Thread: Teacher eats school lunch every day and blogs about it

Default Teacher eats school lunch every day and blogs about it

Fed Up With Lunch: The School Lunch Project

Some of the entries are quite interesting. And frightening.

Silver Member

Couldn't spend much time at the site, I got sick to my stomach.

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

What an awesome teacher! That's a great blog!
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

Great teacher...and looking through the blog, I now remember why I always brought my lunch from home.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

That was pretty interesting. I liked her tone: just casual and straight forward.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

It makes me want to beat my head on my desk. The food being served in school cafeterias is fucking horrid. I pack my son's lunch for him but I am dreading the day he goes to regular school and there is THAT food. It bothers me even more that there are children on free lunch programs that are forced to eat the shit served. Ugh, I fucking hate Aramark.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Yeah, I was on reduced lunch in school and we had basically some greasy ass tacos, crusty fries, a huge bean and cheese burrito, salty oily pizza, stale greasy Chinese food. That was about it.

I never ate at a cafeteria in any school.. i always had to make my own lunch and fill my thermos with good stuff.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Our school system serves the same menu in all the schools. Elementary schools all have the same thing on Tuesday May 25. I really wish they would have a separate budget for each school and let the parents help choose the menus.

Is it that much more expensive to serve baby carrots, yogurt, fruit, and nuts? Or a roast beef/turkey deli sandwich on whole wheat or rye bread? Or homemade chicken noodle soup or chili? Or pasta salad with some veggies? Or spaghetti marinara?

We have absolute utter crap food full of preservatives served at our school. There are no healthy a la carte options.

I pack my son's lunch every day. On days where I'm in a hurry I've tried to give him money to buy lunch and he fights with me and tells me he'll take whatever from home, even cereal, to keep from having to eat the cafeteria stuff.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    Yeah, I was on reduced lunch in school and we had basically some greasy ass tacos, crusty fries, a huge bean and cheese burrito, salty oily pizza, stale greasy Chinese food. That was about it.
    Totally, it fucking sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I never ate at a cafeteria in any school.. i always had to make my own lunch and fill my thermos with good stuff.
    What kind of good stuff was in your thermos?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Ugh.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Elite Member

What kind of good stuff was in your thermos?
    Yeah, I can always use some new ideas.

I remember having the same crap from the cafeteria when I was growing up in the 80's/early 90's. The burritos, greasy pizza, sad tater tots, pathetic-looking "veggies" that nobody ate. It hasn't changed. Back then, my attitude was much like the teacher's, I had no choice (well when I was on free/reduced lunch, it was just cheaper) and I was hungry so down it went. I rarely thought about how gross it was. But geez, seeing it now as an adult I am thoroughly revolted. Nobody should be eating that crap, much less growing kids.

Our elementary school didn't have a cafeteria at all. Pizza day every Wednesday if you pre-ordered it, but otherwise, all the kids had to bring a lunch from home or go home at lunch to eat. If someone forgot their lunch an older student or aide would go around to the classrooms asking if anyone had something they were willing to share, and that kid usually ended up with an awesome lunch!

Our high school didn't exactly serve healthy options, but it wasn't at all nasty like the stuff pictured on this blog. Chicken burgers, fries, poutine, pizza, cold cereal, beverages from the cooler were pretty much the fare. But it always looked fresh and not like mutant food.

I don't see why it would be so hard to just have a salad bar, plus two hot dish choices a day. In my experience kids lvoe eating from salad bars and tend to actually choose to pile a lot more healthy stuff on their plates than they might otherwise because of the smörgåsbord feel to it. I mean, I get that it's a big racket controlled by one or two corporations (Aramark and Chartwell's here), so I understand why this happens. But individual schools or districts could surely change it if they wanted to? I bet a lot of parents would even be willing to subsidize it for a modest fee, with the fee waived for lower-income families. Why not at least give them a vote?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information