Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian diet 'weakens bones'

Default Vegetarian diet 'weakens bones'

Vegetarian diet 'weakens bones' - Yahoo! News

SYDNEY (AFP) – People who live on vegetarian diets have slightly weaker bones than their meat-eating counterparts, Australian researchers said Thursday.
    A joint Australian-Vietnamese study of links between the bones and diet of more than 2,700 people found that vegetarians had bones five percent less dense than meat-eaters, said lead researcher Tuan Nguyen.
    The issue was most pronounced in vegans, who excluded all animal products from their diet and whose bones were six percent weaker, Nguyen said.
    There was "practically no difference" between the bones of meat-eaters and ovolactovegetarians, who excluded meat and seafood but ate eggs and dairy products, he said.
    "The results suggest that vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, are associated with lower bone mineral density," Nguyen wrote in the study, which was published Thursday in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
    "But the magnitude of the association is clinically insignificant," he added.
    Nguyen, who is from Sydney's Garvan Institute for Medical Research and collaborated on the project with the Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine in Ho Chi Minh City, said the question of whether the lower density bones translated to increased fracture risk was yet to be answered.
    "Given the rising number of vegetarians, roughly five percent (of people) in western countries, and the widespread incidence of osteoporosis, the issue is worth resolving," he said.

The only thing saving this guy from an ass kicking by Ingrid Newkirk is that she is unwilling to make the 13-hour flight.

i think being healthy and vegetarian takes a lot of time and effort and most people don't have the time to plan out a healthy diet that includes all the nutrients they need. being vegetarian limits your options when eating out, when you don't have time to cook and need to just grab a quick bite to eat, etc... and it's even worse if you're vegan.
    i've had lots of vegetarian friends (especially female, since we are more prone to it) end up anaemic from their diets. their doctors' advice: start eating meat again. or you can take iron supplements but as anyone who's taken those knows, they seriously fuck up your stomach.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think being healthy and vegetarian takes a lot of time and effort and most people don't have the time to plan out a healthy diet that includes all the nutrients they need. being vegetarian limits your options when eating out, when you don't have time to cook and need to just grab a quick bite to eat, etc... and it's even worse if you're vegan.
    i've had lots of vegetarian friends (especially female, since we are more prone to it) end up anaemic from their diets. their doctors' advice: start eating meat again. or you can take iron supplements but as anyone who's taken those knows, they seriously fuck up your stomach.
    My mom gave me iron supplements when I was a little kid. I thought I was dying. I was doubled over with horrible abdominal pains.

^^^
    they're awful.
    my mother had really bad anaemia at one point (she ended up in the hospital and had to have blood transfusions) and after that, until her blood was back to normal, she had to take iron supplements. they wrecked her stomach so bad she ended up having to have them injected as that was the only way to reduce the stomach pains.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

There was "practically no difference" between the bones of meat-eaters and ovolactovegetarians, who excluded meat and seafood but ate eggs and dairy products, he said.
    Wait. Isn't that basically what vegetarianism is? I'm pretty sure that if you don't eat egg or dairy products, that makes you a vegan. Therefore, by the standard definition of vegetarian, there's no difference in bone density - only in vegans (which is no bloody surprise). Way for this reporter to go and misrepresent it! As for fracture risk, a different article contradicts what this one says:

Vegan diet leads to less dense bones

Vegans have lower bone densities than non-vegans, say Australian researchers.

But the news isn't all bad, with the study finding an animal-free diet doesn't translate into more fractures.

The findings, published today in the American Journal of Nutrition American Journal of Nutrition , came out of a review of previous studies that included more than 2500 individuals.

Research has shown that low bone density, a predictor for osteoporosis, increases the risk of bone fracture.

Epidemiologist and lead author Dr Tuan Nguyen, of Sydney's Garvan Institute of Medical Research Garvan Institute of Medical Research , says there are four main factors that influence bone density; genetics, hormones, exercise and nutrition.

He expected vegans, those who avoid eating animal products, would have lower bone density and therefore a higher risk of bone fracture.
    The study found that on average vegans had a bone mass density 5% lower than non-vegans.

But Nguyen says the study found vegans were no more likely to be treated for bone fractures than non-vegans.

This is probably because vegans tend to be more health conscious, he says.

"If you look at vegetarians as a whole they are certainly healthier, they tend to live longer and have lower risk of hypertension and heart disease."

And there are other factors that may override the influence bone density has on fracture risk such as hormone deficiencies, smoking and lifestyle, says Nguyen.
    Vegan diet leads to less dense bones › News in Science (ABC Science)

I'm not a vegetarian, though I try to keep my red meat consumption to a minimum (approx once a fortnight on average?), for environmental reasons. I just get irritated when I sense shitty/sensationalistic reporting.

Well there's different type of vegetarians. Vegans do not eat meat, or dairy products, some vegetarians allow all dairy products, some vegetarians allow only eggs in their diet.

A*O

To me a vegetarian does not eat any meat but will often have dairy and/or eggs. A vegan doesn't eat ANY animal product whatsoever. It's pretty obvious that a vegan diet isn't going to provide all your nutrients, vitamins and minerals so you need to take supplements, including iron and calcium for bone health. It doesn't do any harm for women to take calcium anyway.

Seems to me that if your diet lacks certain important elements so you are obliged to take lots of supplements than perhaps your body NEEDS those things in the first place? I know the veggie camp says that human beings can survive on almost any diet, carnivore or vegetarian or vegan and that's true. But it's one thing to survive, it's another to be healthy. My daughter is going through her Teenage Girl Vetegarian Meat Is Murder phase at the moment. I torment her by frying bacon. She'll cave in very soon.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I thought meat eating was bad for the bones because the phosphorus content leached calcium from the bones.

Just make an effort to eat a real food diet - keeping the processed shit and sugar to a minimum and you should be fine.

They used to say lowfat was the healthiest diet and look how that turned out. Just use common sense and your palate to dictate your healthy food wants.

Gold Member

I'm going to eat meat and at this point in game (ie, my son has already experienced bacon) I don't see anyone in this house giving it up. We eat mostly lean meats, very little red meat at all. If anything, the thing I'm fighting the boys on is lunchmeat. It's not really good for you.

Anyways, my friend's sister-in-law already limited her diet by following the 7 Day Adventist beliefs. Then she decided to go further and started doing a vegetarian diet for herself and the kids. Both of her kids were underweight, the youngest was falling behind on growth charts and the doctor told her that she was NOT providing enough nutrition for her kids. She actually told the doctor that she was giving them soy instead of meat and that was good enough.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

A*O

I had a veggie friend who gave her kids soy formula and both of them had rotten baby teeth when they popped through their gums. That soy shit is FULL of sugar.
    Dame Edna Everage

I don't understand why some meat eaters dislike vegetarians so much, they seem to get really bitchy about it

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I had a veggie friend who gave her kids soy formula and both of them had rotten baby teeth when they popped through their gums. That soy shit is FULL of sugar.
    It's also got no cholesterol and breast milk is high in cholesterol, soy milk is unhealthy for babies on so many levels

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    "The results suggest that vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, are associated with lower bone mineral density,"
    so... the heading should be Vegan diets weaken bones.
    Last edited by Tati; July 2nd, 2009 at 10:24 PM.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    I don't understand why some meat eaters dislike vegetarians so much, they seem to get really bitchy about it
    Not me! I go vegetarian every now and then for a few weeks as a form of detox and I have a couple of meat-free days during the week at other times. Mainly because I like fruit and veggies and don't think a meal is incomplete without meat. It's those who take it to extremes and go all feral PETArd about it who are infuriating.
    Dame Edna Everage

I don't eat any red meat save the occasional hamburger. I don't eat any pork because it is the most fatty. I eat a lot of poultry and seafood and dairy. I don't think I could survive with chicken and turkey and milk.

I worry about some of my vegetarian friends as well who don't "think it through" before starting their new diet. One of my friends is very anemic and it worries me. Her doctor has told her numerous times she needs to start eating meat to no avail. I think you can be a vegetarian and be healthy, you just have to add plenty of beans and protein to your diet, you have to plan ahead so your health doesn't suffer. Its no surprise to me at all that vegans have weaker bones, they are so limited in their food intake. To me, dairy, eggs, etc. are so important to my diet.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information