Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: World's 50 Best Restaurants List

Default World's 50 Best Restaurants List

(CNN) -- Danish cuisine reigns supreme, according to some of the planet's most prominent eaters.

S. Pellegrino's annual "World's 50 Best Restaurants" list was released on Monday at a celebrity-chef-studded event in London, England, marking the ninth edition of the much buzzed-about (and hotly debated) catalogue of the international culinary landscape.

The No. 1 spot goes to Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark. The restaurant, helmed by chef René Redzepi, ranked No. 3 in 2009. The Guardian newspaper's restaurant critic Jay Rayner -- better known to U.S. food fans as a judge on "Top Chef Masters" -- agrees with the judges' decision.

Writes Rayner on The Guardian's food blog, "Is that the right result? Allowing for the fact that I think the rankings are far less interesting than the list itself, I would say, yes."

"Redzepi, the 32-year-old chef at Noma, pursues a regional, seasonal agenda that is right on the cutting edge: if it isn't available in the Nordic region, he won't cook with it," he continued.

"The result is a very idiosyncratic style of food that speaks to concerns about the way a global food culture turns our eating experiences a uniform beige."

Noma's ascension to the top slot ends the reign of a culinary titan.

After four consecutive years ranked as the World's Best Restaurant, Spanish restaurant El Bulli takes a seat at No. 2.

However, that won't make it any easier to snag a table. Only 8,000 reservations are accepted every year, out of a reported million requests.

The dethroning of Catalonia's culinary king, Ferran Adrià, comes after his announcement of plans to close the Mecca of molecular gastronomy for two years in December 2011.

In 2014, the restaurant will reopen as a nonprofit foundation -- "a think tank of gastronomic creativity" for 20 to 25 young chefs.

Despite the second-place finish, Adrià was still awarded Restaurant Magazine's Chef of the Decade honor.

The illustrious list is compiled by The World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy -- an 806-member panel of the globe's most venerated chefs, food critics, restaurateurs and gourmands.

"The list creates tremendous debate -- and it's meant to," according to the World's 50 Best release.

Eight of the restaurants crowned this year -- Alinea in Chicago, Illinois; Daniel, Per Se, Le Bernardin, Momofuku Ssäm Bar, wd~50 and Eleven Madison Park in New York; and The French Laundry in Yountville, California -- are in the United States, this year's most honored country.

Of the remaining 42 top finishers, six are in France; Spain and Italy each have five. Here is the full list:

1) Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)
    2) El Bulli (Roses, Spain)
    3) The Fat Duck (Bray, England)
    4) El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)
    5) Mugaritz (Errenteria, Spain)
    6) Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)
    7) Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)
    8) Daniel (New York)
    9) Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)
    10) Per Se (New York)
    11) Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)
    12) La Colombe (Cape Town, South Africa)
    13) Pierre Gagnaire (Paris, France)
    14) L'Hotel de Ville - Philippe Rochat (Crissier, Switzerland)
    15) Le Bernardin (New York)
    16) L'Astrance (Paris, France)
    17) Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
    18) D.O.M. (São Paolo, Brazil)
    19) Oud Sluis (Sluis, Netherlands)
    20) Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
    21) Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
    22) Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
    23) Chef Dominique (Helsinki, Finland)
    24) Les Créations de Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
    25) Mathias Dahlgren (Stockholm, Sweden)
    26) Momofuku Ssäm Bar (New York)
    27) Quay Restaurant (Sydney, Australia)
    28) Iggy's (Singapore)
    29) L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (Paris, France)
    30) Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
    31) Le Quartier Français (Franschhoek, South Africa)
    32) The French Laundry (Yountville, California)
    33) Martin Berasategui (Lasarte-oria, Spain)
    34) Aqua (Bath, England)
    35) Combal Zero (Rivoli, Italy)
    36) Dal Pescatore (Montava, Italy)
    37) De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
    38) Tetsuya's (Sydney, Australia)
    39) Jaan Par Andre (Singapore)
    40) Il Canto (Siena, Italy)
    41) Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)
    42) Oaxen Krog (Oaxen, Sweden)
    43) St. John (London, England)
    44) La Maison Troisgros (Roanne, France)
    45) wd~50 (New York)
    46) Biko (Mexico City, Mexico)
    47) Die Schwarzwaldstube (Baiersbronn, Germany)
    48) Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)
    49) Hibiscus (London, England)
    50) Eleven Madison Park (New York)

World's 50 best restaurants list released - CNN.com
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

what is their criteria for being considered the best? I have restaurant phobia. I need high quailtiy healthy food prepared in a sterile environment. Even the most expensive resaurants would not be able to satisfy me. And watching Restaurant Nightmares doesnt help my situation.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

^^^
    how boring. you're missing out on amazing food. what do you do when you travel?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

wow per se beat out french laundry. did french laundry get worse??

^French Laundry has really dropped on this list. A few years ago it was #1 on the list.

......and Per Se is totally overpriced. The Prix Fixe is up to$ 275 per person.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Have you been to any of these places Witch? Chalet??

ANYONE?? I'd love to hear a review of any/all restaurants that posters have been to!

Of the NY ones I've been to Daniel, Per Se, Le Bernardin and WD50. All excellent, but Per Se's pricing is ridiculous.

I've never been to Eleven Madison Park or Momofuku- although I keep meaning to try Momofuku.

One of the best dining experiences in NY is the James Beard House. It never makes these type lists, but it's an incredible place for food. It's like a secret that no one wants to get out.

Good lord, the only one on the list I've been to is Le Bernadin and that's owned/run by a Frenchman.

Oops, sorry. I've also been to the Chateaubriand, which is incredible. I mean, there just aren't words to describe how amazing it was.

ETA: Hmmm, apparently the Chateaubriand on ths list is not the one I ate it, so i have no clue if this one is any good or not. I ate at whatever restaurant was in the Chateaubriand Hotel back in the late 80s.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

witchcurl, is le bernardin that good? i have two friends who went and were rather underwhelmed - they said the food was good but not exceptional and they were pretty pissed off when they brought them fendant with one of the courses - they're swiss and fendant is a cheap swiss white wine (basically, there aren't any fendant wines that are considered 'good') and they couldn't believe they would serve it at one of the best restaurants in the world...
    i've always wanted to go to daniel. and next time i'm in new york i will definitely try the james beard house.

i've been to hof van cleve in belgium, l'hôtel de ville - philippe rochat in crissier and pierre gagnaire in paris. it's definitely an experience. and it's even better if someone else is paying. all were exceptionally good but i think i liked hof van cleve best. philippe rochat is excellent, the 'heir' to girardet (considered the best chef in the world back then) who ran the restaurant before him. but i ate at girardet's restaurant when i was about 16 and it was the first time i ate in a place like that and maybe it's nostalgia or something but i remember liking it more than at rochat's.

i would kill for a chance to eat at el bulli. i've been to denis martin's restaurant in vevey and that's my only mollecular cuisine experience and it was delicious and totally insane - definitely an experiment in taste, texture, and unexpected surprises (some of the food looked like one thing and then would 'transform' in your mouth).
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    how boring. you're missing out on amazing food. what do you do when you travel?
    Ha, I dont feel like Im missing out on anything. I know Im a strange case. Im just not that in to food. We do eat out when we travel, just not much at home. I like being in the kitchen. Hubby and I are pretty strict about what we eat, whats in our food.
    And thats fine, just not my thing
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I think it would be my dream to take a round the world trip and eat at the world's best restaurants. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to travel (I prefer camping to spending ridiculous moneys for for hotel bed), but I will spend freely on good food.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    witchcurl, is le bernardin that good? i have two friends who went and were rather underwhelmed - they said the food was good but not exceptional and they were pretty pissed off when they brought them fendant with one of the courses - they're swiss and fendant is a cheap swiss white wine (basically, there aren't any fendant wines that are considered 'good') and they couldn't believe they would serve it at one of the best restaurants in the world...
    The food was excellent on the occasions I was there , but like any restaurant they can have an off night, maybe they did when your friends were there. As for the wine, it certainly was an odd choice. I would choose Daniel over Le Bernadin though, or John Georges- which I love.

I don't go to any of the places on this list frequently. Mr Witch and I are creatures of habit, we go to the same places over and over although we do try all the new restaurants when they open.

I would love to eat at El Bulli too. I've never been to a Denis Martin restaurant, I would love to try molecular cuisine.

What do the Danish eat?
    Rip Mom

Well here's the menu list from the number 1 Noma:

Dried scallops and watercress
    Biodynamic cereals and beech nut

Vintage potato and whey
    Lovage and Prästost

Salsify and truffle from Gotland
    Milk skin and rape seed oil

Pickled vegetables and bone marrow
    Herbs and bouillon

Ox cheek and endive
    Pickled pear and verbena

Celery and celeriac

Cooked barley and birch syrup
    Herbs and frozen milk

7 courses 995,-

Winemenu

2008 Bourgogne Aligoté
    Domaine Taupenot-Merme
    Bourgogne

2007 Montlouis Sur Loire ‘Clos Habert’
    Francois Chidaine
    Loire

2007 Saint-Aubin ‘En Vesvau’
    Catherine & Dominique Derain
    Bourgogne

2007 Riesling ‘Mandelgarten’
    Weingut Christmann
    Pfalz

2006 Pommard
    Fanny Sabre
    Bourgogne

2009 Moscato d’Asti
    Alexandra Bera
    Piemonte

2009 Coteaux du Layon
    Châteaux de Passavent
    Loire

7 glasses 895,-

Juicemenu 395,-

Lunch at Noma

Razor clam and parsley
    Dill and mussel juice

Vintage potato and whey
    Lovage and Prästost

Ox cheek and endive
    Pickled pear and verbena

Carrots
    Buttermilk and anis

DKK 595,-

Starters

Salsify and milk skin
    Truffle from Gotland

Langoustine and seawater
    Parsley and rye

Chestnuts and bleak roe
    Walnuts and cress shoots

Main courses

Musk ox and smoked marrow
    Apple and beetroot

Pike perch and unripe elderberries
    Cabbage stem and watercress

Small potatoes and sautéed lobster
    Lovage and whey

Cheese and desserts

Selection of Nordic cheeses

“Øllebrød” and frothed milk
    Skyr and toasted rye kernels

Beetroot and hip rose
    Truffle

The snowman from Jukkasjärvi
    Cloudberries and wild thyme

Choose 3 courses, starter, maincourse, and cheese or dessert
    from the selection above

Menu price DKK 950
    With lobster as maincourse, menu price DKK 1250

^^A lot of that sounds disgusting. I'm not much into fancy overpriced food so I would most likely not eat at any of these places. It's just not my thing.
    Alysheba likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information