Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Bridal Shower Food

Default Ideas for Bridal Shower Food

So, I'm planning my sister's bridal shower since I'm her MOH, and I'm starting to put together some ideas. I spoke with her about what she's looking for, and she indicated she wanted something very traditional since her wedding is going to be very non-traditional (costumed Halloween wedding, I think she wants to give our family's older generation something so they aren't as appalled, lol). She specifically mentioned a tea party, so that's what I'm going with (right up your alley, McJag!).

I THINK I've found the place to have it (have to check dates and verify the rental cost), I've begun to enlist some women we know to help out with things like decorating and actual assembly, but I'm also in the idea gathering stage too.

We are probably going to end up doing all of the catering ourselves due to the cost, so what I'm looking for are recipes and ideas for what food to serve (and really any other general ideas anyone may have).

I think the favor is going to be the actual tea cups we use at the party since there is a full kitchen in the space where we can wash them before people leave, but I'm totally open to any suggestions.

Right now the only "game" I have planned is asking each guest to bring a small card with their wishes or tips for my sister, we'll share them at the shower and then I'll compile them into a scrapbook or something as a gift for her.

We also already have an activity planned, we are going to make her chupah (the tent Jews get married under, you either rent or use your own, so we are going to make hers) at the bridal shower, and this will probably eat up a good chunk of the time.

Thanks everyone!

I'm sure McJag will be here in a minute & get you all set up

Now that I think about it, I've been a bridesmaid 12 times and I think we had chicken salad at every bridesmaids' luncheon. Seems like showers always have little sandwiches and dips and such.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I'm co-hosting one of these dealios soon, so it's on my mind. Considering she wants something traditional, you could go with the whole British high tea theme, with an assortment of scones and finger sandwiches. Just from doing a google search based on that theme, some of the sandwiches suggested are goat cheese and watercress, cucumber/mint/cream cheese (very Brit), asparagus and prosciutto, egg salad, tuna, chicken salad, smoked salmon and green onion or cream cheese, etc. Here's a link to exactly this sort of shower:
    A Bridal Shower Tea Party

There are more menu ideas there, such as chocolate covered strawberries, etc. It seems like it would be doable to provide these types of food yourselves (assuming you can probably buy scones and perhaps the desserts if you wish from a bakery), if the costs are split among several people.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

If you're feeling really crazy....
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I love it that you are making the chupah at the shower!

Chocolate covered straberries are a great idea from manx. I recently made them where they look like they are in tuxedos. It took a few to get it right but then they came out great and looked fabulous on the tray. Chocolate dipped Tuxedo & Wedding Dress Strawberries | My Sweet and Saucy I didn't do the wedding dress berries but they are pretty. The dollar store near me has a ton of stuff for wedding themes right now. It is much of the same stuff found in party supply stores but much cheaper. Another dessert I like at wedding showers are heart shaped linzer cookies.

The menu for a tea party is almost always little sandwiches. You can use a cookie cutter to make the bread heart shaped. There's lots out right now since Valentine's Day is around the corner. Here is a website with lots of tea sandwich ideas. Sandwich Recipes, Favorite Sandwich Recipes, Tea Sandwich Recipes, Finger Sandwich Recipes

I had high tea at the Prince of Wales in Niagara on the Lake, Canada, once. It was wonderful. If I remember correctly there were ham cheese sandwiches (maybe not ham for a Jewish party) egg salad, salmon pinwheels and of course cucumber sandwiches. Then there were plates of cheeses, grapes and sliced pears. Of course there were lots of scones with butter and clotted cream and other sweets.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I haven't been to a bridal shower in years where there wasn't Pineapple Cream Cheese sandwiches cut into fingers without crusts. They are delicious!

Also, there's always a fruit/vegetable tray with dip, homemade powdered sugar wedding cookies, Ginger Ale/Pineapple Juice/Orange Juice or Ginger Ale and sherbert in a punch bowl, a bowl of cashews, and usually there's either a decorated cake or cupcakes. All of it is fairly simple except the cake is usually professionally made, but you could just as easily get someone who likes to bake to do it.

Everything looks good in a crystal bowl or silver platter.

Chalet is another good one for this stuff!

If you need a unique gift, let me know. I have a good one. Yes, it involves booze. Shocking.

Good luck!

Oh,lawd! I am SO happy about this. I adore your idea of tea cup favors-the prettier the better. Or if you have to go with plain white, at least have big circles of pastel netting cut & ribbons. After you wash,dry,quickly wrap! Use a bowl for the pattern.
    Now! Cucumber sandwiches. Asparagus sandwiches (recipe to follow) Petite Fours are nice,but messy to make. Can you buy these?
    You also do tea loaf. Just get any bread mix (banana,gingerbread with raisins,etc) You will need 2 empty soup cans,washed. Butter insides. Fill 2/3 full. Bake at 375 for 55 minutes. When cakes are quite cool, open other end and gently press cake through. Slice pretty thin. Makes lovely circles. Paper doilies are a must.
    Yes-look at dollar store. I just saw some really pretty trays,cake plates. Looks just like cut glass!
    It might also be a good idea to furnish guests with pretty recipe cards and ask them to write their favorite easy recipe & bring with them.
    This is my sister's recipe. Do not skimp-use real butter!
    Asparagus Sandwiches
    4 hard boiled eggs
    8 oz cream cheese
    1 can asparagus,drained.
    Mash together. Trim custs off bread. Butter both sides and add filling. Next, pat bread in grated parmesan cheese. Both sides. Put in 350 degree oven until brown. Sprinkle with paprika. Extremely posh toasted cheese!
    Also,fresh flowers. Get extra for sandwich plate decor. Use pretty cake plates with different heights if you can. Play soft wedding-y music in backgound.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Lobelia-Guess I'll have to include a chicken salad in some way then Chips/veggies and dip is easy enough, and yet I hadn't thought of it, so thanks.

Manx- Thanks for that link, that's not one of the ones I found through my google search. I'm fairly certain I'll be doing that cucumber/mint sandwich since almost everything I've seen includes some variation on it. I also like the smoked salmon idea because of the whole Jewish thing, it'll be a lox sandwich Good luck on the shower you're planning!

Angelais-That's a hilarious cake, but something tells me it might defeat the purpose of the traditional party to appease the grandmas, lol. Now her bachelorette party.....

Sluce- Great idea about the cookie cutter, I'm gonna pick some up over the next couple weeks. Thanks for that chocolate covered strawberries link, they look amazing!

Laurent- The pineapple sandwiches sound good, will definitely look into those. I think I may be asking my aunt's mother in law (who is invited) to make the cake. She makes an amazing pistachio cake that my sister loves. Hopefully she will be willing to.

Lynnie- Unique gift? I'm intrigued, and I'd love to know!

McJag- I knew you'd be all over this idea, lol. Thanks for both of those recipes, I'll almost certainly use that asparagus one. Will definitely be poking around at the dollar stores for various serving items.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, it's definitely been a big help for organizing my thoughts.

Mints! You must have a dish of pastel mints & those pastel coated almonds are nice,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm sorta looking around at different teacups I can order, and these are looking pretty good b/c they're her wedding colors

Oh,yes! I think that is the cutest idea.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    It might also be a good idea to furnish guests with pretty recipe cards and ask them to write their favorite easy recipe & bring with them.
    Yes, brilliant idea - this is always a hit! The older women usually bring the BEST recipes that have been in their family for years and they are such treasures. My mom started collecting recipes when she got engaged and 40 years later she has a HUGE collection. There's nothing she could ever need to make that she doesn't have a tested recipe for.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Laurent- The pineapple sandwiches sound good, will definitely look into those. I think I may be asking my aunt's mother in law (who is invited) to make the cake. She makes an amazing pistachio cake that my sister loves. Hopefully she will be willing to.
    I'll call my mother when I get home and ask her exactly what's in it and post it. I think it's just pineapple and cream cheese mixed together, but whenever I think that there's usually some secret ingredient that makes the whole thing come together. It's almost always a crowd pleaser!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Mints! You must have a dish of pastel mints & those pastel coated almonds are nice,too.
    Yes, those are always a must-have. I almost couldn't find them once, and got anxious.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Yes, those are always a must-have. I almost couldn't find them once, and got anxious.
    That would be cause for a hissy fit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information