Thread: Too much cola can cause muscle problems

Thumbs down Too much cola can cause muscle problems

Too Much Cola Can Cause Muscle Problems on Yahoo! Health

WEDNESDAY, May 27 (HealthDay News) -- Drinking too much cola can increase the risk of a muscle problem called hypokalemia, experts warn.
    In people with hypokalemia, a drop in blood potassium levels results in problems with vital muscle functions. Symptoms can range from mild weakness to serious paralysis, say Greek researchers who conducted a review of people who drank between two to nine liters of cola a day.
    Two of the patients were pregnant women who were admitted to hospital with low potassium levels. One was a 21-year-old woman who drank up to three liters of cola a day and complained of fatigue, appetite loss and persistent vomiting. An electrocardiogram revealed she had a heart blockage, and blood tests showed she had low potassium levels, the researchers explained in a news release.
    The second pregnant patient, who'd consumed up to seven liters of cola a day for 10 months, had low potassium levels and was suffering from increasing muscular weakness, the researchers noted.
    Both patients made a rapid and full recovery after they stopped drinking cola and took oral or intravenous potassium. The case studies are described in the June issue of the International Journal of Clinical Practice.
    "We are consuming more soft drinks than ever before, and a number of health issues have already been identified including tooth problems, bone demineralization and the development of metabolic syndrome and diabetes," and there's increasing evidence that excessive cola consumption leads to hypokalemia, Dr. Moses Elisaf, of the University of Ioannina, said in the news release.
    Elisaf said the three most common ingredients in cola -- glucose, fructose and caffeine -- can contribute to hypokalemia.
    "The individual role of each of these ingredients in the pathophysiology of cola-induced hypokalemia has not been determined and may vary in different patients," Elisaf said. "However, in most of the cases we looked at for our review, caffeine intoxication was thought to play the most important role. This has been borne out by case studies that focus on other products that contain high levels of caffeine but no glucose or fructose."
    However, "caffeine-free cola products can also cause hypokalemia because the fructose they contain can cause diarrhea," Elisaf said.

Seeing the title I was ready to blame a particularly persistant muscle cramp I've been having for a week on my coke-a-day habit (rather than the gym), but then read the quantity.

TWO TO NINE FUCKING LITRES? I don't think I've ever managed to drink more than 3-4 lt of water in one day, and only in the worst days of the summer heatwave. Who has a bladder that large?
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Gold Member

I was thinking the same thing. My hubby gets really bad muscle cramps in his legs and the man has a soda habit but it takes him two days or so to get through one 2 liter!

The thing that bothers me is that the women are pregnant. It's pretty much common knowledge to lay off that garbage when you're pregnant. You already can have cramping muscles, why would you want to aggravate it?
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Elite Member

9 liters - wouldn't that kill someone?

Decaf or caffeinated? Because if I drank 9 liters of caffeinated anything, I wouldn't sleep for the rest of my life.

For the record, I drink 1-2 cans of Diet Coke a week. I've cut pop out nearly completely - one every once in a while tastes good.

We dont drink it, not good news at all.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

All sodas are liquid satan. I have a wicked caffeine and Im trying to break it, I used to drink way too many cans of coke a day. Im down to one glass of soda a day now.
    I think sodas are almost as bad as cigarettes honestly, they just dont have the stigma attached to them like cigs do.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Thread Information