.

Cane and beet sugar, meanwhile, have hovered around 44 pounds per person per year since the mid-1980s, after falling rapidly in the 1970s when high fructose corn syrup – a cheaper alternative to sugar – gained favor with soft drink makers.

With sales falling in the U.S., the industry is growing in emerging markets like Mexico and revenue has been steady at $3 billion to $4 billion a year, said Credit Suisse senior analyst Robert Moskow. There are five manufacturers in the U.S.: Archer Daniels Midland Inc., Corn Products International, Cargill, Roquette America, and Tate & Lyle.

Corn refiners say their new name better describes the sweetener.

"The name 'corn sugar' more accurately reflects the source of the food (corn), identifies the basic nature of the food (a sugar), and discloses the food's function (a sweetener)," the petition said.

Will shoppers swallow the new name?

The public is skeptical, so the move will be met with criticism, said Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.

"This isn't all that much different from any of the negative brands trying to embrace new brand names," he said, adding the change is similar to what ValuJet – whose name was tarnished by a deadly crash in 1996 – did when it bought AirTran's fleet and took on its name.

"They're not saying this is a healthy vitamin, or health product," he said. "They're just trying to move away from the negative associations."

Zee

FDA had better not approve this change. Total bs request
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Did anyone watch King Corn where the 2 guys made HFCS in the kitchen?

You can see it at 4:07 in this clip. Love when they're reading the warning on the sufuric acid and there's a picture of a skeleton hand and it says, "battery fluid".

I recommend seeing the whole doc though. It's available for instant watch on Netflix.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfIMbv_f0Q[/YOUTUBE]

Same shit, better name. :/
    hustle4alivin likes this.

clearly it's the name that's the problem. not the fact that you're eating crap.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I majored in nutrition in college (irony of ironies) and I'm pretty sure this
    "whether it's corn sugar or cane sugar, your body can't tell the difference. Sugar is sugar."
    is bullshit. I recall professors mentioning studies where they found the body took longer to get the "full-stop eating" message from HFCS. Meaning you eat more.

And maybe, not sure but I wanna say I even remember something about how cancer cells preferred HFCS for growth--though it's been a long time so don't quote me.

ANyhow, yes HFCS may be "nutritionally" the same but I'd say your body does know the difference and I'd stay far away from it. The only useful thing I'd agree with is to lower your overall sugar intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

is bullshit. I recall professors mentioning studies where they found the body took longer to get the "full-stop eating" message from HFCS. Meaning you eat more.

And maybe, not sure but I wanna say I even remember something about how cancer cells preferred HFCS for growth--though it's been a long time so don't quote me.
    I've heard both of these as well. The full stop eating fullness thing I completely believe, and I just read another new study on cancer cells and HFCS.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Yes, it's a complete farce, those "HFCS is harmless & no different than sugar" commercials. It's blatant lies and just goes to show how powerful those corn farmers association lobbyists are.

ANyhow, yes HFCS may be "nutritionally" the same but I'd say your body does know the difference and I'd stay far away from it. The only useful thing I'd agree with is to lower your overall sugar intake.
    UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center : Cancer Treatment and Research Pancreatic cancers use the sugar fructose, very common in the Western diet, to activate a key cellular pathway that drives cell division, helping the cancer to grow more quickly, a study by researchers at UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center has found.

and this...http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a...S26/91/22K07/: "Some people have claimed that high-fructose corn syrup is no different than other sweeteners when it comes to weight gain and obesity, but our results make it clear that this just isn't true, at least under the conditions of our tests," said psychology professor Bart Hoebel, who specializes in the neuroscience of appetite, weight and sugar addiction. "When rats are drinking high-fructose corn syrup at levels well below those in soda pop, they're becoming obese -- every single one, across the board. Even when rats are fed a high-fat diet, you don't see this; they don't all gain extra weight."

I hate those ads that promote this stuff.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

See, my degree wasn't *completely* useless! I find it helps me win NTN bar trivia too!

See, my degree wasn't *completely* useless! I find it helps me win NTN bar trivia too!
    lol

Another study I can't find at the moment says that even though it lowers sugar intake, it plays havoc with diabetics and it shouldn't be consumed. I hope I can find the study again because it is extensive.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Fructose, Corn Sugar...Whatever...It's Not The Same As Sugar

Author: Dave Wittenborn
    Published: September 16, 2010 at 2:33 pm

On September 14th, the Corn Refiners Association petitioned the FDA to approve the use of the name "corn sugar" to replace "fructose."

While this may be the equivalent of placing a fake nose and glasses over the substance formerly known as high fructose corn syrup, or HFCS, the assumption by corn refiners such as Cargill and Archer Daniels Midland that the general public is too stupid to see through the disguise is nowhere near as offensive as the outright lies being told by the industry that your body can't tell the difference between HFCS and sugar.

If you would like an in-depth, but very entertaining explanation of how your body metabolizes fructose differently than sugar, watch this outstanding presentation by Dr. Robert Lustig, M.D., a UCSF Professor in the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Here's the deal. HFCS used in most food products is a blend of about 55% fructose and 42% glucose. Sugar, or sucrose is also composed of about the same proportions of the same two substances. The difference, and your body considers it to be a BIG difference, is that in regular sugar, the fructose and glucose components are chemically bonded together. In HFCS, they are not chemically connected.
    This diagram depicts roughly what a molecule of sugar would look like, fructose and glucose, bound together. Take away the "bar" that connects the two, and you have the equivalent of HFCS.
    Because of this difference, according to researchers at Princeton University, your liver metabolizes HFCS in a very different, and harmful, way than it metabolizes the same amount of calories from cane sugar, leading to significant relative weight gain and other health problems from HFCS.
    As if that's not enough, recently a UCLA research team found that cancer cells that were fed fructose grew at a significantly faster rate than did cells that were fed common sugar.

Study author Dr. Anthony Heaney, Associate Professor of Medicine and Neurosurgery at UCLA's cancer center, said it was likely that fructose would also speed the growth of other cancers as well. The study was published in the August 1, 2010 issue of "Cancer Research."

The bottom line is this: if HFCS was indeed the same as sugar, the corn refiners would be providing research to prove it, rather than hiding behind the smoke and mirrors of changing its name. The truth is, it's NOT the same, and independent research proves it. The FDA should ignore the name change request and focus on the lies being told to the public.

Source:Fructose, Corn Sugar...Whatever...It's Not The Same As Sugar - Technorati Family
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup Fails to Reinvent Itself as ‘Corn Sugar’

The makers of high fructose corn syrup are no doubt crying sugar sweet tears into their sodas today over the news that the FDA has ruled that they cannot change the name of their product to "corn sugar." The Corn Refiners Association had asked to change the name because they said people had a "bad impression of HFCS because of its complicated name."

Ha. Or it's because we've been told repeatedly that it causes diabetes, obesity, and any number of other problems. But, yes, it's probably the lengthy moniker that gave it a bad name. Not that corn sugar even sounds all that different from corn syrup, but whatever... In any event, the FDA said no to corn sugar because technically sugar is "solid, dried, and crystallized," and syrup is "an aqueous solution or liquid food." (Sounds delicious!) Also there's apparently something else already on the market called corn sugar. Well, maybe they ought to aim for something completely new and different in a name. How about corn candy? Punch in the pancreas? Metabolism melter? Can't see why you wouldn't want to eat a piece of candy with one of those as the primary ingredient.

High Fructose Corn Syrup Fails to Reinvent Itself as 'Corn Sugar'
    holly likes this.

Thread Information