Thread: The trouble with green tea

Default The trouble with green tea

The Trouble with Green Tea on Yahoo! Health

Did you know that most of the free-radical fighters in green tea never make it to your bloodstream? But there's a solution. To get a better grasp on the healthy catechins in your green tea, flavor your cup with a squeeze of citrus juice.
    Green Tea Booster
    Catechins -- the antioxidants in green tea famous for lowering your risk of chronic disease -- quickly lose their power in your intestine. In fact, as much as 80% of the catechins in green tea are never absorbed. The solution to boosting absorption, researchers recently found, is as simple as flavoring your tea with freshly squeezed and strained lemon, orange, lime, or grapefruit juice.
    Taking Tea with C
    The vitamin C in citrus may help with absorption by increasing the acidity in your small intestine. Other unidentified substances in the juice probably lend a hand, too. Researchers found a 50-50 mix had the greatest catechin-preserving effect, and lemon did it best, closely followed by orange, lime, and, in last place, grapefruit.
    It's Not All Bad News
    If you do take steps to boost the power of your green tea, you may even get a few added benefits.
    • It may help you lose weight. At least one study shows green tea can stimulate moderate weight loss.
    • It may help keep your knees young and strong -- catechins fight inflammation and arthritis.
    • It can help your skin look great if used in conjunction with an antioxidant cream. Dab it on.
    • It can help you stay sharp -- try 2 cups a day to see benefits.
    RealAge Benefit: Getting the right amount of antioxidants through diet or supplements can make your RealAge 6 years younger.

hrm... i have green tea powder.. *mixes it with water, gives self a facial*..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    hrm... i have green tea powder.. *mixes it with water, gives self a facial*..
    I mix used green tea (open just brewed tea bag) with yogurt and use it to wash my face.

.. why yogurt
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^^
    yoghurt is great for face masks. it's great if you have sensitive skin. if it's on the oily side, add a few drops of lemon. if it's dry, add honey.
    i also add oatmeal sometimes. good for exfoliating.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

and then you can eat it

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Homemade masks are great. Oatmeal in particular.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I love the way my skin feels after a yogurt mask - just really soft and fresh. I'm going to try adding the green tea!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information