Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Daring Kitchen

Default The Daring Kitchen

Is anyone on here a member of The Daring Kitchen? I joined as a daring baker last month and I'm really loving it. You can either be a "daring baker" or a "daring cook" and every month you are given a secret challenge that you must complete (you have to do 10 out of 12 challenges a year to continue as a member). I'm just curious if anyone else on here is a member. If you're not a member but you like to bake or cook you should definitely consider joining.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Oh cool... I am contemplating this!!!!!!!!!!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

What types of foods do you have to cook? Sounds interesting.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

I'm skeered!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's a lot of fun. I just started it last month so I've only had two challenges. I'm only a daring baker (not a daring cook) because I'm a picky eater and I probably wouldn't eat a lot of the cooking "missions." Whereas, I have never come across a dessert I wouldn't try. :-)

Anyways, last month it was a Dobos Torte recipe which was pretty complicated but came out so delicious! I had never heard of a Dobos Torte before and so I'm definitely glad I gave it a try. It's multiple layers of sponge cake with chocolate buttercream frosting in between. Topped with caramel and hazelnuts. I'll be making it again for sure. Here's a picture of the cake I made:

The month before last was mallows (chocolate covered marshmallow cookies) and milan cookies. They've also had chocolate eclairs and cheesecake as previous challenges. And you get to be as creative with your dessert as you want while still keeping the basic idea the same. It's fun to see what everyone else comes up with.

As for the cooking challenges, last month was a skate recipe. The month before that was chinese dumplings. The month before that was Zuni Ricotta Gnocchi.

Hit By Ban Bus!

atrayubrandy,

Did you post your Dobos Torte? I always check some results of the challenges. If so, post a link to see it!!

Ack, sorry. When I posted my comment I had a picture attached but I don't know what happened. Here's a picture...

Or you can go to my blog to read about it.

Silver Member

Sounds very fattening. Somebody has to eat the finished product.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by atrayubrandy View Post
    Ack, sorry. When I posted my comment I had a picture attached but I don't know what happened. Here's a picture...

Or you can go to my blog to read about it.
    The dobos torte was ur first daring bakers challenge?? damn it girl, it turned out fantastic!! congrats!!

I love cooking too and enjoyed reading your blog. But, I'm so time deprived that I'm using recipes that have less than 5/6 ingredients in them!

I also substitute a lot. In pasta recipes, I substitute cream for evaporated milk etc. How do you make your recipes low fat?? Some of these recipes look incredible, but I would love to make them without piling on the weight that comes with them. Any suggestions??

Well, when I am baking for company I make the full fat desserts but if it is just for myself, I'll often substitute certain ingredients for the fattier ingredients. I'll replace cream cheese with neufchatel. Or I'll replace half of the oil in a cake with applesauce.

As for being time deprived you should give considerable thought to trying Once a month cooking. That's what I do and it saves me a ridiculous amount of time and money. I spend one day a month cooking all my meals and freezing them. Because I use meals with basically the same cooking methods and ingredients, I have cut my grocery bill in half and I just prepare the food in bulk (cutting down on prep, cooking, and clean-up time). Then, when you are ready for dinner, you just pull whatever meal you want out of the freezer (or let it defrost) and cook it. Voila. In 20 minutes or so you have a home cooked meal that you didn't have to work hard on that day and virtually no dishes.

It gives me more time to work on baking. Which I like to do regularly.

Thank you, Susan. It tasted amazing, too. I'm definitely going to try making it again. I've already completed this month's challenge and while it is still a secret (until the 27th we aren't allowed to share what the challenge was), I can tell you it turned out amazing. I'm so excited because I never tried to make this particular thing before and there are so many things I can make now that I know how it's made. Sorry for being all cryptic, I just had to share my excitement. I've never been good at keeping secrets.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^
    Why dont u post your recipes in TasteSpotting | a community driven visual potluck ?

Thanks for the link!! I've never heard of TasteSpotting before. I can't wait to explore it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by atrayubrandy View Post
    Thanks for the link!! I've never heard of TasteSpotting before. I can't wait to explore it.
    what??? you have to check it!!!!!!!!!!
    You have to register and then can be able to post a pic and link to whatever u want to show everyone.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information