Thread: Movie popcorn still a nutritional horror, study finds

Default Movie popcorn still a nutritional horror, study finds

A worker makes popcorn at a Denver theater. A Center for Science in the Public Interest study found that 20 cups of one chain's popcorn contains 1,200 calories, 60 grams of saturated fat, and 980 milligrams of sodium. (Matthew Staver, Bloomberg / October 16, 2009)

A medium-sized popcorn and medium soda at the nation's largest movie chain pack the nutritional equivalent of three Quarter Pounders topped with 12 pats of butter, according to a report released today by the advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest.

The group's second look at movie theater concessions -- the last was 15 years ago -- found little had changed in a decade and a half, despite theaters' attempts to reformulate.

CSPI bought multiple servings of popcorn from the three largest movie chains, Regal Entertainment Group, AMC and Cinemark, and had them analyzed in an independent lab.

It found that a Regal medium popcorn -- 20 cups -- contains 1,200 calories, 60 grams of saturated fat, and 980 milligrams of sodium. That's without the buttery topping that can be drizzled -- or poured -- on the popcorn, which adds another 200 calories and 3 grams of saturated fat per 1.5 tablespoons.

An AMC medium popcorn did better because of its smaller size -- nine cups -- at 590 calories and 33 grams of saturated fat, and a 14-cup Cinemark medium was 760 calories and just 3 grams of saturated fat (in both cases, before adding buttery topping).

One problem is that Regal and AMC, the two largest chains, pop their popcorn in coconut oil, which is about 90% saturated fat, noted Jayne Hurley, senior nutritionist at Washington-based CSPI.

Cinemark, the third-largest chain, now pops its corn in canola oil, which explains its much lower saturated fat levels.

"Cinemark gets a thumbs-up for switching," Hurley said.

In two positive steps, trans fatty acids were not found in the samples, Hurley added, and theaters have stopped using hydrogenated oils in the butter-flavored toppings.

The study, published in the December issue of CSPI's Nutrition Action HealthLetter, found that in several cases the theater company calorie counts were lower than the numbers revealed in the study.

For example, Regal's figure of 720 calories for a medium popcorn was considerably lower than the one determined by CSPI. (The company declined to comment beyond a general statement.)

Several chains either did not respond to requests for comment or said they would have no comment. Regal, in its statement, said that movie popcorn is not meant to be daily fare and that it acknowledges some of the food it sells is healthier than others.

"According to the most recent statistics from the Motion Picture Assn. of America, the average American attends six movies a year," Regal said. "Theater popcorn and movie snacks are viewed as a treat and not intended to be part of a regular diet."

It's unclear if consumers would storm the concession stand for low-cal popcorn anyway. After the 1994 popcorn report, "many cinema operators responded by offering their patrons additional choices, such as air-popped popcorn," the National Assn. of Theatre Owners said in a statement.

"After very little time, movie patrons in droves made their voices heard -- they wanted the traditional popcorn back."

fgg

this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. i love popcorn while watching movies but i never get butter on it, not that it matters when it has all of the saturated fat just from the oil it's cooked in. i'll stick to my 100 calorie home jiffy pop.

This is why I sneak my snacks in.

And *psst* celeb, you forgot your source link.

WTF cares? How often does one eat popcorn at the theater? Its a fuckin' occasional treat, get over yourselves.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    WTF cares? How often does one eat popcorn at the theater? Its a fuckin' occasional treat, get over yourselves.
    That's what the people on the news were saying this morning: I don't get the food at the theater to be healthy, I get it to enjoy...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

i cannot go to the movies without getting popcorn, i just can't. I don't go to the movies all the time, so no big whoop.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Haven't seen too many movie theaters that offer a veggie plate with cottage cheese dip. Personally, I enjoy a little popcorn with my butter.

who seriously doesn't know this? of course it's bad for you.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I don't know about movie popcorn being a nutritional horror, but it's definitely a financial horror. A small popcorn cost me $5.50 at the movies last week. WTF?

Were they charging you by the calorie?

I am not giving up movie popcorn. I don't like butter on mine-saving 25 calories.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Were they charging you by the calorie?
    You would think so, considering the price. And since the movie ticket was $7, I felt like I was paying for another ticket.

What? No! Next thing they're going to tell me is that candy bars are bad for me.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Thread Information