Thread: Shirataki Noodles

Default Shirataki Noodles

Have just discovered these noodles and wondered if anyone else has ever tried them, or anything like them. Apparently there are numerous 'non pasta' noodles out there that I was completely unaware of. Low calorie (some NO calorie), gluten and soy free noodles!

What are Shirataki Noodles?
    Shirataki (shee-rah-TAH-kee) noodles are thin, low carb, chewy, and translucent traditional Japanese noodles. They are also sometimes called konnyaku noodles. Shirataki noodles are thinner than wheat noodles, do not break as easily, and have a different texture. They are mostly composed of a dietary fiber called glucomannan and contain very few calories and carbohydrates (sometimes even zero). They do not have much flavor by themselves, but absorb flavors well from other ingredients you can combine them with. Shirataki noodles are made from Konjac flour, which comes from the roots of the yam-like Konjac plant grown in Japan and China.

Shirataki noodles are packaged "wet", that is, you purchase them pre-packaged in liquid, and they are ready-to-eat out of the package. You can prepare them by boiling them briefly or running them under hot water, then combining them with other dishes, or adding things like tofu, garlic, spinach, or soy sauce to enhance the flavor.

Shirataki Noodles, Glucomannan, and Weight Loss - What are shirataki noodles?

fgg

i've eaten them but they have to be covered in some sauce. the smell is horrendous. make sure you rinse them well and pat them dry.

^^Yea, I am still playing around w/the preparation, but have really liked them overall. I did some searching around on the net and found a few other varities that I may try to find as well. I just love that there are alternatives to carb loaded pasta.....

I hate them! They have the taste and texture of rubberbands. I'll stick with Dreamfield's if I want pasta and want to be low carb. Ick!

Hmmm, I am intrigued...I may try them. Lynnie, how have you prepared them?
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

fgg

you have to get the spaghetti ones and not the fettucine style.

I love them, but you have to make them in a flavorful sauce and rinse them off so well. I make awesome pad thai with them.

Maybe I had a bad batch - these things made me gag. I guess everyone's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Hmmm, I am intrigued...I may try them. Lynnie, how have you prepared them?
    I have bought the really skinny noodle & fettucine. I have put the skinny noodles in a big pot of Hot & Sour Soup I made, basically for extra protein and substance. Just threw em in (after rinsing them thoroughly) and while they do not have the same consistancy as pasta, it was good and what I was looking for.

I just the fettucine over the weekend. I rinsed the noodles (with hot water, for some reason it seems to help that its hot) and sauteed them w/garlic, fresh spinach, roasted red peppers, and some spices. It was really quite good. I am going to make it again, probably tomorrow, maybe play w/the ingredients somewhat.

I plan on buying more this week and seeing what else I can cook up. I really like these. And am going to trek out to the Health Food store also for even more versions....

Ohhhh, yum...this is something I must try in my latest 'vegan experiment'...
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Silver Member

Oh, I just read something about these today when I was looking for low-cal recipes. Nice to hear personal experience.
    I'm gonna try these!

Bronze Member

I loves me some shirataki!

The tofu shirataki ones pictured are a little easier to chew than the 0-calorie Japanese yam noodles, and have a little better flavor. I would definitely recommend the spaghetti or angel hair over the thicker ones.

If you expecting a pasta equivalent, you'll be disappointed. They are different, but as long as you know that, they are really good, especially when prepared with other yummy ingredients! They are awesome in recipes too. Like as a filler in soups, latkes, kugels, etc. The only thing that sucks is the price...

Thread Information