Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some baby foods worse than junk food: survey

Thumbs down Some baby foods worse than junk food: survey

Some baby foods worse than junk food: survey

LONDON (Reuters) – Some baby foods contain as much sugar and saturated fats as chocolate biscuits or cheeseburgers, a British food pressure group said on Monday.
    Publishing results of a survey of more than 100 foods for babies and toddlers, the Children's Food Campaign said Farley's rusks were 29 percent sugar and some Cow & Gate toddler biscuits contained trans fats, which have been linked to heart disease.
    "The results of this survey are staggering," said Christine Haigh, spokeswoman for the CFC.
    "Many foods marketed for babies and young children are advertised as healthy. In reality, in terms of sugar and saturated fat content, some are worse than junk food."
    The CFC survey found that 100g of Farley's Original Rusks, made by Heinz, contained 29g of sugar, more than that contained in the same weight of some chocolate digestive biscuits.
    Heinz Toddler's Own Mini Cheese Biscuits contained 7.3g of saturated fat per 100g, more than the 6.7g in an equal weight piece of a McDonald's quarter pounder burger with cheese.
    Cow & Gate, which makes a range of baby and toddler formula milks and foods, responded to the survey by halting production of its baby biscuits.
    "In discussion with the Food Standards Agency we have already taken the decision to discontinue our baby biscuits, when we became aware of the presence of hydrogenated fat, which contains a very small amount of trans fats," a spokeswoman said.
    Heinz defended its Farley's rusks as an "ideal weaning food for babies from around four months."
    "Farley's Rusks have been enjoyed by generations of babies, and some adults too, for 120 years," it said in a statement. "Enriched with vitamins and minerals, the unique Farley's Rusk recipe has remained virtually unchanged."
    The CFC, part of food and farming campaign group Sustain, said it examined the nutritional content of 107 baby and toddler foods available in UK supermarkets in March.
    It found only half the products were low in saturated fat, salt and sugar, as defined in Britain's Food Standards Agency guidance.

I say make your own. I never bought baby foods for any of my 3. It is junk...Fresh is best
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

^^^
    seriously. and with those baby food steamer thingies they make now, there is no excuse. all you do is put the veggies in, steam, then press the purée button and presto, home made baby food.
    and if you're buying baby food for when you're going out for the day or running late or whatever, there are hundreds of organic varieties available with no crap added.
    there is no excuse for feeding babies junk.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

exactly. The healthfood store has a line out called Natures harvest I thnk. Still nothing beats what you can make with fresh ingredients, but Gerber and all of those should be ashamed. And why do babies need desserts in a jar? All those contain sugar
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

We had a tiny blender and a bit of everything we ate went in there and into the baby's tummy. It wasn't hassle at all, and is significantly cheaper.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

I made all my daughter's baby food. I steamed it all and blended it. Then at 10 months I just gave her table food. It was really easy, fresh and healthy!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    We had a tiny blender and a bit of everything we ate went in there and into the baby's tummy. It wasn't hassle at all, and is significantly cheaper.
    That's what I did too. Whatever we ate, baby ate the pureed version. I think it helped in the long run too. They never were picky eaters, and they actually get a kick out of trying new foods.

Mine never liked the taste of babyfood, and I didn't have a blender,so I just used a fork to squash.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I made all my daughter's baby food. I steamed it all and blended it. Then at 10 months I just gave her table food. It was really easy, fresh and healthy!

Me too, although I did sometimes add some canned Heinz babyfood 'treats' like rice pudding. For anyone about to start weaning their kids invest in a Braun blender wand thingy. It will blitz anything and everything to a puree and it's much less fiddly to wash than a grown up blender or food processor. I still use mine to this day.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Totally made my own. An immersion blender saved my life for that. I'd just puree whatever we were eating. With number 2, he hated pureed stuff, so we just chopped what we had into tiny bits.

Hmm, when I look at the jarred baby food here, it's typically just the fruit or vegetable and water, sometimes Vitamin C added. Maybe it's just the cereals and cookies and such that are all nastified?

Nonetheless, I plan to make my own baby food, from the garden produce here as much as possible. I have been buying up some jars of organic stuff (nothing but organic fruit + water) when I see it on sale - I mean, I don't think I could even make a jar of organic apple and mango puree for 25 cents, really, and it doesn't expire until 2011. But I'll be able to make plenty of other stuff - this will just provide a nice supplement and a bit of variety for the organic ingredients I can't get cheaply.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

Jars/cans of baby food can be a lifesaver, especially if you are travelling or out and about away from the kitchen. I sometimes had to dive into a supermarket to grab a jar of something to placate a screaming brat. You just have to read the labels carefully and pick one that suits.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

We bought the Beaba Babycook Beaba Baby Cook - The Little Seedling It's sort of pricey. But, we figured that we would save money in the long run making our own food.

We just introduced carrots for the first food beyond rice cereal. Making them was super easy and they actually taste pretty good. I like it because I know exactly what's going into the baby. We also have a garden so I'll try to use our produce as much as I can.

I'm sure we'll have to buy canned stuff at some point - vacations, etc. But will try to make our own for the most part.

czb

i make all the babies' food. either it is our food cut up in tiny bits or for things like yams, i puree it. there is a website that has really good info and if anyone is interested, i will dig up the url. the only processed food they've eaten is rice rusks, cheerios, and organic teething biscuits for when they feed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Hmm, when I look at the jarred baby food here, it's typically just the fruit or vegetable and water, sometimes Vitamin C added. Maybe it's just the cereals and cookies and such that are all nastified?
    Yeah, I checked the Gerber labels that I have around right now, and the only ingredients are the veggie/fruit itself, plus vit. c. Just have to check your labels. I usually just make my own, so easy, but I do use jarred food as well.

Tati, did I miss something? Are you pregnant or planning to be?
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information