Thread: Help! I'm addicted to gum!

Default Help! I'm addicted to gum!

I had (have) this horrible habit of biting the inside of my mouth ALL THE TIME! I don't know why I do it, but I can't even consciously force myself to stop.

So I've started chewing gum. Personally, I really can't stand seeing people chewing gum. I think it looks terrible and low-class. But now I'm doing it because it's the only thing I can do to stop chewing on my mouth instead!

I sit at work all day, just gnawing away, and it has got to stop!

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Default Re: Help! I'm addicted to gum!

You could take up smoking. JOKE.

How about sucking on a mint or pastille or other hard candy?

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb
    I had (have) this horrible habit of biting the inside of my mouth ALL THE TIME! I don't know why I do it, but I can't even consciously force myself to stop.

So I've started chewing gum. Personally, I really can't stand seeing people chewing gum. I think it looks terrible and low-class. But now I'm doing it because it's the only thing I can do to stop chewing on my mouth instead!

I sit at work all day, just gnawing away, and it has got to stop!

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
    I was going to suggest the same thing as pacific breeze (love that name), the
    candy part that is.

I think chewing gum is the better alternative for you than chewing the inside of your mouth. Perhaps try breaking the stick of gum into small pieces. If the piece of gum in your mouth is small enough, it may prevent you from the “gnawing” or chomping effect.

Also, perhaps your dentist can help you in some way (of course that means
    a lot of cash). When my daughter was young she had a habit of pushing
    her tongue onto the back of her front teeth, causing her front teeth to start
    going buck. The dentist made her a “bad habit appliance” which cured
    her after a few months. I’m not sure if it’s even possible in your case
    though.

Other than that, I have no other suggestions for you. Good luck and keep us
    posted.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

missbazilb, I chew on the inside of my mouth when I'm nervous. I started eating ice to avoid it, but I don't suggest that. It numbs your teeth and gums up and it's easy to crack your teeth and not realize it.

You can try a clear plastic mouth plate - like the kind that's used for whitening gels. They usually have a little give in them so you could chew on it, but you won't be able to chew on your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvira

Also, perhaps your dentist can help you in some way (of course that means
    a lot of cash). When my daughter was young she had a habit of pushing
    her tongue onto the back of her front teeth, causing her front teeth to start
    going buck. The dentist made her a “bad habit appliance” which cured
    her after a few months. I’m not sure if it’s even possible in your case
    though.
    That would be the thumbsucking appliance. It can be used for tongue thrust as well, but it's primary function is to keep kids from sucking their thumbs. There is a pretty good amount of research out there about how it really isn't the best option for fixing either problem, especially since it does injure the child until they stop the action. There is positive reinforcement therapy that is considered much better and corrects the original problem instead of just stopping them from doing one of the symptoms.

[/soapbox]

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    missbazilb, I chew on the inside of my mouth when I'm nervous. I started eating ice to avoid it, but I don't suggest that. It numbs your teeth and gums up and it's easy to crack your teeth and not realize it.

You can try a clear plastic mouth plate - like the kind that's used for whitening gels. They usually have a little give in them so you could chew on it, but you won't be able to chew on your mouth.

I chew my mouth, too, and I have a mouth plate, but I usually only wear it at night. I find sucking the small fruit or mint pastilles is a good way to curb it. Of course, sometimes it happens anyway but not nearly so often.

I've been eating a lot of gum lately because I'm in the process of quitting chewing my nails. 16 days and counting! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    That would be the thumbsucking appliance. It can be used for tongue thrust as well, but it's primary function is to keep kids from sucking their thumbs. There is a pretty good amount of research out there about how it really isn't the best option for fixing either problem, especially since it does injure the child until they stop the action. There is positive reinforcement therapy that is considered much better and corrects the original problem instead of just stopping them from doing one of the symptoms.

[/soapbox]
    Now you tell me. If my daughter starts blaming me for any future problems I'll be thinking about her "bad habit appliance" (this term was used by her dentist a few years ago).

Well, it isn't the end of the world b/c the problem can be fixed into adulthood. The reason I know so much about this is b/c my mom is the type of therapist that corrects tongue thrusts, she has had patients in their 80's. If the tongue thrust continues (and the teeth start going forward again) look up an orofacial myologist in your area to see about therapy. Definitely make sure it's solved before your daughter gets braces though (if she needs them), if she still has the tongue thrust with braces, not only will braces be on for longer, but her teeth will shift back after the braces come off and it will have been a waste of a lot of money. The website where you can find orofacial myologists (and more about what they do) is http://www.iaom.com

SVZ

i'm a tongue thruster only because my tongue is too big for my jaw

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    Omg you too? Lol. Two of my best friends tongue thrust. They had to go to speech therapy for years, and both had braces 3 different times because of it!

I used to too. I really should get braces again, but I don't wanna be a college student wearing braces, it was bad enough in high school when half of the other students were in braces.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    Well, it isn't the end of the world b/c the problem can be fixed into adulthood. The reason I know so much about this is b/c my mom is the type of therapist that corrects tongue thrusts, she has had patients in their 80's. If the tongue thrust continues (and the teeth start going forward again) look up an orofacial myologist in your area to see about therapy. Definitely make sure it's solved before your daughter gets braces though (if she needs them), if she still has the tongue thrust with braces, not only will braces be on for longer, but her teeth will shift back after the braces come off and it will have been a waste of a lot of money. The website where you can find orofacial myologists (and more about what they do) is http://www.iaom.com
    Thanks, I feel better now.

My daughter is older now and no longer wears braces, but that is exactly
    what happened in her case.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    Like Mr. Winkles?

Thread Information