Thread: Bethanny Bakes cookies flammable?

Default Bethanny Bakes cookies flammable?

Yeah, as in the Real Housewives of NYC.

At any rate, I'm a cooking neophyte. I've purchased her Bethenny Bakes frozen cookies, and I keep them frozen. The cookies are fine if I take them out early and let them thaw on their own without any help. Trouble arises when I try to speed up the thaw.

Trouble has arisen twice:

The first time, I took a frozen cookie out and treated it like most other frozen baked goods: I opened the end and put it in the microwave- I think for around 30 seconds. Result: the plastic caught on fire, melted all over the cookie and almost burned out my microwave.

Lesson learned, the next time, I put only the cookie in the microwave. After 15 seconds I smelled something burning and pulled the cookie out of the microwave. The cookie was totally frozen except for the chocolate parts which were mostly melted and singed.

Any ideas on whats going on here? Is it product fail? Does my microwave suck? has anyone else had this experience?

ETA: I really hope someone has an idea / suggestions. Her cookies taste great but I really hate that my entire home smells like burned food after I prepare them. I'm sitting amongst the smell right now and it is not pleasant.
    Last edited by Cali; May 28th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.

Ummm-we all know I am not a great cook,but shouldn't you use the oven for cookies?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

If it was me, I would just leave the cookies in the fridge, that way they thaw out and stay cold...all you have to do is nuke them to heat them up. If you want to keep them frozen, I would set the microwave at the lowest possible power level and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Ummm-we all know I am not a great cook,but shouldn't you use the oven for cookies?
    THey are already baked though. I think they come frozen because they are all organic etc. and don't have preservatives.

This is so bizarre- I really want to know whats up with these things!

if they're already baked then you probably just have to defrost them and then maybe once defrosted, just nuke them for a few seconds, or put them in the regular oven for a few minutes.

i find baked goods in general don't do well in the microwave. the consistency goes weird.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A lot of microwaves have a "defrost" or "thaw" function, where you usually enter what you are thawing and the amount. They usually do so at less than full power, and for the appropriate amount of time for what you are thawing. I wonder if that would help.

Yes, try 50% power for 30 seconds to a minute. Then do full power for 15-30 seconds. I think you should definitely watch to make sure it doesn't explode or burn.

But generally I think that's the general rule, twice the time on defrost/half power than the cook time on full power. I make frozen Amy's Organic Enchiladas in the microwave this way, and the directions are something like that (5 minutes at 50% power, 2.5 minutes at full power.)

Thread Information