Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don’t tell the colonel! KFC recipe may be out

Default Don’t tell the colonel! KFC recipe may be out

Ron Douglas shares the ingredients for his version of KFC's 11 herbs and spices recipe
    — 1 teaspoon ground oregano
    — 1 teaspoon chili powder
    — 1 teaspoon ground sage
    — 1 teaspoon dried basil
    — 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
    — 1 teaspoon pepper
    — 2 teaspoons salt
    — 2 tablespoons paprika
    — 1 teaspoon onion salt
    — 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    — 2 tablespoons Accent

Don’t tell the colonel! KFC recipe may be out - TODAY: Book news

The obsession started years ago after a challenge from his wife: Could finance manager Ron Douglas, an avid cook and Kentucky Fried Chicken fan, really crack the code to the best-kept culinary secret in the country? After several attempts, the Long Island, N.Y., man says he may know the 11 herbs and spices in KFC’s recipe — and now he's sharing the secret with the world.
    Douglas, 34, began his quest by searching the Internet for clues to the recipe. He found that there were thousands of people looking for directions to help them duplicate their favorite restaurant meals at home. In answer to their prayers, he started the Web site Secret recipes of America's favorite restaurants | Free Restaurant Recipes | Cooking Forum | Copycat Recipes.
    Stealth tactics
    While the KFC recipe continued to elude him (despite his attempt to snag the information by bribing one of the restaurant’s cooks), Douglas was able to copy recipes from other chains — sometimes through questionable tactics.
    "I'd usually go to the restaurant and get takeout so I could try to decode the meals at home," he said. "Other times, I'd tell the waitress that my wife had severe food allergies and that I needed to know the ingredients in the dish. Sometimes, I'd get a full list right there!"
    Douglas' site quickly became hot, with copycat recipes from such popular restaurants as Applebee's, IHOP, Macaroni Grill, The Cheesecake Factory and, of course, KFC. After selling 50,000 of his self-published cookbooks, Douglas decided to leave his job at JPMorgan so he could concentrate on the site full time. He even hired two part-time chefs to help him break down recipes.
    "I wanted to be able to do what I loved," said Douglas, who has a daughter, 5, and a son, 2. "But the biggest motivation to quit was that I wanted to be with my daughter to enjoy her childhood. Spending time with my kids is the best part."
    Those 11 herbs and spices
    The decision has so far paid off: Douglas scored a deal with Simon & Schuster, which published his "America's Most Wanted Recipes" earlier this month. The book includes a recipe for KFC's 11 herbs and spices — which Douglas says he discovered after six attempts.
    "The exact recipe has never been released," Douglas admitted, "but mine comes really, really close. I kept trying, and with the help of the online community, we figured out a recipe that's so good most people can't tell the difference."
    But Douglas shouldn't get cocky, says KFC.
    "Colonel Sanders' Secret Recipe of 11 herbs and spices is one of the most famous recipes in the world, and the precautions taken to safeguard the identity of the ingredients are second to none," said Rick Maynard, a KFC spokesman. "Plenty of people have tried to duplicate the recipe over the years, but there is still only one place to get authentic Original Recipe Chicken — at a KFC restaurant."
    Besides the KFC recipe, Douglas says his favorite duplicate dishes include Applebee's Fiesta Lime Chicken and The Cheesecake Factory's Oreo Cheesecake.
    Douglas says he hasn't heard from any angry restaurant executives, and he doesn’t expect that he will.
    "The recipes are my own — I use the names as a reference point so people know what they're eating," he said. "I'm pretty sure I'm not taking away business from these big chains."
    Besides, Douglas adds, he's just helping people out in these tough times.
    "I think the recession has really been good for me," he said. "People want to eat these delicious meals without spending all the money. The demand is huge, and maybe this will lead to a cooking show. Now the sky's the limit."

there have been tons of people out there that have come up with a KFC clone recipe.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

i've heard kfc's new grilled chicken is good also. and better for you.
    I'm not loafing, I just work so fast I'm always finished.

The real key is how they cook the chicken. Can't duplicate the conditions in a home kitchen.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

I had to email this to my dad, because he's a nut for KFC. He'll be cooking this shit left and right for the next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I had to email this to my dad, because he's a nut for KFC. He'll be cooking this shit left and right for the next month.
    this cracked me up for some reason...especially that last sentence.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

^ He will! You won't be able to get a decent meal in that house that doesn't taste like the colonel's ass for a while.

white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

he forgot the feces
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

doesnt anyone remember the tale of the fried rat from KFC?
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^^no. do tell.

would never ever ever eat there!!!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

back when i was in high school there was as story going around about a young couple that drove thru KFC and got a bucket of chicken for the drive in movie.

they were watching the movie, and decided to eat some chicken. The girlfriend said 'hmm this tastes odd' so they turned on the light, and it was a fried rats head.

dont know if it was true or not, but to this day i look to make sure that it isnt a rat i'm eating. yeah i'm like that.

*rushes to snopes*
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

o lord, i hope that isn't true!

What is "accent"???

(as in 2 tablespoons Accent)
    Free Charmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information