Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you really have food in your refrigerator?

Default Do you really have food in your refrigerator?

If someone is invited to your house, can you feed them? Really?

Offer them coffee or tea with sugar, lemon, honey, milk? Can you offer them fruit or fix a quick snack? Can you pull together a quick and small meal?

This has nothing to do with the economy or economizing, nor having steak or expensive foods to feed others than yourself or family. It's mostly an observation that people just don't have a variety of foods in their refrigerator more than two days per week.

I never come empty handed (even for a quick hello visit), but I find myself bringing coffee, muffins or croissants just in case I might get hungry.

A*O

I think people eat out or grab take-away so much now they only keep milk and/or beer in the fridge. I know a woman who moved to a brand new apartment a year ago and she has NEVER used the oven or cooktop. She uses the dishwasher once a week for mugs, glasses and teaspoons.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I can and do! I have 2 refigerators (kept the old side by side in the garage, when I got my new freezer at bottom,French door). Keep both stocked.
    We have coffee everyday & cream,sugar,Splenda. I keep a bowl of lemons. 2 kinds of honey. Lovely tea cups-name your color.
    I keep a variety of frozen berries & fruits. Ice cream. Cool Whip. Pound cake & coffee cake. I can do a trifle in minutes. In my giant champagne glass!
    I have turkey sausage, eggs, different kinds of beans for a cassolet.
    Keep frozen pie crusts & am ready for an omelet if needed. Keep frozen buttermilk biscuits. Frozen sausage patties, both real & veggie. Always, good bread,types of cheese & tomato soup on hand.
    Wide variety of soft drinks & juices. Iced tea is my fav,of course
    I can make anything from a Quiche to a pecan pie in minutes.
    My Mother was a Southern hostess & finally I have got my act together! I love spur of the moment entertaining.
    Here is what I finally figured out: if you are stressed out by entertaining, you are not entertaining enough! Step it up.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's weird, but when I was in college and had my own place I was pretty much always ready for anything and anyone to stop by. Full fridge of fruits & veggies, various snack foods, and always had some main dish stuff in the fridge or freezer. I also always had at least some kind of pop, cold water bottles, and cold beer.

My family is not the same at all. There is never any food in the house, my mom is queen of take out. When I bring people over I have water to offer, that's it. I have to go out and buy special any time I want to have anyone over.

We have a lot on hand for entertaining and our fridge is always stocked just in case. We don't eat out at all except for an occasional date night/nice restaurant type of thing, we hate fast food and we like to try to eat healthy. So yes, I could whip up a nice sandwich, omelette, salad, or we have plenty of cheese and crackers, berries, and veggies with hummus. I don't like being unprepared just in case.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I forgot to add that since I started watching Food Network, I alo keep a glass full of flat leaf or curly leaf parsley. In water. My BIL was shocked when he looked in the refrigerator & called out "Look! She has a plant in here!" Every simple thing I fix is now decorated to hell & back. Presentation,you know.
    I got sick of eating out or take out-not healthy or even safe. I am having fun with this!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I could probably put together a meal for unexpected dinner guests from stuff
    in our freezer. We always have rice and potatoes (we're not pasta fans), plenty
    of vegetables and frozen shrimps in all sizes.
    We're not so good at snacks, although I do have some stuff that lasts for
    years and that we like, so if the guests like it too, we're set on that as well.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I absolutely have a full fridge, two freezers, and pantry. I've got a teen boy and a tween boy at home.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I shop old school style, and buy meat and veggies the day of. I keep fruit, cheese, and things like that around, but I'd have to pop out to the store for meat or fish.

I never freeze meat, poultry or fish. I will not eat a piece of meat that's been frozen.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Like McJag, I have two refrigerators, the old one being in the garage. That's stocked with beer, pop, my favorite flavored waters, miscellaneous frozen foods that I find at the store and load up on. The new fridge in the kitchen has food, wine, condiments and the freezer is full up with veggies, pasta, sausages and a few fast food thingies. C'mon over!

We always have fresh fruit and veg handy. We also keep cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, containers of cooked pasta, rice, oatmeal and other ends and bits that can be quickly tossed together. The freezer is full of cooked veggies like sweet potato, peas, carrots; as well as containers of frozen soup stock (chicken and beef), stews, pasta sauce, casserole and other home made goodness prepared in advance.

All this because our twins are on solids now and we need lots of fresh, healthy foods on hand for their meals. We used to eat out quite often, but we are eat at home now because I want to know what is going into my kids' meals. And I'm trying to impress good eating habits on them by eating meals together at the table as a family (something we rarely did pre-kids.)

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I can and do! I have 2 refigerators (kept the old side by side in the garage, when I got my new freezer at bottom,French door). Keep both stocked.
    We have coffee everyday & cream,sugar,Splenda. I keep a bowl of lemons. 2 kinds of honey. Lovely tea cups-name your color.
    I keep a variety of frozen berries & fruits. Ice cream. Cool Whip. Pound cake & coffee cake. I can do a trifle in minutes. In my giant champagne glass!
    I have turkey sausage, eggs, different kinds of beans for a cassolet.
    Keep frozen pie crusts & am ready for an omelet if needed. Keep frozen buttermilk biscuits. Frozen sausage patties, both real & veggie. Always, good bread,types of cheese & tomato soup on hand.
    Wide variety of soft drinks & juices. Iced tea is my fav,of course
    I can make anything from a Quiche to a pecan pie in minutes.
    My Mother was a Southern hostess & finally I have got my act together! I love spur of the moment entertaining.
    Here is what I finally figured out: if you are stressed out by entertaining, you are not entertaining enough! Step it up.
    Yep, I can feed an army at any given time. People don't come to my house full... they know better! Last Saturday, we had company and within 3 hours, I'd cooked a meat loaf, mashed potatoes, cornbread, turnip greens and red beans and rice.... what wasn't gobbled down is still being munched on - I keep my fridge at a high setting and everything I put in there is pretty much frozen. Plus, when my brother is at home, he knows the fridge is stocked and he eats the leftovers for lunches while he's working at the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I absolutely have a full fridge, two freezers, and pantry. I've got a teen boy and a tween boy at home.
    Exactly. I am never allowed to run out of Ball-Park beef franks or peanut butter crackers. When you've got growing boys, you have to have food! And during the holidays, I fill up my fridge and then fill up my brother's fridge and freezers.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I have some tea and could whip up a chicken salad sandwich if I needed to. Nothing fancy. My fridge is pretty bare all the time. I haven't had a full fridge in about 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I shop old school style, and buy meat and veggies the day of. I keep fruit, cheese, and things like that around, but I'd have to pop out to the store for meat or fish.

I never freeze meat, poultry or fish. I will not eat a piece of meat that's been frozen.
    yeah that's pretty much how i do it. i do freeze soup though. i'll make a ton of it and then freeze some and it comes in handy when i'm too lazy to cook.

in the fridge, i usually have milk, coffee, butter, yogurt, a big jar of tahina that keeps forever. sometimes fruit and veggies but sometimes there isn't much in there for days.
    in the cabinets i usually keep tuna and canned chick peas, etc. the chick peas are great because as long as i have lemon and garlic and tahina, i can whip up some hummus and make a tasty snack.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sputnik is never going to invite me over. I won’t be worth the aggravation when she has to take me to the emergency room for severe food allergies.

Chick peas, tahina, hummus – omg

Might as well be cooking lentil soup when I walk in the door to seal my fate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information