Thread: How do you poach eggs?

Default How do you poach eggs?

Just for future reference. I mean poaching in the traditional way where you have a pan of water with vinegar in it. Boyf just attempted it and you should see the state of the saucepan

Just wondered whether there was a specific amount of vinegar you had to use?

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Default Re: How do you poach eggs?

The secret to poaching eggs is in the water temp. I'd bet your bf tried to add the eggs when the water was too cold. When poaching eggs you use a shallow pan, not much water (I use about an inch) and a spoonful of vinegar. When the water just starts to bubble you carefully slip the eggs into the water and watch as they go from translucent to opaque. Depending how hard you like them determines how long you cook them. Lift them out with a slotted spoon so you don't get water out with the eggs. No stirring!!

Thanks Undercover, I love how you get answers so quickly through this site!

The fool had a full pan of water and was told by a mate to turn the gas off as soon as it was boiling and slip an egg in. Poor lad was saying "This is how you poach an egg" until his face fell as he was left with a pan of murky water.

Oh he was also was stirring the water like a maniac before he slipped the egg in so I guess thats also a factor in the yucky scrambled mess.

Elite Member

I like to swirl the water before the egg goes in so it makes a whirlpool and slip the egg in really close to the water - keeps all the egg whites in a tight bunch if you can get the technique right.

A*O

Don't break the egg directly into the water - put it in a cup or beaker first and slide it in. I think your bf probably did just about everything wrong Tenaj, but give him a I Tried Hard badge anyway. I use a poacher that steams the eggs in individual little cups things over boiling water. You can also get special microwave egg poachers and I've done it by putting the egg into a teacup, carefully piercing the yoke to stop it exploding, cover with a saucer and microwave for about 20 seconds.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    I think your bf probably did just about everything wrong Tenaj, but give him a I Tried Hard badge anyway.
    Yeah I give him that, seeing as he cannot cook anything apart from cheese on toast!

My mum always used the special pan with cups that sit over boiling water that you mention. I will have to invest in one or I'll have to get him to try the microwave way if he can't master the vinegar/water in a pan way. Should save some washing up unless he manages to balls that one up too! Thanks

A*O

If you use the microwave you MUST cover the egg as they have a tendency to explode all over the place if you overcook them.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've never tried making poached eggs, now I must!! I'm sure I'll screw up the first coupla times.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Lil

^^What Gator said.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

On the airplane magazine the other day I saw a nifty machine that poaches and egg and makes toast the same time. It uses steam instead of a pan of water.

Gold Member

What is the purpose of the vinegar? I've always brought the water to a boil, sprinkle in a little salt and drop the egg in and wait till it floats to the top. When it gets there I use a slotted spoon and drop it on buttered toast.

There is something about using the salt, my dad tried poaching eggs years ago and it didn't work, they never rose and some stuck to the pot. He called his grandmother and first thing she asked was if he used salt.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

I think the vinegar in the water makes the eggs hold together better.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Thread Information