Thread: How often do you eat dessert?

Elite Member

Default How often do you eat dessert?

I was surprised to learn that some households have dessert after dinner every night! No wonder the US population is getting fatter. We almost never had dessert after dinner when I was growing up. Now I only make dessert when we have dinner guests. Even when we go out to a restaurant, we rarely order dessert. Maybe once or twice a year at a special occasion dinner.

I would like to find out if serving dessert is the norm for most people. I took dinner to someone who just had a baby a few nights ago, and I didn't include dessert, just roast chicken, wild rice, and asparagus. Should I have included dessert? I didn't even think about making anything until it was too late.

Silver Member

Default Re: How often do you eat dessert?

I love to have dessert but it is not expected at my house, it is not an everyday thing. When I go out to dinner I will get dessert and if I have guests I will have something, but it is always simple. SOme weeknights I will have frozen yogurt while watching TV, but that is a snack more than a dessert. Do oyu know that Ben and Jerry's makes nonfat frozen yogurt now, oh yeah I do that up a lot lately.

It depends. I always eat something after dinner, but it's usually just yogurt (normal, not the frozen kind).

I almost never ate dessert at home when I was a kid. Seriously, it would be a huge treat to go out for frozen yogurt in the summer and it usually only happened around once a month. Our dessert was usually some melon or something, not "real desserts". Now that I'm in the dorm I only have dessert if there's something that looks REALLY good, which isn't very often considering it's dorm food.

Barely ever, I'm not a big fan of desert. Even if I'm in a restaurant I always skip it. We only have desert if I'm visiting my Mum and she's made a nice meal.

i bake desserts all the time so whenever i have guests over for coffee etc i will serve cake/cookies/whatever i've made that week but people are always amazed that i have the stuff all the time and remain slim. the key is moderation like i'll have a tiny square of whatever just to kind of get the taste and then won't have a huge serving. i think it's all portion control.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

All the time. Usually it's either fruit, yogurt or frozen yogurt. Something healthy. I was raised having dessert after lunch and dinner all the time and I have a sweet tooth so even when dieting I manage to figure out a dessert I can have.

I never usually bother but my husband has a sweet tooth. I usually just have fresh fruit and yogurt, or just fruit, but hubby has that, plus something sweet and frozen yogurt. He also likes rice pudding!

Hubby always brings me the fruit, or I'd probably never bother even with that.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; February 20th, 2006 at 02:48 PM.

A*O

Never anything sweet. Occasionally cheese/fruit/crackers. My mother NEVER served dessert when I was growing up because she was/is a diet nazi.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

There's something about a lot of men from the UK wanting dessert after meals. One of my friends was married to an Englishman and he expected her to whip up something delectable from scratch every night even though she worked full time and had two children under four. That was one of the reasons their marriage failed, I'm convinced.

We never had dessert after meals when I was growing up. My mother would only bake a cake or pie for holidays and that was it. She really didn't keep anything with sugar in the house. We used to put grapes, strawberries, bananas and pineapple with the juice (not syrup) in tupperware and freeze it and call that dessert. It was sweet, so it was a treat.

I never order dessert in a restaurant. By the time I've eaten half of the ginormous serving a restaurant serves, I'm too full to think about dessert. Restaurant portions are obscene, but that's a different rant.

We very rarely had dessert at home growing up. I started taking an interest in baking when I was quite young, so if I made something, it was for dessert. Really though, probably a couple of times per year. I have dessert now about once or twice per week, but it's usually fruit, sometimes a piece of cake if I'm really craving something.

I have dessert sometimes at the restaurant but not always, and when I have guests (I rarely do).
    But since I loooooooooove baking cakes and muffins and brownies and you name it, I eat them for breakfast, that way I know I have the whole day ahead to burn the calories, and my sweet tooth doesn't get frustrated
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

I make a dessert for my kids once a week, usually on the weekend because I have more free time then. We also have something special for holidays, as well.

I don't have to worry about overeating sweets - with two teenagers in the house, I'm lucky if I get to even see a dessert before it's inhaled and the dish is tossed in the sink for me to wash!

Never, it's just not my thing. I have a hard enough time making dinner, I can't stress myself out with making dessert. I'm too stuffed to have dessert after dinner at a restaurant.

Thread Information