Thread: Any experienced muffin bakers around?

Default Any experienced muffin bakers around?

I have baked fantastic banana breads. Now I want to replace white flour with whole wheat flour as I made white flour muffins a couple of weeks ago.

The banana muffins were very good. Then I wanted to eliminate white sugar in the muffins, so I baked banana/blueberry whole wheat muffins. Decent muffins, moist with the melted blueberries inside - but not as flaky as before.

I know whole wheat flour (all purpose - not cake flour) is denser but I'd prefer not to cut it with white flour and I'd prefer no sugar at all. The fruits are really sweet enough.

Does anyone know if the less than flaky texture has to do with the chemistry of mixing the flour, sugar, baking soda and powder?

Tonight I want to bake apple/banana whole wheat muffins.

Try this, lovetoknow.com

Applesauce Banana Whole Wheat Muffins

I broke this recipe into two parts: the muffin and the topping. For the muffin, you will need:
    • 2 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 cup mashed bananas
    • 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 1/4 cup old fashion oatmeal (optional)
    • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
    1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
    2. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and sugar together in a bowl.
    3. In a separate bowl, mix the banana, applesauce, and oil.
    4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
    5. Spray your muffin pan with non-stick spray.
    6. Put enough batter to fill your muffing pan 3/4 of the way.
    7. If you like, you can sprinkle some topping on each muffin before baking.
    8. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
    For the topping:
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1. Mix together until thoroughly combined and sprinkle on each muffin before cooking.
    The high fiber content of the whole wheat flour usually will cause your breads and muffins to be rather dense. The addition of mashed banana and applesauce will add higher moisture content to your product and should counter the whole wheat’s heaviness. Applesauce banana whole wheat muffins are great with some butter or cream cheese and the topping adds a nice sweet crunch to the whole experience

Or Food Network:

Walnut Apple Muffins

Ingredients
    • 1 3/4 cups flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • Dash of salt
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1 cup applesauce
    • 1 apple, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
    • 1/3 cup canola oil
    • 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
    Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 cup muffin tin. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, sugar, applesauce, apple and oil. Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the walnuts. Divide the batter into the greased muffin tin. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

When I just saw that you replied, my first thought was...she's got to be kidding! That applesauce one looks terrific. Who's running out to get it for me?

I'm filing those. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    When I just saw that you replied, my first thought was...she's got to be kidding! That applesauce one looks terrific. Who's running out to get it for me?

I'm filing those. Thank you!
    My mom always used applesauce INSTEAD of oil in her cakes. Same amount. She liked the taste and moisture level more. Even in her dense chocolate Kahlua Cake.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm going to get some now. Actually, I make fresh applesauce with orange juice, so I could make that too. Nah, not for muffins.

I agree with applesauce. I use it to and it really makes them moist
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I agree as well! Every time I've used applesauce in muffin or loaf recipes, it's turned out beautifully. You can substitute 100% of the oil with unsweetened applesauce, and I reduce some of the sugar when I use it as well since it's naturally sweet.

Raisins and bananas add natural sweetness, too, so if you're adding those you can probably further cut the sugar - but they're not as "neutral" tasting, so they'll definitely impart their own flavour to the recipe.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Don't forget to ask us over,Chalet!

No, McJag, you wouldn't want my muffins.

I did go to the store late the other night because I really wanted that applesauce ingredient. I made my own, apples with some orange juice.

I made two batches, one with applesauce and the other without any sugar, thinking that the apples and bananas would be sweet enough. Wrong. Still flaky but flat tasting. Boring. I had company over on Saturday night and they liked the apples inside the muffins.

The applesauce is something I'll use again, but I still don't have the hang of this. I thought a homemade, sugarless, whole wheat with fruit muffin would be a fun thing to eat on the go in the morning. So much drama llama over a muffin!

Thread Information