Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports Readers Rate The Best Burgers

Default Consumer Reports Readers Rate The Best Burgers

Consumer Reports Readers Rate The Best Burgers - Yahoo! Shopping

McDonald's burgers are certainly cheap and fast, but you still might wonder why billions have been consumed when you see the results of our recent survey of 28,000 online subscribers who rated burgers at 18 fast-food restaurants.

Among the standouts were In-N-Out Burger and Five Guys Burgers and Fries. The biggest loser: McDonald's. Burger King and Wendy's fared better than McDonald's but far worse than the highest-rated chains.

In-N-Out Burger, which touts its fresh ground chuck, has 247 restaurants in California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona. Five Guys had 640 restaurants in 42 states. And McDonald's? 14,000 restaurants. We sent a reporter (not a trained taster, but he has eaten his share of burgers) to make an informal comparison of the fare at Five Guys and McDonald's. Here's what he found.

Five Guys

Five Guys The regular hamburger, two 3.3-ounce griddled patties, was served well done on a lightly browned sesame-seed bun. You can order any of 15 free toppings (the usual, plus options such as grilled mushrooms and jalapeno peppers). Bacon and cheese cost extra. The patties had a bit of searing along the edges, a chewy texture (the chopped meat was fairly coarse), and a beefy flavor. They reminded our reporter of minute steak. The meat was juicy but left an oily taste in his mouth. The bun was soft and spongy.

McDonald's

The basic burger was one 3.5-ounce patty with pickle slices, bits of chopped raw onion, and a dab of ketchup and mustard, served on a lightly browned bun. The meat tasted mild and more greasy than beefy. It was easier to bite through than the Five Guys patty and was uniformly round and brownish-gray. The major flavor came from the toppings. The bun was airy and bland.

Bottom Line

The Five Guys burger was bigger and beefier but costs about $5, compared with $1 for McDonald's. (Five Guys sells a one-patty Little Hamburger for about $3.50.) And the meat is made to order, not in advance, so we waited 5 to 10 minutes.

Close Up

Our reporter couldn't get his hands on an In-N-Out burger, but readers gave it high marks. "It always seems as though the burger was made moments before," one said, "as opposed to sitting under a heat lamp." The basic burger costs about $2.

We asked 28,000 readers who bought any burger on their last visit to the restaurants below: On a scale of 1 to 10, from least delicious burger you've ever had to most, how would you rate that burger's taste? Differences of fewer than 0.5 points aren't meaningful.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ79FiVu3uQ[/YOUTUBE]

I like Red Robin and Cheeseburger in Paradise myself.

Five Guys is good, although a bit expensive.

I LOVE In-N-Out, but they're mainly on the West Coast

Checkers has great fries, okay burgers.

We used to call Fuddruckers "Ruddfuckers". I hate that place.

Yeah where the fawk is Red Robin? I love that place. Since In and Out is snobby and only on the West Coast I have no idea whether it is good or not. Love Fuddruckers and 5 Guys but honestly not sure why they would be competing with Mickey D's they are totally different animals.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

mmm, an in-n-out grilled cheese sounds so good right now.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Fuddruckers - I hate that overpriced fucking place. I don't understand the attraction. Red Robin's burgers are ok. I occasionally enjoy a Whataburger and Sonic. McDonald's can suck it! Occasionally, I will crave me a flame-broiled Whopper from Burger King... Dammit, now I want a burger!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

In n Out is OK.

I do like Fatburgers burgers although I get the kids size because the regular ones are like 1/2 lb and that's too much for me!

How about a black angus free roaming burger from Evos? If I was going to take a bite of a burger it would be from there. Where you pretty much know what you're getting
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

my dad used to love fudruckers and he'd take us there whenever we went to florida. i haven't been back since i was maybe 11 but i thought the burgers were really good back then.

i have always wanted to try in n' out but i've never been to a city in the US that had them. one day...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Maybe its just here but Five Guys is overrated. Cant stand the place. And while Red Robin is okay I much prefer the fries over the burger. Jakes is okay too but problem is you have to add a bunch of toppings to it. Charcoal Pit seems to taste like nothing nowadays. I wish there was a Sonic around here, or a Fuddruckers, or an In-N-Out. When were talking burgers theres only one real place I love and theyre hard to find.

Johnny Rockets.

They also have amazing burgers at the local bars but I dont think they count.

Where I live, I think we have MAYBE 3 of those restaurants on this list....not complaining btw. Odd though.
    Burger King/Wendy's/McDonalds..thats it.

I'll eat McD's in a pinch, but prefer the nicer chains.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I like Five Guys, although it's not as great as many people say. Johnny Rockets is ok, Cheeburger Cheeburger is pretty good. I like the Shake Shack but that's only NY and Florida.

Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian is awesome.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Best around here is Cookout and Back Yard Burgers. The BYB in our town was doing super buisiness, always full and booming, and then one day they just up and closed without warning. There's one close to work, but it's just not the same as having one to run out to when I feel like it.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I like Five Guys, although it's not as great as many people say. Johnny Rockets is ok, Cheeburger Cheeburger is pretty good. I like the Shake Shack but that's only NY and Florida.

Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian is awesome.
    I forgot Cheeburger Cheeburger. I love that place.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information