Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good ideas for adding lentils to recipes (like stews, soups, casseroles)???

Default Any good ideas for adding lentils to recipes (like stews, soups, casseroles)???

they are cheap and filling and I have a ton of them from when my roommate still lived here and I need to start eating them. I just made a vegetable soup and threw some in and they seem to have really helped fill it out. Any ideas?

Default Re: Any good ideas for adding lentils to recipes (like stews, soups, casseroles)???

I use lentils in all kinds of soups and stews. Don't use too many unless you are making lentil soup as they do tend to expand quite a bit. I'm going to dig up a recipe a chef pal gave me for lentil soup. She used French green lentils, but I think anything would do. I also have a recipe posted here for a soup that calls for lentils. I'll bump it up. They're really good for you, too.

A*O

Default Re: Any good ideas for adding lentils to recipes (like stews, soups, casseroles)???

The answer is indian dhal, darl. Google for THOUSANDS of recipes. I also have a recipe for lentil 'pastry' that you can use to make all kinds of quiches if you are interested?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

if you take lentils, chickpeas, an egg, mix with some herbs, some chilli (sweet chilli maybe or even some mild spicey salsa) carrots, peas, some bread cumbs, onion, then blend it (you may need to add some water if it ends up a little dry). Hey presto! instant vegetarian burger patties.

So weird - I've been pondering the same thing. I've got a bag of orange/red lentils and don't really have a clue what to do with them.
    I had dahl the other day with the take away curry I had! Quite bland though. I'll look up some recipes...

Elite Member

if you add some herbs to a lentil mix, I dont see why you cant use them as an alternative to rice or couscus.

Quote Originally Posted by ahtaste777
    So weird - I've been pondering the same thing. I've got a bag of orange/red lentils and don't really have a clue what to do with them.
    I had dahl the other day with the take away curry I had! Quite bland though. I'll look up some recipes...
    I have alot of those too! I love the color but they lose alot of it when cooking. I have put some in with a bit of water and nuked them on high for about 30 seconds or so(that way they are not quite so hard, kind of crunchy/chewy/nutty) and still have the bright color and have used them on salads or sprinkled on things for color. I wish there was a way to cook them and keep that bright color.

Zee

I cook lentils in the crock pot with brown rice and swiss cheese. Very filling and tasty.

Might have to make a batch before the end of winter.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Can I get some details on that?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Lentil cakes are awesome!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup dried lentils
    1/2 yellow onion, diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, diced
    1/2 rib celery, chopped
    1 Tbsp. olive oil
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
    2 cups cooked rice
    Salt, to taste
    1 cup ground bread crumbs or flour

Place the lentils in a large pot and submerge, adding an additional 2 inches of water. Boil for 20 minutes, or until tender. Sauté the onion, pepper, and celery in the olive oil until the onions are slightly browned.
    In a medium bowl, combine the lentils, vegetable sauté, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, parsley, rice, and salt, then mash slightly. Form into small patties. Roll in the ground bread crumbs or flour, and refrigerate while preparing the sauce. When the sauce is done, pan-fry each patty until nice and brown.

and they can make a yummy taco filling..

INGREDIENTS
    1 C cooked lentils
    1/4 of a large red onion, chopped
    1/2 of a large green pepper, chopped
    1 sm-med zucchini finely chopped
    1 large carrot, chopped
    1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
    1/2 C of your favorite salsa (chunky versions work best)
    1 TBSP tomato paste
    1/3-1/2 C of chicken stock
    1 tsp of chili powder
    1 tsp of garlic powder
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Pinch of red pepper flakes (the hotter, the larger the amount)
    1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
    1/2 TBSP olive oil

In a large skillet with high sides, add oil and heat over medium heat. When the oil is ready, add in the onions, carrot, green pepper, and jalapeno. Stir so everything is covered with oil, then add all the spices. Stir again to make sure everything is coated. Allow to sautee until the onions are soft and the carrot just begins to soften. Then add in the zucchini and stir again. Continue to sautee for about another 3-5 minutes or until the zucchini starts to soften a bit. Add in the tomato paste and salsa. Stir and cook for a few minutes, about 2, allowing the tomato paste to thicken the salsa and incorporate into the veggies. Then add the chicken stock, starting with 1/3 of a cup. If the mixture seems a bit too thick, add in more chicken stock a tablespoon at a time. You want this mixture to be thick but also saucy. If it’s too thin, it won’t stay in the taco shells. Once the stock is added, then add in the lentils. Cook for another 3 minutes or so until the mixture is at a simmer. Turn off heat and spoon mixture into taco shells. Serve warm, makes plenty for leftover meals. Freezes well.

.. and lentil stuffed peppers are pretty good, too..

Mediterranean Inspired Lentil Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
    1 cup of lentils (I used plain old brown lentils, but you can use any lentils you have on hand)
    4 Bell Peppers
    1 onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 stalk of celery, cut into small pieces
    1 small carrot , cut into small pieces
    1 small zucchini, cut into small pieces
    2 large tomatoes or 1 14 oz can of tomatoes
    2 cups or more spinach chopped or any other leafy green
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon rosemary
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    half a lemon
    Salt and Pepper to taste

For the Lemon Panko Topping
    1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
    2 teaspoons lemon zest
    1/4 teaspoon thyme
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley

In a saucepan add the lentils and about 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. When it is boiling bring the heat down to a simmer. Simmer the lentils for 15 minutes, you don’t want them to go mushy so keep an eye on them. They should still retain their shape. After 15 minutes, drain the lentils and set them aside.

Meanwhile, cut 4 bell peppers in half, take the seeds out but leave the stem intact. Bring a pot of water to a boil. After the water is up to a boil, drop the peppers in the water and blanch them for 3-5 minutes. Immediately add them to a bowl of ice water.

Preheat oven to 375.

In a food processor, pulse the two tomatoes until they are chunky and their juices release. (Skip this step if you are using canned tomatoes)

Now time for the filling! Heat a skillet over medium heat with two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onions, carrots and celery and saute for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Now, add the zucchini or any other vegetable you are using. Saute the zucchini for about 2 minutes. Now add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, and herbs. At this time season with salt and pepper. Cook the mixture for a few minutes. Now add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the lentils and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the parsley and lemon juice. Re-season if necessary.

Lightly oil a casserole dish. Place the peppers in the casserole dish. Now stuff them with the lentil mixture genoursly. Cover them with tin foil and bake them for 25-30 minutes. After 25-30 minutes take the tin foil out and sprinkle the peppers with the topping. Bake uncovered for another 15 minutes until the top is golden brown. That’s it! Let cool for a couple of minutes and serve with plenty of lemon slices!

For the Lemon Panko Topping:
    Heat a small pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the panko bread crumbs and thyme, cook for a few minutes until the panko bread crumbs are well coated. Now add the lemon zest and parsley, Season with salt and pepper. That’s it!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

You're a vegetarian, right Penny? Please post some good veggie recipes like this, particularly using things like lentils, black beans, etc. I'm in a big bean phase, much to the dismay of mr. butt. The lentil burger thing looks good. I*m trying it this week.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

How did the lentil burger turn out, butt???

Martha Stewart has an amazing lentil soup recipe. I've made it many times and it always turns out fabulous.

Yum!
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

I use a rice cooker, and when I make rice I toss a lot of lentils in. They cook at the same rate as the rice and blend perfectly. Easy way to incorporate them.

Those lentil cakes look incredible.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I miss Soj.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information