Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing Kitchen Gadgets

A*O

Default Embarrassing Kitchen Gadgets

I have a shameful confession - I just went out and bought a MELON BALLER!!!
    Looking through my gizmo drawer I also found a butter curler, an avocado slicer, some paper lace doilies, an egg pricker and a julienne slicer - none of which has ever been used as far as I can recall.

Come one, fess up and be absolved.

Edit: Also an olive pitter
    Last edited by A*O; March 11th, 2006 at 08:57 PM.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Default Re: Embarrassing Kitchen Gadgets

Where to begin? OK, I have a vintage waffle iron that makes heart-shaped waffles. Never been used. An old-fashioned toaster -- the kind where you put the toast in on either side -- that I used to use, but my husband doesn't like so it stays in the cupboard. Two blenders, one a vintage Waring, which I rarely use. A juicer that enjoyed some use last summer and fall until my husband lost interest. A food processer that gets used occasionally. A pulser that I've used once. Every kind of cake and bread pan and pie plate imaginable, plus cookie sheets and muffin pans. I rarely have time to bake any more. A cappuccino machine etc. that gets used only when I insist my hubby make me a cup. About four different kinds of coffee makers, including a drip, a cafetiere and a Vietnamese. Etcetera.

What do I use? A beat-up old cheese grater, the kind you hold. An old glass citrus juicer. My 25-year-old hand mixer that works like a charm. An old metal cake pan that I'm too embarrassed to ever leave out on the counter, but over which I seriously freaked out once when I thought I'd lost it in a move. An air popper. My old English teapot, complete with chips from the last earthquake. Are you starting to get the picture?

I feel a serious bout of spring cleaning coming on.

Elite Member

I have a melon baller -- rarely use it on melons, instead, I make my kids mini ice cream sundaes. They think the tiny scoops of ice cream are very cute.

My friends laugh at my cookie scooper. But they are probably just jealous! It allows me to make bakery-perfect cookies!!! (tulip gave me the best idea to use it FOR ICE CREAM!!)

I use my apple slicer/corer at least twice a day, but that's not really 'embarrassing'.

I love kitchen gadgets. A*O, I've never seen an avacado slicer...does it work well?
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    Where to begin? OK, I have a vintage waffle iron that makes heart-shaped waffles. Never been used. An old-fashioned toaster -- the kind where you put the toast in on either side -- that I used to use, but my husband doesn't like so it stays in the cupboard. Two blenders, one a vintage Waring, which I rarely use. A juicer that enjoyed some use last summer and fall until my husband lost interest. A food processer that gets used occasionally. A pulser that I've used once. Every kind of cake and bread pan and pie plate imaginable, plus cookie sheets and muffin pans. I rarely have time to bake any more. A cappuccino machine etc. that gets used only when I insist my hubby make me a cup. About four different kinds of coffee makers, including a drip, a cafetiere and a Vietnamese. Etcetera.

What do I use? A beat-up old cheese grater, the kind you hold. An old glass citrus juicer. My 25-year-old hand mixer that works like a charm. An old metal cake pan that I'm too embarrassed to ever leave out on the counter, but over which I seriously freaked out once when I thought I'd lost it in a move. An air popper. My old English teapot, complete with chips from the last earthquake. Are you starting to get the picture?

I feel a serious bout of spring cleaning coming on.
    The good old fashioned things can't be beat in my book.

^^Agreed. I inherited a melon baller that I've never used from my husband when we combined households. One weird thing I bought that I actually use is a cherry pitter for making jam and freezing all the luscious cherries we get here in summer. As for all the other gadgets in my drawers and cupboards, there will be a day of reckoning soon!

Zee

I have a press to make toast say I love you. Never used the damn thing and it has moved with us at least 6 times. The kids now use it on play dough.

Popover pans for the one time every 10 years that I make popovers.

What is a butter curler?
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

SVZ

Swanson's Frozen Dinners

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    Swanson's Frozen Dinners
    I eat Lean Cuisines and SmartOnes from WW which don't even have the retro appeal of a Swanson's!

SVZ

Aren't those made by Swanson?

But these really are a godsend when you're too damn lazy to cook or do anything and just want to eat

A*O

Butter curler - it's a metal hook thing you scrape over a block of butter and you get thin curls of, er, butter.
    Totally poncy and useless.
    Ditto the avocado slicer.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I have a cheese curler. I used to use it, but haven't in years.

Zee

Thanks I have one then. I always thought it was for making chocolate curls. Would explain why it never worked very well. I'll use it for the next batch of popovers.

I also have sterling silver grape scissors. They were a wedding gift and have never been used.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I have a mini food processor that I love. I also have Ikea wooden salad tongs. I mostly use them as arm extension when I need to reach for something up in a high cabinet!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I have a Hello Kitty Sandwich Grill Pan.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information