Thread: Healthy shakes

Default Healthy shakes

my new thing

i just made this: 2 oranges, 1\2 cup of raisins, 3 dried date fruits (plam), 8-10 walnuts and two glasses of organic soy milk. YUMMY!

does anyone have more healthy shakes recipes?

This one:
    Wake-Up Smoothie

from eatingwell.com
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have a smoothie every single day. I use alot of different juices but I always use Stoneyfield vanilla probiotic yogurt... frozen tropical fruit, pineapple/mango juice, flax seed and psyillium husks and wheat germ.

I also like frozen strawberries with orange juice and a banana with yogurt flax seed, wheat germ, psyllium husks. I havent been sick in 3 years, I think I owe it to that and B12 and I take omega 3 and coQ10 also
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Throw some spinach, cabbage and/or cucumbers into those drinks to sneak more vegetables into your diet. Color aside, you'll never know they're in there by taste.
    Last edited by qwerty; January 16th, 2010 at 08:37 PM.

I pass on the green drinks...I get plenty of veggies
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I have a smoothie every single day. I use alot of different juices but I always use Stoneyfield vanilla probiotic yogurt... frozen tropical fruit, pineapple/mango juice, flax seed and psyillium husks and wheat germ.

I also like frozen strawberries with orange juice and a banana with yogurt flax seed, wheat germ, psyllium husks. I havent been sick in 3 years, I think I owe it to that and B12 and I take omega 3 and coQ10 also
    i also take omega 3 and calcium. im thinking of taking magnesium also but i need to check it out first.
    as for the frozen fruits - good idea! i can use tropical fruits and theres more variety. now i use fresh banana, apple, orange and dried fruits such as apricot, raisns and lots of nuts (every day a different kind).

i bought dried wakame seaweed so i will mix it too soon.

Did you see Alton Brown's thing on smoothies & bananas? He does this: buys bananas when they are "old" & cheap. Like the ones with black skins, for next to nothing. Then he says peel them, stick them in a zip top bag & freeze. Then just uses in the smoothies. They have all the benefits & are even sweeter!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

bananas are excellent frozen and very sweet when they turn dark...As far as the magnesium, I wouldnt be too worried about that. If your are eating dark green veggies and nuts/bean you are getting enough. Too much can cause toxicity in your kidneys. Its rare to be defficient in that mineral
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Did you see Alton Brown's thing on smoothies & bananas? He does this: buys bananas when they are "old" & cheap. Like the ones with black skins, for next to nothing. Then he says peel them, stick them in a zip top bag & freeze. Then just uses in the smoothies. They have all the benefits & are even sweeter!
    thats a really good idea but i thought the less black skinned ("younger") they are - the more healthy they get. is there any difference between "good" bananas and black skin bananas? i mean besides the taste?

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    thats a really good idea but i thought the less black skinned ("younger") they are - the more healthy they get. is there any difference between "good" bananas and black skin bananas? i mean besides the taste?
    None. The black ones will be fully rippened & slightly sweeter.

Thread Information