Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in pit roasting a pig

Default Adventures in pit roasting a pig

A couple of months ago, I decided to do something I'd always wanted to do...roast a pig by burying it in the ground. It was an awesome experience!

My son dug a pit 4 feet by 3 feet, and lined it with bricks. Since you need heat that is about 1 foot deep, I bought two cords of oak. The instructions Pit Cooking - How to cook in a hole in the ground, says it takes most of the day to burn wood down to what you need. HOWEVER, while we were in Chino buying the pig, my son called and said the wood was now ashes! Yikes, I saw dollar signs just floating away.

About buying the pig... this is not for the squeemish, truly! Friday morning, at Lizze's Lizze Custom Processing (Lizze Custom Processing Inc*) - Chino, California (CA) | Company Profile, they send you out back to select your live pig! It takes about an hour and a half to process so the best thing to do is go get some breakfast. Trust me, you do not want to hang out if you are plain city folks.

After a great breakfast of Indio tacos (cactus), rice, beans and freshly made potato chips with a melon cooler, we went back to pick up the pig. Uh, more squeemish detail.... You HAVE to go into the rendering plant to pick up your purchase. It is place where you have to watch them skin and then vacuum out the insides. No getting away from it. I have to say, we three women were very brave.

So we load up Bernice's SUV and head back to the LBC to Veronica's so we can get here large cooler to wash it in. After washing, we lay out, in this order, the plastic, the chicken wire, the wet burlap, the several layers of heavy duty foil. Then we coat it with Lawry's Seasoning Salt and then stuffed it with a ton of garlic cloves. Then wrap it up.

By this time, it was only my son and me and we had to use a dolly to get the pig to the ground pit. That was sooo hard and we really needed more people because I could hardly do my part.

So after we get it into the pit around 5 PM, we shovel the dirt on top of it and that was it. The next morning, my son checks and says maybe we need more coals on top. So I get 80 more pounds of charcoals to do it. All and all, it took 157 pounds of charcoal to cook it.

It came out of the ground at 2 PM Saturday. Thankfully, Floyd and Harry spent the day at the house so were there to help my son dig it up. Man, it was so hot (the pig) they had to let it rest for an hour and a half before unwrapping it. Harry came into the house and told me he had bad news, it wasn't any good. My knees grew weak and I was about to start screaming when I noticed he was eating a chunk. He had a good laugh and told me to taste. OMG, it was the very best piece of pork I'd ever eaten! Not greasy, seasoned just right and perfectly cooked.

The feast was set up in my driveway and even with 25 guests, each taking as much as they wanted, I still have four trays left over.

The complete menu was:

The pig
    Rice and almond salad
    Baked beans
    Awesome sandwich rolls from Babette Bakery
    Greens
    Squash
    Marieta Cookie cream dessert
    Potato Chip/Pecan Crumble
    Vanilla Ice Cream
    Sweet potato Pie
    Margaritas
    Three coolers of Heinekin, Tecate and Budlight
    Don's Red table wine
    An assortment of condiments that included Harry's mom's canned slaw, Slap your Mama Cajun seasoning and an assortment of mustards and barbecue sauces

It was quite an adventure but my curiosity and desire has been fulfilled. It was about a week's worth of work and it seemed as if I was at the store more than I was at home. If we do it again, it will be done as a committee!
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

That sounds sooo good. I love pigs done this way.

Do you have any pics?

You are way braver than I am-not picking out a piggie! But it does sound like great fun and I am glad it was worth all this!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

There is a bbq place here in town that cooks their pigs that way. You are right about how delicious it is! Glad it went well.

Thank you, everyone. I will post a few pictures tomorrow.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

My uncles and dad butcher a pig every year for the family reunion. They raise Berkshires which are really really good!

Some years we pit roast and sometimes we spit roast.

And great post! I don't get to go every summer and I miss it.

Umm-pictures? Hellloooo?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Here's something to tide us over

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0FPVTUlgx8[/YOUTUBE]

That looks a lot like my uncles setup. Awesome!

This is very complicated. I haven't figured out the slow cooker yet.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This is very complicated. I haven't figured out the slow cooker yet.
    Hon - Two words...... Yorkshire puddings....... lets walk before we can run, eh?

The Rice and almond salad sound scrummy! *runs off to google...*
    Free Charmed.

Picture here:
    A Common Street Peddler by Eboni: The Pig Roast

I tried to embed the photos into the post but Photobucket resizes them really too small to do any good.

Thank you so much for all the comments.

We roasted a ginormous pig at a family reunion about 10 years ago. It was delicious. My brothers, the barbecuing wonders that they are, took care of all that. I just sat back after dinner and rubbed my belly.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    We roasted a ginormous pig at a family reunion about 10 years ago. It was delicious. My brothers, the barbecuing wonders that they are, took care of all that. I just sat back after dinner and rubbed my belly.
    Smart woman. , very smart woman.

Great post eboni. I just started following your blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information