Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver eats

Default Vancouver eats

I a saw $40 a Day last night and she did places in Vancouver and wondered if anyone from Vancouver has eaten there and are these places good?
    One was Sha-Lin Noodle House, Sweet Cherubim, and Death by Chocolate.
    Here some other places Granville Public Market, Sun Sui Wah, Stanley Park and Sophie's Cosmic Cafe.

Talking Re: Vancouver eats

I've eaten just about everywhere in Vancouver, except Sweet Cherubim. Sha-lin Noodle house is good. A cheaper, better alternative is Legendary Noodles on Main Street. They still make their own noodles, but it's smaller and less busy. Once a place gets well-known, it tends to get too busy and go downhill fast. I don't like death by chocolate - too rich, and kinda mass-produced desserts. Good coffee, though Sun Sui Wah has really good dim sum, but once again, super-busy all the time. It's pretty funny, cuz my bf is of chinese descent, they will always seat us before any lo-fan (whities), even if they were there before us! Sophie's Cosmic Cafe - once again, slightly overrated, because it's so busy. All weekend, pretty much no matter what the time of day, there is a line up there. A really cute restaurant, with lots of fun things to look at (old toys, lunchboxes, etc.), but I don't know if it's really worth the wait. I do tend to eat there when I'm super-hungover, so maybe that's the problem A really good place in Vancouver for burgers is Modern Burger. They only serve burgers and fries, along with milkshakes and floats, and they only take cash, but boy, are their burgers good! MMMMM, might have to go there this weekend!

Default Re: Vancouver eats

she gets the tips from the locals though, so i think the point is to just show that the pick was right. and to showcase the meals at the particular place. i wonder if restaurants pay to be on the show.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I went and had a milkshake at Cosmic cafe way back when I lived near UBC (I was house hunting with my roommate in Kits who went to UBC).

Sun Sui Wah is a good Chinese restaurant but when we went (me, hubby, my dad) we spent a lot of money there...I think it's rather on the pricy side. Yea their Dim Sum is yummy but there are other cheaper places that offer $2 a plate etc It was funny when we were there with my dad (he was visiting me from Japan for my uni grad). The restaurant charges you for a pot of tea (normally most Chinese restraunts don't) and my dad saw a lady with a thermos pouring the tea into it and was asking us "Do ppl in Canada bring thermos to restaurants?"

We had 2 Death By Chocolate locations here in downtown but they both seemed have gone down...one of them turned into a furniture store and the other one on Burrard I'm not sure if it's still there. There's still one on Broadway though.

Granville Island Market is really fun. I love all the buskers there. I've been suckered more than once into buying their CDs. There's a doggy biscuit bakery there called Woofles, you can buy your dog a waffle and other handmade treats.
    Last edited by moomies; March 8th, 2006 at 09:15 PM.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

There's a Death by Chocolate on Broadway and Fir I believe. My friends went there the other day, and apparently their service sucks, but I haven't been myself yet. I want to go so bad though! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMix
    I don't get the point of this show. She tips really poorly in order to make it under the $40 and she NEVER seems to dislike the food that she eats. So is she really helping anyone out?
    I still stick to my feelings on $40 a Day. She is only paying for one person which doesnt make sense to me. Most people dont travel alone, granted some do, but you have to figure if you are with another person its gonna be $80 a day or even higher if you have kids. And asking the locals is good but my luck Id get like 10 different "really good inexpesive" places. Major Confusion

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by misskris
    . i wonder if restaurants pay to be on the show.
    Course they do
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

this thread is so crazy. vancouver has a milion good places to eat, almost none of them cheap. i'm not going to give away my favorite places, except to say fresh ingredients will never lead you in the wrong direction. more later, I think...we're in the middle of a snowstorm here and I'm thinking of taking a "snow" day tomorrow. hehe. I deserve it, don't you think? disappointed students, well -- they get a day off, too.

SVZ

she's so fucking annoying

she has lettucegasms

"OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOD. i don't know what they did to this piece of raw lettuce i found on the floor but IT"S SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD"

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    this thread is so crazy. vancouver has a milion good places to eat, almost none of them cheap. i'm not going to give away my favorite places, except to say fresh ingredients will never lead you in the wrong direction. more later, I think...we're in the middle of a snowstorm here and I'm thinking of taking a "snow" day tomorrow. hehe. I deserve it, don't you think? disappointed students, well -- they get a day off, too.
    I can't believe it's gonna snow!!! It's cold and windy outside and I have to take my dog out for a poop soon. And I just heard about the rapist thing from my hubby so I'm scared...
    I'll be hard to drive up to Burnaby Mt if it really snows...yea you should take a snow day PB

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I am so annoyed by this woman.
    She smells so loudly.

*raises fist* what do you mean?

*ducks*

Something smells funny in here. Pacific did you use deoderant today ????
    (just kidding)

i use it every day. you guys should come to vancouver to eat. it's a fun place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information