Thread: 20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

Default 20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

20 Health Benefits of Turmeric

Turmeric is one of nature's most powerful healers. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Tumeric has been used for over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
    The medicinal properties of this spice have been slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer's disease.

Here are 20 reasons to add turmeric to your diet:
    1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
    2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
    3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
    4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
    5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
    6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
    7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
    8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
    9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
    10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
    11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
    12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
    13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a treatment for depression.
    14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
    15. Boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
    16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
    17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple myeloma.
    18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
    19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
    20. May help in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.

Turmeric can be taken in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500mg capsules.

Once you start using turmeric on a regular basis, it's fun to find new ways to use it in recipes. My favorite way to use it is to add a pinch of it to egg salad. It adds a nice flavor and gives the egg salad a rich yellow hue.

Contraindications: Turmeric should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis...-turmeric.html

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Neat *adds to shopping list*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Fabulous! Off to the market.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Why not just cook with it? Its fantastic!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I take tumeric supplements because it helps with a hereditary skin condition I have.. It helps so much with that, that if I have a flare up it is very mild.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    I take tumeric supplements because it helps with a hereditary skin condition I have.. It helps so much with that, that if I have a flare up it is very mild.
    How much do you take daily? This stuff sounds so great that even if only 1/4 is true, we should all take it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    How much do you take daily? This stuff sounds so great that even if only 1/4 is true, we should all take it.
    I take four capsules.. My cousin takes the capsules and drinks tea made with it, but her condition is more severe than mine.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Liver detoxifier!! WOOOOOHOOOO

^Lynnie, I thought the same thing!!!! Thanks for posting.. really interesting and great to know.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Over 20 years ago I worked with a young Indian woman whose father had been an Ayurvedic practitioner and she told me that turmeric was the staple of Indian medicine and she used it in all her cooking (she even wrote it down for me because I'd never heard of it - I'd just moved out of home and could barely cook toast). She retired about 2 years after that because my young colleague with a few strands of grey hair was actually a 62 year old grandmother, which made me think she might know what she's talking about when it comes to taking care of yourself. I cook a lot now and use it in everything - it's actually delicious!

Thread Information