Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domino's Pizza is latest brand to alter its product

Cool Domino's Pizza is latest brand to alter its product

dominos-latest-to-alter-product: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Domino's Pizza announced today that it is changing its pizza recipe in just about every possible way. "We're basically relaunching Domino's Pizza," said Russell Weiner, the head of marketing for Domino's. The move by Domino's comes on the heels of similar announcements made by General Mills and Campbell, saying that they'll be altering some of their iconic products. Why are these companies tinkering with what's proven to be successful for them?

For Domino's, it simply comes down to taste. A recent survey of pizza consumers found that Domino's ranked at the bottom of all the major chains for taste, along with Chuck E. Cheese. With the approach of Super Bowl Sunday, the pizza industry's biggest day of the year, the company is adding butter, garlic, and parsley to its crust, switching from diced to shredded mozzarella cheese with some added provolone and creating a sweeter sauce with a more pronounced red-pepper flavor. Additionally, Domino's, which recently brought "The Noid" out of retirement, says that it plans to launch an aggressive online and television marketing campaign in conjunction with the new recipes and its 50th anniversary.

Conversely, the recipe changes made by Campbell and General Mills seem to be more health-related than anything else. Campbell announced on Monday that it will cut sodium levels by up to 35 percent in its popular-with-children SpaghettiOs canned pastas. It's the second time in two years that Campbell has reduced the sodium in SpaghettiOs, helping them to be in line with the FDA and Department of Agriculture requirements for main dishes deemed suitable for consumption by children.

Meanwhile, General Mills the maker of Lucky Charms, Trix, and Cocoa Puffs announced that it will cut up to 20 percent of the sugar in its cereals marketed to children under 12 years old, following a similar move made by Post Foods and Kellogg's. The changes from all three companies are part of an industry-wide effort to help curb the growing epidemic of childhood obesity and juvenile diabetes.

Domino's, which will have the newpizzas in all of its stores by Dec. 27, ranks higher than any other pizza chain in overall customer satisfaction, so improving on their most glaring weakness could go far in setting them apart from their main rivals, Pizza Hut and Papa John's. On the other hand, some industry insiders consider it a big risk that could cause an uproar similar to the one recently created by Kraft in Australia when it tinkered with Vegemite, a product enormously popular there.

Restaurant industry consultant Howard Gordon, speaking to ABC about Domino's move, said, "I don't know of any [restaurant] company that has attempted this," adding, "Once you've built a brand, that's your brand. To change it means that everything you've stood for isn't right."
    New Coke, anyone?

Sweeter sauce? Gross
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

i always found dominoes up here to be pretty good but always pretty damn salty
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

domino's is nasty. but i like real pizza, not the doughy american kind.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If I eat takeout pizza I eat Dominos guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    domino's is nasty. but i like real pizza, not the doughy american kind.
    Amen. I'd have to be starving before I ate that shit.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Domino's is not representative of real american pizza. It's chain store mass produced processed food. There are NY pizzerias like Lombardi's, Totonno's, Lucali's, Di Fara's, Grimaldi's, etc that make pizza better than anywhere else, including Rome and Naples, imo. Thin, crispy, flat crusts, fresh San Marzano tomatoes, real mozzarella, etc. NY pizza is very different than what we refer to as 'Chicago style' which is thick crusted and doughy.

Comparing Domino's to a NY pizza is like comparing McDonalds burgers to a real fresh grilled sirloin burger.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I agree, Dominos is some of the worst junk pizza out there, and so is Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, and any other chain delivery places.

I'm a Chicago girl, so I tend to be used to Chicago style pizza from the little family owned places if I'm looking for good pizza. However, Lou Malnati's or Giordano's is acceptable too (both are chains here, don't know how nationwide they are though). Really great deep dish pizza, not too much bread though, crispy, toppings inside with the sauce on top.

I love good pizza of all kinds, but I also like the chain crap too. Pizza Hut, Donatos, and yes, even Little Caesar's. But not Dominos-the one chain crap pizza that even I can not tolerate. Whatever they do to it, it can only be an improvement.

I also really like the Pizzeria Uno pesto and tomato pizza...yumm.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

i consider Dominos the bottom of the barrel, right down there with Papa Johns.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

We only ate Dominoes in college, when we were really drunk. Because it was the only place that delivered after midnight....even then, it tasted like salty greasy cardboard. There's a reason it's so cheap.
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

I prefer even Little Caesar's over Domino's most of the time; and sweeter sauce? Ugh. One of the main reasons I can't stand the Pizza Hut $5 PizzaMia pizzas is precisely because they have a sweet sauce, so I imagine this would make me dislikle Domino's even more...

Dominos is definitely the worst of the chain pizza joints. Down here it has potential with taste, some of the toppings sound different, but it's so damn greasy. Overall, I prefer homemade pizzas so I'm very picky.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Where I came from Papa Johns was the best. Pizza Hut tasted like pure butter, Dominos was junk and Little Caesars was downright nasty. However recently I moved and started eating Digiorno. I flavor that up myself and thats pretty decent. And I had Dominos recently as well, the sauce was sweeter and it had some different flavorings on the crust. I liked it a great deal and may consider ordering from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I love good pizza of all kinds, but I also like the chain crap too. Pizza Hut, Donatos, and yes, even Little Caesar's. But not Dominos-the one chain crap pizza that even I can not tolerate. Whatever they do to it, it can only be an improvement.

I also really like the Pizzeria Uno pesto and tomato pizza...yumm.
    Don't bring Little Caesars into this!! That is my pizza of choice. Not to channel Wanda but I absolutely love their stuffed crust crazy bread and stuffed crust Hawaiian pizza. Mmmm.... so garlicky.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information